close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

G30sf trade for G29sf (update) What conversion barrel...

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by MSims, Jul 24, 2012.

1. MSims

MSims

So i decided to keep my G30sf and wanna get a 10mm barrel or should i go with the 45 super?... Who carries the barrel and what do i need to change just the barrel and mag or extractor also? And whats more powerfull the 10mm or 45 super?

Last edited: Jul 24, 2012
  2. RottnJP

RottnJP Lifetime Member

You keep asking "What's more powerful" but the better question is, "What best fits my application?"

Are you trying to hunt with your pistol? If so, .45 super may be a viable choice. With a heavy hard-cast bullet, it can be a hunting gun, although a full-size pistol would be much better suited for that.

If you're talking self defense against humans, though, .45 super is pointless. Humans don't have that tough of a hide, or big, thick shoulder bones to punch through. You also aren't striving for full penetration on a human because you don't need a blood trail.

10mm can be be used to run a 180 grain bullet a couple hundred feet per second faster than in a .40 S&W. But again, for SD, .45ACP penetrates well and expands well. If SD is all you are concerned with, I really don't see the point of a conversion to 10mm.

If all that matters to you is what's "most powerful" then you have a lot to learn yet about proper handgun selection and application. Go get a .44 magnum like Dirty Harry- Wait- .454... No, wait- .500 S&W! ...And knock yourself out.

3. attrapereves

attrapereves

I'd go with 10mm. There is a wide array of loadings available, from 135gr up to 230gr. LoneWolf, KKM, and Storm Lake all make conversion barrels. I think KKM and Storm Lake are better quality and offer better chamber support than LoneWolf.

You will need to purchase 10mm Glock mags which will fit in your G30 as the 10mm cartridge would slip right out of 45ACP mags.

I'm not too sure about the extractor, but I think people have shot 10mm out of a 21 and 30 without needing a replacement extractor. If you were willing to spend a little bit more money, you could just buy an entire G29 upper to put on your G30 frame. That way you wouldn't have to buy a conversion barrel.

4. sig357fan

sig357fan

use the search funtion and punch in "45 Super" or "10mm conversion", there are several threads on either subject.

then go into the "10 Ring" and the "10mm reloading forum" under the "Gun-Related Clubs" forum for more info, also stop by the "Reloading" forum, lotta good guys there willing to help.

and be sure to check out what else is avalible in conversion barrels from Lone Wolf Dist., KKM and Storm Lake.

sig357fan