G30sf fte

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by TRX450R_Racer, Jan 16, 2010.

1. TRX450R_Racer

TRX450R_Racer Punisher

I shot my G30SF for the first time today. I was just loading 10 in the mag (which is very hard to do) then inserting it and shooting away. On the last mag I somhow had 11 rounds left to shoot. I loaded the mag, inserted it then racked the slide. I pulled the mag out reloaded one more round to make a full mag of 10 and reinserted it into the gun. My freind was shooting it and on the fist shot he had a FTE. The trigger didn't rest so I would guess the slide didn't cycle. After that a tap and rack it emptied fine. I might not have had the last round in the mag in all the way because it's so hard to load the last one. That's the only thing I can think of that would make the slide not cycle. Any opinions on that.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2010
  2. bentbiker

bentbiker

I'm unclear what you mean by "somehow". Sounds as if you fully intended to load 10 + 1. Regardless, as you note, it takes significant force to compress even 9 cartridges when a magazine is new. When the slide cycles, the ramp must compress the cartridges as it moves rearward. Sounds as if it maybe couldn't do it with 10 in place. Some people have reported difficulty racking the slide by hand with a full magazine. If your friend's grip was anything short of totally rigid, that would contribute. I bet that if you leave the magazines fully loaded for a couple days, the springs will soften enough, if they haven't already.

Also, you can make your life easier if you load only one cartridge into the magazine, insert the magazine, rack the slide, remove the magazine, load the magazine, and re-insert the fully loaded magazine. No sense loading those last cartridges anymore than necessary.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2010

3. 45reloader

45reloader Live Free

Load the mags with 10 rounds for about 3 or 4 weeks.Every now and then empty and load the mags to loosen up the springs.But leave them fully loaded otherwise for the whole time.
    I had all the issues from nothing more then those bastard springs.

4. TRX450R_Racer

TRX450R_Racer Punisher

That was a typo. I had one in the pipe then inserted a full mag. I had both mags fully loaded for 1 week before I shot it.

5. azdick

azdick

What ammo were you using? When my 30sf was new I went to the range & bought 50 rounds of range ammo. Got some similar results, not to mention stovepipes, but the "pop" round made me do a barrel check to make sure there were no stragglers still in the tube. After examining the remaining rounds, I found the worst reloads I have ever seen -- poor resizing, some grunched primers and some very light loads. Shame on me for not examining range reloads before using.

6. blinddog

blinddog

Your friend Limp wristed,your overloaded mag may have been to much pressure on the slide?,your friend hit the slide stop with his thumb while the slide was cycleing. Try loading the mags with ten and insert them with the slide back, then slingshot the slide, ( do not ride it down let recoil spring do it then shoot as normal. You will have 1 ONE round in chamber, and 9. nine rounds in the mag.

7. TRX450R_Racer

TRX450R_Racer Punisher

To clarify I had 10 rounds in the mag and one in the pipe. I'm not sure if the 10th round I loaded in the mag was full seated. It might have be somewhat jambed in there. After he fired the first round the spent casing didn't eject. Plus the trigger wasn't reset. That tells me the slide never came back. The empty case was still in the chamber and the gun was still in battery like it was ready to shoot. I'm hoping that the problem was me not loading the last round corectly.

8. mr smithglock

mr smithglock

shoot it about 100 more times and see what happens. 1 time, sounds like a shooter error. I think your ok.

9. MilitantBEEMER

MilitantBEEMER

I had the same thing on my very first clip through the 30sf. After that it never happened again. About 600-700 rounds through it and no issues other than some bad primered ammo I shot today.

10. bentbiker

bentbiker

The fact that none of us commented on that possibility doesn't mean we didn't understand you -- it's just that a stiff magazine possibly coupled with a weak grip seems far more likely to the responders. Just do 9 + 1 until the magazine softens up and you won't have a problem.

11. 45reloader

45reloader Live Free

I agree fully.The springs take awhile to relax.

12. beforeobamabans

beforeobamabans FYPM

I like to simulate a carry situation at the range so I always load the gun to 10+1 at least once. A full ten round mag still requires more force than normal to get locked in with the slide closed and a round chambered. I've finally decided that if I keep forcing them in there, eventually I'll bend something out of the way. It's a real shame Glock doesn't fix this design flaw so that the G30SF is 100% like all their 9mms.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2010
  13. 45reloader

45reloader Live Free

I agree
    The good thing is the mags will fit soon

14. beforeobamabans

beforeobamabans FYPM

Thanks for the reinforcement. One year and one thousand rounds and it's still not "perfection" as my 17 and 26 have been from Day One.