Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hope this is the right place to pose this question.

When I remove the slide from my new 30S, the spring is not seated in the "quarter moon" groove on the barrel. I re-position the spring so it sits as close to the barrel as possible and replace the slide and rack it a couple of times and remove the slide and it is again not seated as close to the barrel as it will go. It is still retained, but rides up out of the groove about 3/16" of an inch or so. Is that normal?

I am new with Glocks and trying to learn

Also, if I put my finger on top of the assembled gun by the front sight and my thumb underneath on the frame, I get some movement as I squeeze a bit. Not much movement, but it's there. Is that normal?

Hope I explained myself well enough. Is something not right here?

Thanks!

·
Registered
220 Posts
The recoil spring is meant to do that. It moves down when you rack it. It only goes all the way into the notch so you can assemble it.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Ohub Campfire mobile app

·
Crusty Member
10,874 Posts
It is normal...but on the 30S, it seems to drop farther out of the assembly position than any other Glock I've owned, making the 30S the most resistant to field stripping.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, you've eased my mind.

·
Transform & Win
3,347 Posts
Also, if I put my finger on top of the assembled gun by the front sight and my thumb underneath on the frame, I get some movement as I squeeze a bit. Not much movement, but it's there. Is that normal?
Some flexing of the frame dust cover at the muzzle of the Glock pistol is entirely normal. No worries.

The movement is part of the design of the pistol to manage the recoil energy and control slide velocity for correct timing of the system. If the frame is too stiff it can cause feed malfunctions. For example, a few years ago the 40S&W Glock pistols with tac lights attached to the accessory rail began to exhibit feed malfunctions. The tac light stiffened the frame to the point the slide velocity increased enough to throw off timing. Glock increased the mag spring strength to compensate for the higher slide velocity.

Search YouTube for high-speed videos of a Glock firing. You will be amazed at how much the forward frame flexes in normal operation.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Yes it normal but
Wish people around here would stop making excuses for sloppy workmanship on the glock.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts