G30 vs G36

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by Raiderman, Jan 25, 2010.

1. Raiderman

Raiderman

I am ready to purchase my 2nd Glock. I currently have a G19.
    I now want a .45 ACP. I want a smaller gun, as I may carry it in lieu of the G19 once in awhile, and I have small hands.
    Which is the better choice for me G30, G30 SF, or G36.

Thank you in advance.

2. den888

den888

Some find the G30 to be pretty thick. I would try them out on a range or hold them at a gunshop to be sure.

3. Meathead9

Meathead9

I don't have big hands, and the G30SF fits like a glove. I do agree you should shoot any handgun before you buy it. Checking it out at the counter just doesn't cut it sometimes. It's my carry gun, and it's not hard at all to conceal.

4. coq

coq Raging Member

Both are great options. One plus of the 36 is that you'll be able to use all your G19 holsters. While the 30 is next on my list, I currently have the 19 and 36...and when going IWB, carry the 36 (Kahr PM9 for pocket). My 19 doesn't get carried much due to slight extra grip thickness.

5. Ed Carneal

Ed Carneal

If I wanted a .45acp Glock for CS, I'd go with the G36. I have one and it's an excellent weapon. The single column magazine is the ticket for me.

6. Big Sam

Big Sam

What Den888 said. Very good advice.

Compared to your G19, the G36 is thinner and just a bit lighter. I have big hands and find the G36 a little too thin for me. Causes me pain when shooting one handed. A good friend of mine has a G36. He has smaller hands and is very deadly with his G36. The measured dimensions of the G36 make is seem nearly a clone to the G19. For actual carry you'll find the G36 thinner and easier to conceal. About the only downside I can think of (assuming your hand fits it) is you have to live with 6+1 rounds.

By comparision the G30 SF grip would probably do you fine. I have the regular grip on my G30 and it's perfect for my big hands. Either version of the G30 are heavier and thicker than your G19. The trade compared to the G36 is that your get 10+1 rounds for a noticeable increase in bulk and weight with less felt recoil. It's not a deal breaker. Just differences. I carry my standard G30 more than anything else. YMMV and probably will.

Good luck. Hope you can shoot them before purchase.

7. Pappy John

Pappy John

The G19 and G36 are so close in size that, if you choose the 36, you may be able to use your current holster.

I'll never part with my 36. Great carry weapon. I found the G29 (exact same size as the G30) to be a bit thick for IWB carry.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2010
  8. SagKC

SagKC

Agree you may want to shoot both before deciding. Holding them is fine, but shooting them will help you decide since there is a notable difference in thickness between them.

IMHO, they both shoot great, and I have average size hands. They also both carry easily with the G36 slimmer and lighter than the G30, and both carry well.

My carry rotation has slowed to just carrying the G30 this winter, and loving it!

9. faawrenchbndr

faawrenchbndr CLM

I perefer the G30's grip over the G30sf. The size of G30 grips
    keeps me from getting "Glock compact knoucle"

I FINALLY hels a G36 today,......did not care for it at all.
    It just did not feel right, can't explain it. :dunno:

10. DonGlock26

DonGlock26

It's simple Austrian mathematics:

Small hands + CCW + G-19 holsters = G36

11. Clownblaster3000

Clownblaster3000

The 19 and 36 are about the same size with the 36 being slimer. The 30 is going to be chunkier. If you're happy with your 19 but want something a little leaner for carry, the 36 is the only way to go.

12. FlyfishermanMike

FlyfishermanMike

The difference between the 30 and 30SF is so small, like 3mm. But when you hold each the difference can be huge! I'm one who bought a 30 over the 30SF because it fits my hand better. We can type until we're all blue in the hands but until you hold them you'll never know which is better for you. Yes, the 36 is thinner but you loose capacity. There's a lot of great advice here but only you can decide which gun best fits you and that can only be done in first person.

Honestly which ever one you choose will be a great gun. You can't go wrong with any one.

^^ike

13. byf43

byf43 NRA Patron Life Member

I've got 'ham hands' and the G19 and G30SF fit really well.

Before I bought the G30SF, I held the G36, and really like it.
    The G36 actually feels really good in my slightly arthritic hands.
    The magazine capacity has never been a concern, since I've carried a 1911 w/7 round mags, for years.

The concern I had was that the recoil impulse was 'more sharp' with the G36, compared to the G30 and G30SF. (They were described as a 'push' instead of a 'shove'.)
    I wish that there was a range nearby that I could rent a G36, to see first-hand how it feels.
    I'd take the money out of the bank and get one, in a heartbeat.

14. Atlas

Atlas transmogrifier

My hands are so small (14-year-old-girl-size) that a G19 is too large for me.
    Not a lot too large, but enough that I can't avoid pulling off-target when I pull the trigger.

The G36 is pretty comfortable and I shoot it better than any other handgun (besides perhaps a 1911). My G36 has been 100% reliable, never a hiccup with any ammo I load.
    It's my favorite handgun period.

Having said that, in the past couple of weeks I've done a grip-reduction to a G19 using heat to flatten the backstrap. Now the G19 fits me nicely also.

Next I'm gonna do a little grip-reduction on the G36. Gotta reduce that hump a bit.

15. diode

diode

I have never mentioned it here because the G36 gets slammed on a somewhat regular basis, but I agree with you on the feel. It is not bad and I cannot give a good reason why either, so I passed and went with a G30.

Perfection in a .45 with 10+1 that has been with me for 2-1/2 years. Yes, I did have some weird failures to return to battery early on, but the more I shot it, the better it felt and got. Now at 800 rounds I have discovered the perfect loading for MY weapon is 5gr Titegroup with 230 FMJ on the practice range. Somewhat hot, like carry ammo but the powder name describes the groups. Tight. (When I do my part of the job.) One very happy camper.

jb

16. dal205

dal205

I bought a G36 a couple of months ago. Holding the G30 reminded me of holding the business end of a baseball bat. That's just me. I love the way the G36 fits my hand. I shot 106 rounds on my first range trip and could have shot 200 more ifn I had had them. I do not feel unarmed with 6+1 in the gun and 7 (Pearce +1 extension) in my pocket, all loaded with Speer 230gr GDHP.

Here's a post of my one and only range trip (so far)....

http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1161570

17. pterodon

pterodon

Another plug for the G36. My G30 has taken up residence in my nightstand while my G36 has become my favorite carry piece. Thin and light to be sure, but also well balanced and pleasing in the way it points and shoots. Load it up with 6+1 of +P 185gr DPX and you've got yourself a an ideal carry gun.

With a bore big enough to fall into it means business... :cool:

18. Gabby

Gabby

My 36 also carries well in a Fobus ankle holster due to its thinner profile.

19. blktie8

blktie8 NRA Always

Sounds like you are answering you're own question

I have the g36 and I have large hands so I doubt it would matter while shooting .

The g36 is narrower than the 30
    Easier to carry and shoot with smaller hands

Both are excellent
    30 holds more ammo
    your call
    Try um out
    John Sr.