G30 Snap Caps STUCK!!

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by SteadyGlock, Jan 30, 2010.

1. SteadyGlock

SteadyGlock

As usual, I begin by apologizing if this topic has either (1) been talked to death, or (2) I'm posting this in the wrong section. As far as I can tell, this is the place to do it.

Got a new G30 some weeks ago. Ordered grips from Pachmayr, and picked up some .45 auto snap caps. Dropped one in the barrel, eased the slide closed, and found it wouldn't close all the way. Had a similar experience with caps I used with my G17, so I closed the slide with a bit more velocity and it closed completely. However, unlike my 9mm caps, the .45 caps didn't extract when I pulled the slide back. Also, there was clearly NO contact made with the firing pin. Only way I could get the thing out of the barrel was to field strip the weapon, and then carefully pry the cap out with a butter knife. It wasn't SUPER tight, but definitely snug. I tried the other caps in the package and had the same result. The caps have "Pachmayer" printed on the side, but it says "made in Italy" and look very similar to the 9mm caps I bought from Cabellas.

Can anyone tell me what the heck is going on? Is there a simple way to deal with the problem or am I outta luck? I can practice dry firing with my G17, but I really want to work with the G30. It's become my absolute #1 firearm. :dunno:

2. KilgoreTrout

KilgoreTrout Impossiblist

i dont know.

i just dry fire mine.

3. Butch

Butch RetiredDinosaur Millennium Member CLM

It's called 'shooter error'.

You should load the snap cap the same way you load live ammo.....from the magazine.

When you put it in the chamber and then close the slide on it, you're slamming the front of the extractor against the back of the cartridge rim, and I suspect that the plastic 'case mouth' of the snap cap is simply being driven past the chamber into the barrel a short distance.

It's also not good for the extractor, do it enough times and it will likely break.

Can you post a pic of one of the snap caps that you did this with?

Last edited: Jan 30, 2010
  4. bluejdixon

bluejdixon Ammo Hoarder

Butch is exactly right on this (as usual). :supergrin:

Like he said, load it from the magazine like you mean it. No more slide riding.

5. AK47Man

AK47Man Expert Marksman

+1 Dry Fire...:rock:

6. bentbiker

bentbiker

Whether you have plastic or aluminum Snap Caps, you are pushing them into the barrel with the extractor.

7. SteadyGlock

SteadyGlock

Well, what can I say Butch....once again, it's You to the Rescue! Thanks so much, I owe you many. :patriot:

I put a couple in a clip and loaded from there. Working perfectly, now. Click and a ping, just the sound I was looking for.

Here are the best pics I can manage....my camera won't let me get too close, so the detail might not be great. Anyway, let me know any further thoughts you have, Butch, and thanks again!!

View attachment 190103

View attachment 190104

Last edited: Jan 31, 2010
  8. axhoaxho

axhoaxho

It happened to me on my G19 with a snap cap (the red plastic color one.)

My snap cap was a little more than twenty years old and was out of shape, so I wouldn't blame it for being stuck in the chamber. My bad.

What I did to get it out was:

First I pull the slide back, and I could see the snap cap was stuck well inside the chamber. From the front side of the barrel (the side that the bullet comes out), I dropped a good few drops of gun oil down the barrel. I let it soap for a good ten to twenty minutes, so to help lubricate the space between the snap cap and the barrel.

Then I found a pair of those take-out-order Japanese restaurant wooden chopstickers. I carefully chose one wooden chopstick that fit my G19 barrel nicely (not too loose yet not too tight.) Then I gently (with a little thurst) used the chopstick to push the well-lubricated snap cap out of the barrel.

The key is to do it as gentle as we can without damaging the barrel or any other parts of the pistol. After the snap cap was out, I disassembled my G19, cleaned it, and inspected for any possible damage. Luckily in my case, all was well.

Hope it helps.

With best regards,

9. SteadyGlock

SteadyGlock

Hey, thanks....I must be a total idiot, because I never even thought about your "chopstick extraction"....sheesh! Anyway, thanks for the pointers!

10. FlyfishermanMike

FlyfishermanMike

Get rid of those crappy plastic ones and pick up the aluminum A-Zoom ones.

Nice OD G30. I almost got me one but went black. Isn't it an awesome gun?!

11. mad.gunsmith

mad.gunsmith NRA and GSSF Life Member

+1 +1 Dry Fire...:rock:

12. rich n

rich n

The guys over at Glock FAQ say you can dry fire as much as you want without damaging.No mention of any snap caps.I'm new to Glocks and this forum so what gives?

13. FlyfishermanMike

FlyfishermanMike

Snap caps are like insurance. There are plenty of threads around with pics of blown and cracked breech faces. Check this one out.

Glock dry firing? Breech face pic

Are they due to dry firing? Want to find out? I figure why not use them.

^^ike

14. rich n

rich n

Yeah saw thoes pics before and what you say makes sense.Any idea what Glock has to say about it?

15. SteadyGlock

SteadyGlock

Check the post two spots before yours. The topic of whether or not dry firing is a bad idea has been discussed at length in other threads. It seems like it would be OK, but the snap caps are fairly cheap and last for a long time, so I feel like it's good insurance. The only reason NOT to use caps is laziness. :rock:......:rofl:

Thanks again to Butch for setting me straight on my original question!

Steady