G30 slide lock spring breakage common?

Discussion in 'The Big Dawgs Club' started by OldNorthState, Apr 1, 2016.

1. OldNorthState

OldNorthState

I may be more well served to have placed this question in a more general area of the GT forum, but we'll see. Recently, I read an article by a respectable and apparently fairly well known LE-background trainer who said that at one time he carried a G30 and loved it ,but gave it up and got rid of it due to confidence issues after having 7 (yes, that's seven) SLIDE LOCK SPRINGS (not to be confused with the slide stop lever or spring) break in the weapon. Not at all doubting the fellow on the veracity of what he said, but I find that to be almost unbelieveable, even if he was running relatively high round counts with the piece. He's also a GLOCK armorer, and is still a GLOCK advocate, though one of his larger points in the article is that there is no such thing as "Perfection" in ANY brand of firearm, much less our favored G-brand, with which I fully concur. (It's actually a helpful "maintenance" based article, otherwise. It's here: http://www.activeresponsetraining.net/are-glocks-truly-perfection )

At any rate, here is my question for you, today: Has anyone else heard of this level of failure with the slide lock spring - or any other particular part on the G30 of whatever generation - that would render it "non confidence inspiring" as a serious carry/combat piece?

2. rockchalk06

rockchalk06

Never. Not even with other models. I have experienced and read about a million different snafu's with the 22's, but never the SL spring. Unless he is using an aftermarket slide lock that could some how putting a weird bind on the spring, I really cant think of a reason it broken that many times.

The guy may have been a one in a million, but that many malfunctions, all being the same, has me questioning his word some. I'm not calling him a liar, but I would have to see it to believe it. On another note, why would you let the gun get to a total of 7 of the same malfunctions before you either got rid of the gun or sent it off to Glock? I think after 3, I'd be like hell no.

3. OldNorthState

OldNorthState

Rockchalk06, that was pretty much my take, too. Had to be "something" odd about the setup... "Glock armorer" notwithstanding. I do think the writer is reputable, however.

Anyone else want to weigh in, here? Let's hear it...

4. chauncey

chauncey

Yes
    I experienced a failure of this nature in my G30 gen 2. When I complained about it on Glocktalk I got blasted for heresy.

5. OldNorthState

OldNorthState

"Been there"....

6. OldNorthState

OldNorthState

Also, I understand that it's possible (and maybe pretty easy) to set the slide lock backwards.