G30 SF vs. G26

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by deerslayer666, Mar 20, 2010.

1. deerslayer666

deerslayer666 Member

I have a G30 SF and I love it, but sometimes I think I should have got a G26 because it is slightly smaller (and it is the smallest glock) and a 9mm tends to have less muzzle jump than a 45acp, but has less stopping power. What do you think?:dunno:

2. GunFighter45ACP

GunFighter45ACP

shoot what you've got. If you step down in caliber, in my experience, you'll be stepping back up again soon, which = extras costs & extra headaches fretting on what to do.

If, the G30sf is 'too big' for your tastes for CCW, then I'd say to skip the G26 & look at a G27 or possibly a G39

3. cyrsequipment

cyrsequipment Angry

I have both (although my 30 is a regular frame) I like them both. The 26 isn't the smallest Glock, the 36 is "slightly" smaller than a 26, but the 36 is a .45 also. To be honest, I shoot them both about the same. the 26 is a bit easier to conceal but I carry the 30 much more often because it fits my hand better. Plus my duty gun as a glock 21 and I am a creature of habit.

4. KS Trekker

KS Trekker That Guy

I carry a G26 every day and love it for it's compact size and reduced weight over the G30. However, I am buying a G30 for home defense. I'll probably carry the G30 as a woods gun too. I actually shoot better with the G30. To me, it seems the recoil on the G30 is more of a rearward push than muzzle flip like the 9mm models.

5. paulbow

paulbow

get a G36

6. beforeobamabans

beforeobamabans FYPM

I have both and I'm glad I do. As you know, the 30 is a wonderfully versatile platform. I can carry it quite comfortably in my Crossbreed ST and it makes a wonderful range and HD weapon especially with 13 round G21 mags. However, there is no question that it is a large, heavy gun. I got my G26 in Dec and I love it. With my Brommeland Max Con V it disappears in a way the G30SF never will. The 26 weighs nearly HALF A POUND less than a G30. That is a VERY noticeable difference. I agree with Gabe Suarez who teaches it is better to go down scale in caliber than in capacity. 10+1 in such a light, tidy package is great. I'm afraid the carrying days are over for my G30SF. I will never sell it though. So as you can see, you need both.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2010
  7. Strahley

Strahley

I wouldn't buy a gun because one caliber has more "stopping power" than the other. Both will get the job done if you do your part, and neither will get the job done if you don't

8. glock19 lover

glock19 lover

you beat me to it... I totally agree with you on this one. I was going to by a G30 because of the "man stopper round" but i now know that is all about shot placement so i went with a G19.

9. beforeobamabans

beforeobamabans FYPM

Capacity over caliber is the correct decision. Hard to beat the 16 up of the G19 unless of course you have a G17 with 18 rounds of devastating Winchester Ranger on board! :cool:

10. Claymore 51

Claymore 51

11. GunFighter45ACP

GunFighter45ACP

Capacity over Caliber? Please tell me more about this theory. Perhaps a different thread would be appropriate, so as not to hijack. I am unfamiliar w/this & would like to know more about it.

12. beforeobamabans

beforeobamabans FYPM

I'll PM you.

13. msmith5202

msmith5202

Just got my G30 last week. Put the 13 rd mag in it with the grip extension. It fits my hand great. I will be getting 2 more mags and grips like it. Still like shooting my G26. Just to different worlds is all.

14. nebraska lawdog

nebraska lawdog

I had a G26 and upgraded to a G30SF to go along with my G21SF. Ammo and magazine compatability were the issues with me.

15. huntingbuddy

huntingbuddy

A friend asked me why I carry a 45, I told him because they don't make a 55. Now, on the reality side, I think you should carry the heaviest caliber you can handle and shoot accurately. Larger caliber bullets make larger holes and do more damage to tissue, which is what it is all about, but, if you can not hit what you are aiming at, a cannon would do you no good. This is my humble opinion and I am sure that many others feel differently, that is why we are lucky that we live in the country where we do, we are all entitled to our own opinions, FOR NOW.

16. KCabbage

KCabbage

I'm sorry if I missed it but have you shot a 26?

Go with the one that feels and shoots the best.

Stopping power is hitting the vital areas on your attacker. After all the cases i've seen and read about i've learned theres not much of a difference between the 9, 40, 45. Theres even a thread tacked in the caliber corner of a suspect saying it felt like bee stings when he was shot with several .45 ACP hollow points.

17. CynicX

CynicX

So is carrying gun with a 20 rd capacity of .22 LR better then a 17 rounds of 9mm too? Interesting I never knew that! (sarcasm intended)

18. CynicX

CynicX

Post this link please. I've read in war of drug induced insurgents being literally knocked DOWN with .45acp BALL ammo. JHP hit center mass should lay pretty much anyone on there back. The wound should prevent them from getting back up...

19. Markasaurus

Markasaurus

i have 3 other pistols and 1 rifle (mini 14) but if i could own only one gun it would be my G26. Beautiful, simple, small powerhouse it is my favorite gun. I like it even better with the Pearce grip on the mag ($10 for a pearce grip) it is just as small as my Bersa 380!

I think your opinion as to getting a 26 is the correct one, i would not want to fire a glock of this size in 45 ACP! But for the G26, 9mm the recoil is very manageable and even comfortable.
    You probably have a lot of 45 auto ammo and so on for the 45 Glock, why not just wait for used G26 to become available or look on gunbroker? I bought my G26 for almost $600 for everything OTD (just the gun and all the fees), then 2 WEEKS LATER what do i see at the same gunstore, a used one in great condition for $475!!!
    AH some things just make you want to swear.

20. MarkTX

MarkTX

For CHL'ers the G26 is the one that will get carried more often -its much smaller than a G30. Granted folks tell me all the time they tote the G30 with no problem but mine always got left home because the G27/G26 was some much more comfy and easy to carry concealed.