close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

G30 problems/Glock Svc

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by DonD, Jun 14, 2004.

1. DonD

DonD

I've had 4 Glocks, 27, 23, 21 and now 30. The first three have been completely reliable with all kinds of ammo. The 30 is totally reliable with Blazer FMJs but not so with hollow point ammo such as Speer 200gr +P Gold Dots and Federal LE tactical.

Called Glock and they said to return it and suggested FedEx might have ground shipment. No dice, they wanted $38 plus $55 to ship two boxes of ammo for Glock to troubleshoot with!!! Called Glock again and they volunteered to pay shipping both ways, so I paid $1.77 for the box and off it goes. They said the gun should function with the hollow points and said they will either fix it or give me a new gun. If the gun comes back reliable, can't beat that kind of service. Don :) :)

2. MrMurphy

MrMurphy ********* Moderator Lifetime Member Millennium Member

That sounds odd, G30s generally eat everything.

3. dhoomonyou

dhoomonyou

Please let us know the outcome.
    I have a 30 and it eats everything.
    thanks.

4. LDHunter

LDHunter

DonD,

Exactly what kind of problems were you having?

$bob$

5. CCV

CCV Millennium Member

I'd be interested in the outcome of this one myself. Please keep us posted.

6. DonD

DonD

UPS really did their thing, the 30 arrived at Smyrna today, less than 24 hrs in transit. The armorer said it would be a 10 day turnaround or less. He said feeding problems with the 45s are unusual and the 30 is no exception and expected the solution to be easy to find.

The gun has been flawless with Blaser 230 FMJs but not so with Speer 200gr +P Gold Dots and Federal LE Tactical 230gr +P. Last time out I got 2 jams out of 40 rds. I've had 3 other Glocks (21, 23 & 27) and have never had a malfunction with any factory ammo. I say that so I don't get the "limp wristing" suggestion. The gun usually jams on odd numbered rounds (i.e., #1, 3, 5, 7, 9). When it jams, it usually wedges a round between the slide and the rear of the chamber with the hollowpoint hitting the breech at about the 11 o'clock position. Wouldn't be easy to clear in an emergency. Rear of breech has a significant shiny spot covering about the 8-11 o'clock position. I've had people suggesting a heavier recoil spring saying that slide velocity was too high. Glock armorer dismissed that suggestion.

Oh, well, I expect it to be a normal flawlessly functioning Glock when I get it back. Hate to be without it. I just got my CCW license and the only other handgun is completely inappropriate (a S&W 500 Mag) for defensive purposes, so the 12 ga auto in the bedroom has to suffice. Don

7. LDHunter

LDHunter

Weak mag springs...;Q

$bob$

8. DonD

DonD

I'd like to think that was the case but the last time at the range I used brand new mags just out of Glocks factory plastic wrap. Don

9. LDHunter

LDHunter

I'm not a gunsmith but the first thing that happens when you use "hot" ammo is a greatly increased slide speed.

You can accomodate for this by using Wolff +5% or +10% mags springs and/or using Wolff non-captive guide rod with a stiffer mainspring.

If you suspect you are pushing it a bit hard and are worried about damage to your Glock it's best to replace the slide springs. If you just think that your slide speed it outrunning your mag springs ability to get the "next" cartridge up in time for slide return and stripping from the top of the mag and subsequent chambering then usually just a more powerful mag spring will do it. I replace both.

If you want to talk to a guru on this subject contact Mike McNett of www.doubletapammo.com and he'll probably have a solution for you right away. Mike is very easy to talk to and is an absolute wealth of information. He will also likely have the Wolff springs you need at a very reasonable cost. 1-866-357-10mm is his number and his "help line" hours are noon to 6pm mountain time.

$bob$

10. DonD

DonD

LDHunter, I'm not dismissing anything you say. I'm only repeating that the Smyrna armorer didn't think slide velocity was the issue but he thought the solution would be a minor issue. Don

11. WalterGA

WalterGA Millennium Member

I wouldn't expect a Glock armorer to know much more than how to change parts. His "dismissal" of the increased slide speed was probably due to his lack of ability to do anything about increased slide speed. Those of us who understand a little about the laws of physics use heavier recoil springs with hot loads. :) (Of course, if the Glock armorer were as smart as I, he'd be doing something else for a living!;))

12. DonD

DonD

WalterGA, what is the factory recoil spring weight? I don't know. If it comes back and still has problems, I'll try a heavier non captured spring. Don

13. WalterGA

WalterGA Millennium Member