close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

G30 having trouble feeding hard cast bullets

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by whitebread, Nov 7, 2011.

1. whitebread

whitebread ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

My G30 has a lot of trouble feeding the Buffalo Bore 255 grain hard cast cartridges (with LWD barrel, of course). Out of a ten round mag, it gets hung up at least once or twice. Traditional jacketed bullets never hiccup.

Has any one else had success with these cartridges? Could it be contributed to the lack of jacket? The flat nose?

2. MajorD

MajorD

try the factory barrel- it is often a problem with the lwd chamber dimensions. I shoot tons of cast through the factory barrel- with a few passes of a brass brush every couple hundred round no leading issues. I have seen very few malfunctions of glocks with the factory barrel even with lead. Many aftermarket barrels have tighter chambers and decrease reliability. Contrary to poular beleif with a little care your glock will not turn into a hand grenade with cast bullets.

3. CanyonMan

CanyonMan In The Saddle

This is true !

CM

4. SJ 40

SJ 40 Deplorable,Clinger

Whitebread I would bet the flat nose. Example, I have two rifles same model,same caliber. One will eat the old H&G #.130 ,185 gr. swc like popcorn,alas the other one chokes on them. Because of the rifles design the common bullet they are designed for is the round nosed flat point,some will and some wont. SJ 40

5. Sonnytoo

Sonnytoo

Sir, that Buffalo Bore ammo is a flathead, not round-nose. I'm quite sure that is the problem. I sold my G30 some time ago, so can't check it for you, but my G36 hangs up with my flathead (SWC) reloads about once or twice in each mag. I use only stock Glock barrels.
    My G36 is 100% with any RN, JHP or XTP type bullet; each of them almost a round-nose. I shoot Berry and Rainier plated RN, Hornady XTP's and Remington jacketed RN and have no problems with feeding.
    I suppose you could throat and polish the barrel, and perhaps that would help you with that Lone Wolf barrel.
    S2

6. whitebread

whitebread ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Thanks for the help, guys. This is my 'woods load' so having a reliable setup is preferable. I will try polishing the feed ramp and see how that does - I may also try the stock barrel if that fails, but I know I will have a hard time sleeping after throwing lead bullets through polygonal rifling.

7. ron59

ron59 Bustin Caps

Glocks are notorious for not feeding SWCs (semi wad cutters) very well in .45ACP.

A *few* guys claim they have no issues, but the majority say don't even try it. I reload, and this gets brought up every few months in the Reloading Forum.

If you reload, you have the ability to change the OAL slightly which might help, but if you're buying manufactured rounds, don't have that as an option. If you are reloading, you need to post this in the reloading forum.

8. Bushflyr

Bushflyr ʇno uıƃuɐɥ ʇsnɾ Millennium Member

Take a close look at exactly how it's getting "hung up," that term really doesn't mean anything. Typically I would polish the chamber, especially the top where the nose of the round hits it, polish the feed ramp, radius the transition from feed ramp to chamber, and radius and polish the bottom of the extractor. Just about guaranteed that will fix your issues provided they aren't mag induced.