G30 for hunting...

Discussion in 'The Big Dawgs Club' started by IowaLefty, Mar 8, 2016.

1. IowaLefty

IowaLefty

I own a Gen 3 G30 and just love it. I CCW with it and shoot it at the range. I do have a standard length KKM barrel for it and do reload .45 ACP, both cast and plated bullets. I am wanting to possible start carrying it hunting with me for whitetail. I would be probably shooting factory .45 Super through the KKM barrel and only using on shots inside 50 yards and more likely 20-30 yards in most instances. I mainly bow hunt in small woodlots now. My question is, how well will my current G30 work for this application, or should I look more to a G21 and 6" KKM barrel with a comp, or ported? If the 30 will be just fine, anything else I will need to shoot factory .45 Super loads? Even though I do reload, I don't plan on shooting a lot of .45 Super and don't plan on loaded up any really hot loads.

2. es 350

es 350

Hello Iowa Lefty,

I have a threaded LWD barrel and comp of my design along with SS guide rod and Wolff 23 lb spring for shooting Rowland level 45 SUPER loads from my G30.

As a minimum I would run a 23 lb spring on a SS rod for factory 45 Super loads.
    The lighter bullets are also easier on the frame as they don't produce as high of slide velocity as the heavier bullets do.

IMO if brass is ejecting 8 ft or further , slide is pounding frame too hard for a large number of rds.

I have harvested several deer with 45 Super's both 1911's and G21 , both have worked as well as my 44 mag has on deer IMO.
    The largest bodied buck I have seen ran maybe 50 yds after taking a 260 gr, RNFP @ 1075 fps through the chest from my 1911 @49 yds. All others have been DRT!
    Most important is shot placement.
    My G30 is plenty accurate for deer hunting to 50 yds or more and plan to use it next year. As long as I do my part it will do fine.

Handgun hunting is a lot like bow hunting, seasons are just much shorter, good luck with your 30 and post some pics of your success!

3. ducati

ducati

What rod are you running on this?

4. es 350

es 350

I machine my own SS guide rods.
    The factory rod can be used by cutting off the end but will not last very long with the heavier springs.

5. ducati

ducati

Thanks for the reply