Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
familyman
3,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took a coworker to the range recently. She had never fired a handgun. As a first timer, I trained her up in basic safety and dry firing, and then over an hour plus, she shot the G17, three mags...the Kahr P9, 2 mags...and then...

...she put 4 rounds into about 2 little inches at 25 feet with the G30SF. This was impressive, and tighter than her other shooting, which was pretty darn tight as well.

A small anecdotal sample but I find the G30 to be relatively, inherently, easy(er?) to shoot ACCURATELY...

Is it THUS, and WHY???

·
XD40
465 Posts
Its funny. I shoot every few weeks and I am much better with my G30 and my P220 than any other gun. Same ammo, caliber, distance, etc with the other guns but these just feel better in my hand and I'm able to line it up better. That might just be her gun.

·
Registered
69 Posts
My G-30 shoots MUCH more accurately than I do, a misplaced round is NOT the gun's fault!

·
familyman
3,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Why is it so?

·
Registered
311 Posts
I shoot my G30 better (i.e. more consistent) than the 9mm/.40sw Glocks. IMO, it's about trigger control in how the fatter/larger grip changes the index finger's stroke/pull. I imagine some will some won't relative to hand size. However, I also find the double recoil spring Glock to give tighter groups. This has been the case with my G30, G26 (x2) and G27 (x2) compared to G21, G19 (x2), G23 (x2), G17.

·
Registered
230 Posts
It certainly isn't hard for me to believe that the 30 was/is the most accurate piece of the bunch. I find it amazing how accurate some of the compacts and "babies" can be with their ammo of choice.

·
In The Saddle
10,333 Posts
As with any firearm, it does help to have somone behind the gun that can shoot. ;) BUT, that being said. Every G30 I've had, up to and including the one I now have, has been a tack driver with any ammo I stick in it.

I hate to admit it, but my current G30 will stay right with my very expencive 1911. I talked my brother into one, and it has made him look real good. Ha. Since he is not that good a shot to begin with. ha.

Like coal said, perhaps the double spring set up. I really do not have an answer for "why". But I do know the G30's seem to be tremendously accurate. My is, even at very long range shooting as well. Nice little gun.

CanyonMan

·
Registered
26 Posts
I'm better with my G30 than any other compact handgun I've ever owned, rented or borrowed...Glock, 1911 or otherwise...I sold my other handguns and just buy rifles now

·
Registered
49 Posts
It is puzzling to me too.
I have 5 Glocks and I shoot my G30 much better than any of the others. I occasionally shoot with some friends, and they shoot my G30 better than most of their own guns. In fact, a couple of the guys have traded for a G30.
My G30 will shoot cheap imported .45 ammo as well as any other ammo I have fed it.
Needless to say, I really like my G30.
8905c

·
20,441 Posts
It's always been a mystery. Perhaps it is the stiffness of the short frame. Perhaps it is the twist rate of the short barrel. Perhaps it is a combination of the two. It is a known fact that the G30, G30SF and G38 are exceptionally accurate Glocks.

·
Registered
5,231 Posts
but I've always thought the .45ACP was a bit more accurate then the general semi-auto pistol round regardless of the platform.

·
LoneStarGlocker
737 Posts
Well hate to break the mold but out of all the glocks ive owned my G30 was the most inaccurate, while my 19 and 26 have been the most, but that is to say i shoot the 19 better than the 30. All these guns are tackdrivers its the shooter that makes it or breaks it.

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
I believe it has to do with the grip. Most compacts have a small grip and the G30 has a grip that just soaks up recoil. Add in the dual recoil system and the huge slide and recoil is kept to a minimum.
I used to wonder why Glock chose to make the barrel on the G30 just shy of 4" instead of actually making it 4 inches long. Perhaps the Glock engineers figured out the optimal barrel length for the 45acp who knows.

All I do know is if I shoot my Dad's G36 I can't shoot it near as accurate as my G30 and the majority of the energy comes back into the web of my hand on the G36 where as the recoil is spread evenly throughout my hands on the G30 so I dont feel any pressure points.

Just my theory.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I too feel that my G30 is the most accurate handgun that I have shot. I believe its due too the larger grip, the fatter and heavier slide, and the dual spring. Its almost like the recoil pushes mainly straight back instead of up and you get less muzzle flip.IMHO

·
Registered
149 Posts
apparently I should have read Seawolf's post before I basically just repeated everything he said.

·
FYPM
5,596 Posts
I took a coworker to the range recently. She had never fired a handgun. As a first timer, I trained her up in basic safety and dry firing, and then over an hour plus, she shot the G17, three mags...the Kahr P9, 2 mags...and then...

...she put 4 rounds into about 2 little inches at 25 feet with the G30SF. This was impressive, and tighter than her other shooting, which was pretty darn tight as well.

A small anecdotal sample but I find the G30 to be relatively, inherently, easy(er?) to shoot ACCURATELY...

Is it THUS, and WHY???
I had a similar experience with my 22 yo daughter. First trip to the range, I took the 30 (ostensibly for me) and the 26 for her. She has small hands so naturally I thought the 26 would be best. She found it snappy and hard to control. Just to say she shot a .45, she went ahead and tried the 30 and loved it. She found it to be a softer shooter than the 26 and immediately started laying lead on target. This convinces me that it is the lack of recoil that makes everyone a better shooter with the 30.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts