Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
can you put a g30 barrel in a g29? i have been looking at a 29 and thought it would be great if i can put a barrel in and shoot .45s.

·
20,411 Posts
Well, there is the matter of the smaller 10mm breech face on the G29 slide into which a .45acp will not fit.

·
Banned
12,633 Posts
Quick answer NO won't work

·
Registered
80 Posts
This would be a good question for somebody at Glock. I'm am interested in this as well. I have 9MM and 357 Sig barrels for my G27 and they work great. But looking at the Lone Wolf Distributors site, I don't see a 45 ACP conversion barrel for the G29. Maybe you could just drop in an OEM G30 barrel and it would work, but I would call Glock directly before spending $150 on a barrel that may or may not work.

·
Drop those nuts
9,539 Posts
Sounds like the answer is no. All those other posts came in while I was typing.
Correct. There is a well known list of conversions that are possible and several that are not. Shooting .45 in guns that were originally 10MM is one that can't be done.

The only way to shoot both calibers in one gun is to buy a .45 and then get an aftermarket 10MM conversion barrel - and even then it's not exactly a perfect conversion because of a breech face & extractor issue that cannot be completely corrected, so there are varying opinions about the wisdom of doing it. You don't just buy a G20 barrel, for example, and then put it into a G30.

The conversions that work perfectly are:
going from .40 to .357 Sig, and
going from 10MM to .40, .357 Sig, or 9x25MM Dillon.

Converting a .40 into a 9MM is another one that isn't exactly perfect, but some people do it, while others wouldn't want to trust it with their life.

The general rule is that whenever you convert to a cartridge that has a different diameter at the rear of the case, it's not going to be an exact fit to the old gun no matter what - and you can never convert to a cartridge that has a larger diameter than the original caliber was.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Can you convert a 30 to shoot 10mm? I have been offered one heck of a deal on a glock 30 and would love to be able to shoot 10mm as well. I have looked on net and couldn't find a 10mm conversion barrel or any other conversion barrel for the glock 30?? Would you just drop a normal glock 29 barrel into the 30?

·
20,411 Posts
You can't drop a G29 barrel into a G30 as the hood dimensions are different, but you can purchase a conversion barrel that will work.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Thanks Danny, do you know what company makes one? I couldn't find one on the net.

Never mind, after doing a little more research I found it. Guess it helps to type it in correctly! Thanks again Danny!

·
Transform & Win
3,349 Posts
The other option that hasn't been discussed is a complete upper swap of the OEM slide from a .45 ACP pistol to a 10mm pistol frame, or vice versa.

In the case of Glock .45 ACP (G21/G30) and 10mm (G20/G29) caliber conversions, the standard frame G21, G20, G30, and G29 pistols all share the same trigger housing and ejector. The short frame G21SF, G20SF, G30SF, and G29SF also all share a common trigger housing and ejector, although different from the previously mentioned standard frame pistols.

Therefore, a complete upper swap between a G21 and G20, G30 and G29, G21SF and G20SF, or G30SF and G29SF together with a mag change should be good to go.

A complete upper (slide with internals) retails for $360, so the option is not much less than the cost of a complete pistol. Although not the most economical, it's good to know the option exists, especially since it also solves any issues between the extractors for the two calibers.

·
Registered
5,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The other option that hasn't been discussed is a complete upper swap of the OEM slide from a 10mm pistol to a .45 ACP pistol frame, or vice versa.

In the case of Glock .45 ACP (G21/G30) and 10mm (G20/G29) caliber conversions, the standard frame G21, G20, G30, and G29 pistols all share the same trigger housing and ejector. The short frame G21SF, G20SF, G30SF, and G29SF also all share a common trigger housing and ejector, although different from the previously mentioned standard frame pistols.

Therefore, just a complete upper swap between a G21 and G20, G30 and G29, G21SF and G20SF, or G30SF and G29SF together with a mag change should be good to go.

A complete upper (slide with internals) retails for $360, so the option is not much less than the cost of a complete pistol. Although not the most economical, it's good to know the option exists, especially since it also solves any issues between the extractors for the two calibers.
i believe a 29sf is in my future and thought it would be nice if it was a barrel change only. for that price i would just buy the other gun.

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
The trigger housings are slightly different but the ejectors on the 10mm and 45's are the same

I put my G30 slide on my 29SF and it works fine. The internals are the same except for the trigger housing.

·
Transform & Win
3,349 Posts
The trigger housings are slightly different but the ejectors on the 10mm and 45's are the same
That's my understanding too. The 8196-2 ejector is in all of the .45ACP and 10mm standard frame and short frame versions of the G21, G20, G30, and G29 (eight models total). The difference between the standard and short frame internals are with the two versions of the trigger housing.

I put my G30 slide on my 29SF and it works fine. The internals are the same except for the trigger housing.
I don't expect a problem for complete upper swaps between short frame and standard frame pistols, for example; G21SF and G20, G21 and G20SF, G30SF and G29, or G30 and G29SF. Just be aware that swaps of this type combine a slide atop a trigger housing that normally don't appear together in a OEM pistol configuration.

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
That's what I'm doing. I have a G30 slide on my 29FSF. Your original post confused me a little bit because you said slides can only be swapped between like grip sized models. I am doing that with no issues. When I travel I take my G29SF, my KKM 40 conversion barrel, my Storm Lake extended barrel and my G30 slide.

It's like I'm traveling with 3 guns at once.

:cool:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts