Glock Talk banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey yall. Hope everybodys great.
Not really a particular question this time around, just would love to speak to any fellow g29 owners.
It has been my dream G for years and i finally recieved mine after waiting for months.

I dont know any other g29 owners myself at the moment, and would love to hear your experiences and what you personally love or possibly dont love, about yours.
I am very into ballistics science and studies, and know quite a bit about 10mm, but it is my first time owning a 10mm overall.

I leave all my glocks completely stock. as an armorer/instructor, reliability is everything to me especially since i alternate between my 23 and now the 29 for edc.

im likely only gonna run a pearce +0 pinky grip for support,
and a Minus connector as i usually do.

Thoughts and experiences?

·
Registered
332 Posts
I got a Gen 4 G29 earlier this year.

LOL...... I had driven by a big gun shop about 20is h miles from me and I stopped by and they had a Gock 30S and I wanted it but had some errands to do another 13 miles away and decided to come back on my way home later to get it.

But it was sold when I got back an hour and a half later.

Continued home and stopped in a gun shop that I do a lot of business with

They had a G29 Gen 4 and I purchased it.

The G29 is a damned great shooting gun and with Buffalo Bore 180 gr JHP shoots very smoothly. Recoil is very pleasant from the G29 but I am accustomed to years of 40 S&W with high octane ammo. The 10 mm shoots better to me. I carry it often and will carry it more over the winter.

Oh, a couple days later I got the G30S cheaper than what I had seen. Another great gun and I have it on my hip as I key this.

OP, you will enjoy the G29 Gen 4..... a lot!

·
Cuhootnified Roamer
11,448 Posts
Not really a particular question this time around, just would love to speak to any fellow g29 owners.
It has been my dream G for years and i finally recieved mine after waiting for months.

I dont know any other g29 owners myself at the moment, and would love to hear your experiences and what you personally love or possibly dont love, about yours.
I am very into ballistics science and studies, and know quite a bit about 10mm, but it is my first time owning a 10mm overall.

I leave all my glocks completely stock. as an armorer/instructor, reliability is everything to me especially since i alternate between my 23 and now the 29 for edc.

Congrats on the new heater! I love my 29, it's been my EDC for a few years now.

I keep it stock as well and the pistol has been extremely reliable with everything from bunny fart rounds all the way to nuclear. My carry loads are typically DT 165 Gold Dots and they run about 1350FPS from the 29, 1400 from my 20.
I've tested BB and Underwood 165s and 180s to great success. At those levels the gun is snappy but not terribly difficult to control.

I have large hands and the Pearce+0 makes the gun significantly more controllable. I highly recommend them.

Enjoy your new pistol in health! 🍻

Reactions: Mookie86

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks alot for your input guys! Update, i shot it today at the range
50 rounds of SigSauer 180gr fmj
20 rounds Doubletap 230gr Hardcast
50 rounds Magtech 180gr fmj

Flawless 0 malfunctions even with hotter ammo.

I put the +0 pearce grips on the mags for the last 50 rounds to try it out and no issues, only one round gave a failure to feed, slide came back before the round was fully seated in the chamber. Feels like the round barely got pushed into the chamber, it was still barely out of the mag/follower.

Im sure it was probably just limp wrist.

I adjusted the mag spring inside just to make sure it was seated perfectly with the pearce base plate,
Put 10 rounds through the same mag after, and no issues. 🙂

Instantly has become my favorite firearm like i knew it would. 10mm is phenomenal. Nowhere near as brutal in recoil (unless you use much hotter ****) as people said it would be and thats even me with weak wrists, or i guess weak wrists for a female in general lol, im quite small in size.
Thanks for the support guys.

·
Registered
103 Posts
My 29 is a gen 3..I think...bought it in 2003. Anyways..fantastic shooter. I’ve never bought a 10mm round. Loaded everyone myself. Shot lots of “hot” round so thru it and no problems. It’s a great choice.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
My Gen4 G29 is one of my winter carry pistols. I run a (-) connector , Pearce PG-1045+ mag extensions which give me 12+ 1 capacity and Truglo TFX Pro TG-TG13GL2PC sights. Either Hornady 200 gr. XTP or 180 XTP as both are accurate hard hitting rounds.

·
Registered
8,189 Posts
Congrats on the G29. They're one of my favorite 10mm launching devices.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks so much for your input guys, and thank you for the congrats 🙏💙 i am beyond happy with it honestly. Its phenomenal

Ive been debating on ammo for a minute now, nothings available as we all know.
Heres the only brands and grains I found.

•Underwood 135gr JHP
•Underwood 140gr MHP (not sure about carrying MHP at the moment.)
•Federal premium 200gr JHP.

Ive dope deep into ballistic science the last few months and its really hard to learn with so much misinformation out there.
Im leaning towards the underwood 135gr i found.
Would love to know which you guys would go with for everyday carry, and why. 🙏

Might make a thread about it to gather experiences and thoughts.

·
Registered
332 Posts
If you find Underwood or Double Tap ammo, please let us know.

I got 100 rounds of Sig Sauer jhp yesterday and will shoot some of it this afternoon if the rain stops.

At least Buffalo Bore is available. And might experiment wit the lower weight ammos for grins and giggles.

·
Registered
25,952 Posts

my screen name says when I got my G29. Dave The Hiker has one and is around 80 now and fires it effectively. So there’s that on how people “handle” the caliber in a subcompact.

like you, I bought pierce +0. At the time the larger rounds seemed to dislike the +X extensions for extra rounds. I leave one 10rd mag stock in case I need to not have an extension. But I carry 15rd back up mags.

the 29 is a fine package and not hard to manage, ive had plenty of smaller females fire it effectively (to reinforce the shooters foundation and technique is more of a factor than recoil).

the 15rd mags obviously add capacity to reloads. If I open carry the 29 I likely have a 15rd mag instead of the flush 10 loaded in it. This is makes the gun heavier and aids in recoil management if in a defensive scenario.

·
Registered
4,027 Posts
I have had mine for a few years. I discovered that mine was not very accurate at all, when firing hot ammo. I replaced the stock barrel with with a KKM barrel that has real rifling. That made it much more accurate. I had problems with stove pipes until G29guy06 visited my house and taught me some fundamentals about shooting. The recoil is different from my other guns. It shoves my body back; it does not hurt my hands too much like my G27 did. I'm tall, slim, and old. It's my CC.

·
JABRONI AUTIST
8,435 Posts
I've had probably 4 or 5 G29's over the years, it's a gun that I want to like and it looks good on paper but for whatever reason I just don't care that much for it. The slide is almost the same length as the G23 slide except fatter, the grip is shorter which in and of itself isn't bad but I think it's just how wide/thick the grip is, it's not a gun size that I hate, but I just don't really like it. I much prefer the size grip on the G20/40 plus I'm okay with my 10mm's being larger guns. To me when it comes to carry, I don't see the 10mm as being the best option anyways, sure there are times I think a G29 would go well with my G20 but it just goes back to the size of it, plus for carry purposes I'd rather use .40 S&W both for the size of the platform and the better availability of premium self defense ammo.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
If you find Underwood or Double Tap ammo, please let us know.

I got 100 rounds of Sig Sauer jhp yesterday and will shoot some of it this afternoon if the rain stops.

At least Buffalo Bore is available. And might experiment wit the lower weight ammos for grins and giggles.
Hey bud, this seems to be the only type they have left for 10m

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
my screen name says when I got my G29. Dave The Hiker has one and is around 80 now and fires it effectively. So there’s that on how people “handle” the caliber in a subcompact.

like you, I bought pierce +0. At the time the larger rounds seemed to dislike the +X extensions for extra rounds. I leave one 10rd mag stock in case I need to not have an extension. But I carry 15rd back up mags.

the 29 is a fine package and not hard to manage, ive had plenty of smaller females fire it effectively (to reinforce the shooters foundation and technique is more of a factor than recoil).

the 15rd mags obviously add capacity to reloads. If I open carry the 29 I likely have a 15rd mag instead of the flush 10 loaded in it. This is makes the gun heavier and aids in recoil management if in a defensive scenario.

"the 29 is a fine package and not hard to manage, ive had plenty of smaller females fire it effectively (to reinforce the shooters foundation and technique is more of a factor than recoil"

Absolutely LOVED this. Thank you bud.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I have had mine for a few years. I discovered that mine was not very accurate at all, when firing hot ammo. I replaced the stock barrel with with a KKM barrel that has real rifling. That made it much more accurate. I had problems with stove pipes until G29guy06 visited my house and taught me some fundamentals about shooting. The recoil is different from my other guns. It shoves my body back; it does not hurt my hands too much like my G27 did. I'm tall, slim, and old. It's my CC.
So question, can you guys clear up the term hot or hotter ammo. Kinda confused. For months i was told and under the impression that hotter ammo was a heavier grain, anything above 200gr typically.

Which i definitely feel the difference when i shot 180gr vs 230gr yesterday LOL

Then i read that hotter or hot ammo, is like underwoods 135 and 150gr which are lower gr?

I know that hotter ammo is basically +P ammunition / more powder within the round itself
But how can i know indications of hot ammo in general if not simply by grain? 🤔 they seem to be all kinds of grains

Ive read people say man that 135gr is hot
Or sig sauers 180gr is super hot
Or such and such 200gr is super hot.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I've had probably 4 or 5 G29's over the years, it's a gun that I want to like and it looks good on paper but for whatever reason I just don't care that much for it. The slide is almost the same length as the G23 slide except fatter, the grip is shorter which in and of itself isn't bad but I think it's just how wide/thick the grip is, it's not a gun size that I hate, but I just don't really like it. I much prefer the size grip on the G20/40 plus I'm okay with my 10mm's being larger guns. To me when it comes to carry, I don't see the 10mm as being the best option anyways, sure there are times I think a G29 would go well with my G20 but it just goes back to the size of it, plus for carry purposes I'd rather use .40 S&W both for the size of the platform and the better availability of premium self defense ammo.
Completely get ya :) thank you. i love the 20, never shot a 40

But much too big for me to carry, it shoots phenomenally though

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
You know its crazy cause i was really expecting it to be absolutely brutal. Every single gun shop tried talking me out of it but i dont really blame them they dont know my background. Although it does get kinda old after a few years to have people always automatically assume i cant handle larger calibers

Some may have done it in good nature ya know, cause they dont know much about 10m other than its a powerhouse

But some came off as if they did it like "ey, stick to small calibers little lady" lol, im used to the ignorant mentalitys i just ignore them and surround myself with individuals that have the humble great mentalities that you guys have that anybody can accomplish anything by applying themselves and becoming properly trained.

Anyways that being said, i am surprised at how much i enjoyed shooting it! 😂😀
The trigger eeach distance for me is exactly right. Anything a hair further may have been difficult to deal with for positioning.

but Maybe i like it so much and find it easy cause im already used to .40? It was much more rough when i shot 230gr opposed to 180gr, accuracy ofc was a bit less it seemed.

But 180gr was absolutely phenomenal to shoot and i did better than i thought it would lol it surprised me!
My g36 is muuuuch rougher by alot even with lower gr.
So so cool to learn the different characteristics of these rounds.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
So heres the ultimate question for yall.

If you had the choice to choose between a great manufacturer such as federal for your carry JHP.

140gr
180gr
200gr
230gr

10mm round for self defense / carry.
Which would you choose, and why?
which would you stay away from, and why?

·
Registered
4,027 Posts
You know its crazy cause i was really expecting it to be absolutely brutal. Every single gun shop tried talking me out of it but i dont really blame them they dont know my background. Although it does get kinda old after a few years to have people always automatically assume i cant handle larger calibers

Some may have done it in good nature ya know, cause they dont know much about 10m other than its a powerhouse

But some came off as if they did it like "ey, stick to small calibers little lady" lol, im used to the ignorant mentalitys i just ignore them and surround myself with individuals that have the humble great mentalities that you guys have that anybody can accomplish anything by applying themselves and becoming properly trained.

The trigger eeach distance for me is exactly right. Anything a hair further may have been difficult to deal with for positioning.

but Maybe i like it so much and find it easy cause im already used to .40? It was much more rough when i shot 230gr opposed to 180gr, accuracy ofc was a bit less it seemed.

But 180gr was absolutely phenomenal to shoot and i did better than i thought it would lol it surprised me!
LOL! Years ago when I first considered buying a G29 because I saw signs of a bear on my property, I went to gun show and asked about the G29. I was told "It will knock you on your @$$ and part your hair!" I was intimidated, but wanted to find out if I could handle the recoil. I found a gun shop that had one and also had an indoor gun range where I could try it out. They handed me the gun a box of ammo and a large paper target and pointed at the stairs that led down to the shooting range. I attached the paper target down to the clips and sent it to the far end of the range. I saw a sign that read "No Rapid Fire!" But that's what I wanted to do. I thought to myself, "They can only throw me out once." I put on my ear protection, loaded the magazine, pointed at the target and dumped the magazine as fast as I could. I was still standing and there were even a few holes in the target. I was sold. I ordered the gun on-line. No regrets.

·
Registered
25,952 Posts

Ah! You’re a woman! Not that it matters much aside from I think you’re the first woman on here to have a 10mm let alone a G29….

this will be fun lol. When people complain about recoil of other guns.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.