close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

g27 vs m&p Shield .40

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by GlockSwagg, Jun 10, 2012.

Tags:
  1. SabeorceR

SabeorceR

I have a feeling there arent too many people who would say an M&P trigger is better than a Glock trigger. Like I said, the Shield trigger is an updated trigger for the M&P line, however, I still don't think I would call it better than a Glock trigger.

I did add an Apex DCAEK upgrade of one of my M&P pistols, and if I were to buy another M&P, it would get the same upgrade. It does greatly improve the trigger, but I am partial to the glock trigger.

2. Delmonte67

Delmonte67 Glock 40 cal.

Just remember,the G27 is 3 calibers in one, for about an additional hundred bucks per barrel- you can have 40 Cal, 9mm, and 357 sig. Glock also has about a 1000 add ons (sights, triggers ect..) for thier pistols. I don't know much about the M&P Shield, so as far as add ons, reliability- who knows? My G27 will always be my CCW, small and forever reliable- Its a Glock! Personal preference. D.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2012

3. glock a-doodle-doo

glock a-doodle-doo

well, i got a g23, shield 9 and 40. i will try to do some sort of review/comparison, but won't have time until next week. when i first got my g23 it took a lot of adjustment to get a good grip and i'd tire easily after 30-35 min of shooting. the shield40 is obviously thinner, but almost the same overall size. since i have medium to smaller hands when i first grabbed a shield in the store it felt amazing. when i brought them home i did start to think it was a little too thin to get a proper grip. however, when it came to shooting time i really enjoyed shooting the shield40 (need more shield9 time to really understand what's going on there). the grip wasn't an issue and i actually shot really well with it and actually enjoyed it. i went back to the g23 with a new appreciation for the glock grip and shot it even better than before. that range day i actually had better groups with the shield40!

as far as triggers go i think g23 vs shield is gonna be really personal. my wife is the type that is amazing at slow, methodical shooting and likes the glock trigger staging. i might be the opposite where i prefer the short staging and quick snap of the shield trigger. my results with the shield might also be in part to the 3dot sights.

ymmv, but you likely can't go wrong in either case, but personally i'd be comparing g23 vs shield and not g27.

4. Clusterfrack

Clusterfrack

For me the lack of a sharp reset is the major shortcoming of the stock M&P trigger. It makes prepping the trigger on followup shots more challenging. The APEX upgrade helps a lot, but I wouldn't use one in a carry gun. (As I said before, I'll stick with the G26.)

5. truetopath

truetopath

I have a Gen 3 27 that is my EDC. It's a dream to conceal and I feel very comfortable with the 9 rounds plus a spare mag. Good luck in your quest!

6. mrsurfboard

mrsurfboard The Anti-Glock

Higher capacity, you mean the whole 2 rounds the G27 has over the Shield. If you are carrying IWB, the thinner shield will be much more comfortable.

7. elde

elde Lifetime Member

My Shield .40 is a handfull to shoot and not all together pleasant. It's less accurate than my 27 but much slimmer. Because of that it's more comfortable to carry. In my mind it's a compromise and I purchased it strictly for summer carry here in the desert. If I had to choose between it and a 27 the choice would be very easy -- the 27 wins by a landslide. Lastly, it is not a pocket gun....it's the same exact size as a PPS and far larger than a Nano or P290.

Edit: I just saw the part of the OP post about the Shield trigger. That trigger does have better better reset than a run of the mill M&P, but that's not saying much. The Glock trigger is far superior and can be easily modified by the user if he/she feels it necessary.

(FYI - I am far from a Glock fanboy.)

8. Priapism

Priapism

Not better. Similar. If you like the Glock trigger then you will find the Shield trigger an easy transition. Unlike the LC9 which Glock shooters will never like.

The Shield and the subcompact Glocks are different guns with different uses. I would not put them as equal. Selecting a Glock when you already have Glocks provides a platform to build upon. Sharing holsters, mags, parts, and then Glock reliability is a huge benefit and should not be overlooked.

The Shield is a good gun and I have one. It is reliable so far. It is easier to carry and that .25" does make a difference. But if I am in a gunfight then I would rather have a Glock. Mostly due to the higher capacity but also the reliability is known. And I usually have a compact sized mag as backup. The Shield I find is a good choice for summer carry or deep conceal and for times when the chances of having to use a gun are less; trip to the store, minor errands, daylight time.

I say get both but if you can only afford one then Glock is the better choice.

9. GLOCK24-7

GLOCK24-7

I owned a Glock 27 for awhile and liked it, but the Shield IMO is much smoother and stays on target much better. The shield is lighter, smaller, and has a very small grip. But, is recoils less than my 27 did. I know thats sounds loony, but its the truth. My Smith&Wesson rep brought them both to the shop where I work at, and we shot the paint of those guns!! Its unreal how soft the .40s&w shot. My favorite part of the gun besides the lite recoil, was how accurate it shot. All the workers that shot the gun said the same thing after they got done shooting the shield in .40 , "I thought I was shooting a nine".

10. GlockSwagg

GlockSwagg

OP here:

Thanks everyone for their input. This forum is awesome!

Few more comments....

I am now leaning hard towards the G27 over the Shield .40. I plan on using the extended grip for the g27. I think it is +2 or 3 in capacity. The 2 finger grip just isnt comfortable for me. I like the extended.

But everyone seems to believe that the more tested reliability and better trigger of the g27 puts it way ahead of the shield .40.

Anyone agree?.....disagree?

11. Ski2me

Ski2me Glock Envy

I just bought a shield 40. I haven't even had a chance to shoot it yet. I haven't owned a compact Glock but I have a 20 and 22 and wanted the shield because of the ease if concealment. I'll update my findings if anyone's interested.

12. DaBurna

DaBurna

Well it depends... I don't really LOVE the hinged trigger design of the S&W's to begin with. This opinion is coming form a dedicated Glock Shooter. I think the trigger on the Glock is inherently better from Jump Street! Nevertheless, the Shield Platform fits a nice niche. If you haven't been used to the Glock Trigger pull, you might not be as biased. Its crisp, breaks nicely, and has a short VERY DISTINCT reset point. Most Smith Polymers you can say that str8 out of the box...

13. SFla27

SFla27

Swagg,

If you plan on using a magazine extension, you might as well carry a G23. As mentioned previously, the grip length is one of the more important aspects to consider regarding CC. The shorter the better.

Now this is also subject to shooter preference, but I prefer the two-finger grip. I also use GAP extended mag floorplates that do not add grip length yet add some support to the bottom of the ring finger that helps with maintaining control during the recoil phase. The more I practiced with the two-finger grip, the more I preferred it on my 27. If you do just a bit of research online, you will find that there are many individuals who in-fact prefer the two-finger grip. They're not a minority.

I haven't tried the Shield. But I have tried out a friend's Walther PPS .40. While the pistol is an excellent one with outstanding build quality, the thin frame was a bit harder on my hand after a few mags. When I went back to the G27, the added surface area of the backstrap was a welcome thing.

You have a tough decision to make. Two most-excellent pistols.

Good luck!

14. ScottieG59

ScottieG59

The Glock 27 has a long track record and is a known. The Smith & Wesson Shield 40 may be fine too. I have no problem concealing the Glock 27 with an IWB holster. It is basically not a problem there. Pocket carry for the 27 might as well be open carry. The Shield may do better for that.

Of course, the issue of the manual safety on the Shield may be a problem for some. You can leave it off and ignore it, but it can not be knocked on by mistake if it is not there.

15. kenzo

kenzo

Great review, thank-you. I'm a big Glock fan but I too am in the market for a Shield. Based on everything I'm reading, I'll go with the 9mm version.

16. BuckyP

BuckyP Lifetime Member

I'd tend to disagree. The G27 with factory 11 rd magazine is still effectively shorter than a G23. I much prefer the feel of a G27 w/11 rd magazine over the G23 as well.

G27 w/factory 11 rounds extended magazine on left, next to G23C.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 12, 2012
  17. DaBurna

DaBurna

^^^^ what he said... I own both G27 & G23... I carry my G27 with glock +2 baseplates (+1 in .40cal)

18. BuckyP

BuckyP Lifetime Member

You are right, it is +1 in .40.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2012
  19. Pred8tory

Pred8tory Retired Copper Lifetime Member

So many people seem to think the Shield is small enough to be a pocket gun, it's not. It has a longer butt than the 26/27 and holds less rounds. Sure it's thinner, but it's the butt length that precludes pocket carry and prints IWB. I carry a 26/27 in a Kramer Leather pocket holster almost every day. Also, in a couple of years S&W will come out with a new model to replace the Shield and you will be scrambling to find magazines and accessories. Show me some CCW Smith semi-automatic models that have been made continuously for more than a decade. Besides, who wants a safety on a CCW pistol, it could get you killed. I will stick with my Glocks.

20. DaBurna

DaBurna

What's molded on the bottom of your mags? Mine I'd a Glock OEM baseplate "+ 7151"