close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

g27 vs m&p Shield .40

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by GlockSwagg, Jun 10, 2012.

Tags:
  1. GlockSwagg

GlockSwagg

First time poster here...

I am looking to buy a new CCW in the next month or two. After MUCH research, I've narrowed it down to two: the Glock27 Gen 4 and the new S&W Shield.40.

I am torn between the two. I like the tried reliability and higher capacity of the g27, but I like the concealability and the better trigger and ergonomics of the Shield.

What is everyone's thoughts??

HELP ME!!!!!!!!! :brickwall:

2. barth

barth six barrels

Pocket carry I'd go for the Shield.
    Belt carry the G27.

Make sure you shoot a shield in 40, or gun similar like a PPS 40,
    before you buy. Those pocket guns are best in 9mm IHMO.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2012

3. GlockSwagg

GlockSwagg

BTW...I am looking to IWB carry at my 5:00

4. stolenphot0

stolenphot0 RTF2 Addict

G27 - loads of possibility with different barrels :supergrin:

5. 1smoothredneck

1smoothredneck

Welcome. In my experience, I got away from a Kahr P9 because of reliability issues, and just settled on my gen3 27. It conceals fine in my Galco King tuk, and is just as reliable as any of my other glocks, which is to say flawless. In the case of your question, I would most definitely go Glock. The Shield may be fine, and may not. Give it some time for reports to filter in, and maybe get one later.
    If you decide to go Shield, be a nice Beta tester and keep us up to date!:supergrin: Good Luck and be safe

6. barth

barth six barrels

I belt carry a G27 myself.
    It's one of the board favorites for CC.
    You can't go wrong with that one.

7. vettely

vettely

I have a G27 which I never carry off duty due to its bulk. My co-worker just bought a 9mm Shield and I was very impressed. Owning one and handling the other, I would recommend the M &P Shield.

Of course you did post on a Glock forum, so don't expect unbiased responses.

8. Clusterfrack

Clusterfrack

My G26 has become my favorite CCW. I like that it has the same ergos as my G17 and G34 which I compete with. I don't find it bulky but I don't pocket carry.

9. bac1023

bac1023

In that case, the G27 should be fine.

10. GlockSwagg

GlockSwagg

What is your reasoning for backing the Shield? Any details? Thanks!

11. scosgt

scosgt

I pocket carry a G26 (same as G27) all the time. Shield has a LONGER GRIP, which makes it WORSE for pocket carry. Compare the two side by side, the difference in thickness is really NOT MUCH.

12. Bruce M

Bruce M

I would suggest whichever you shoot better. But I am guessing that it might be difficult to find a .40 Shield to shoot at a range.

13. Adamz04

Adamz04

I've never shot the 40 shield and I find the 27 to be a handful but managable. The shield will be more comfortable iwb that's a fact but the 27 offers more capacity and versatility. I've heard some saying they have a hard time getting the ninth rd in 27 mags. If that's the case then the 27 only gives u one more shot. Both are quality makes but the 27 is more proven. I would buy the 27 but that's me

14. SabeorceR

SabeorceR

Although my favorite ccw is a G19, I do own a G27 and a Shield .40cal. I initially bought the Shield for summer carry but when carrying in a crossbreed supertuck IWB, it is just as easy to conceal the G27. My original attraction to the shield was the fact that it was a single stack and i am not a fan of the LC9 or the Nano. Now that I have 500+ rounds through the Shield and feel confident with the pistol, I have been carrying it daily only because it is the new flavor of the month. If I were to chose between the G27 and the .40 Shield at this present moment, I would have to say G27 because: 1.) the recoil seems easier to manage with the G27 2.) I have a G23 and like the fact that I can use those mags 3.) I subjectively prefer the Glock platform over the M&P platform.

This weekend I should have some time to hit the range and will bring both pistols with me to for some action. I'll report back with some results.

If anyone wants to know any specific comparisons between the two that I am able to help with, let me know.

ETA: I know the OP is specifically asking about the .40 Shield but I figured I would mention that people are sending their 9mm Shields back to smith and Wesson for out of battery problems. I, however, cannot replicate these same issues with my .40 shield.

15. GlockSwagg

GlockSwagg

Sabeorcer,

Thanks a lot for the info. Very helpful. I have a few questions for you, since you have both the guns I like:

1) Which gun is more comfortable to carry IWB at 5:00?

2) Which gun has a better trigger in your opinion?

3) Which gun feels better in your hand?

4) Which gun is more fun to shoot?

5) If you had to defend your life, and you could only grab one of the two guns, which one would it be?

I appreciate your input in advance. Due to different circumstances, I cant shoot either gun, so I am leaving it up to Glock Talk to help me make my decision!

16. Rustin

Rustin

I would say the thinner shield is going to be more comfortable IWB without a doubt. Some people don't mind the .25" extra width the Glock subcompact has.

I would go with 9mm for either, and if I had to choose one knowing I would have to use it I would pick the Glock every time.

17. DaBurna

DaBurna

<=== has the Shield 9 & G27, in .40cal I feel that the Sheid Platform is going to be pretty STOUT! ThusI opted for the Shield9... I have 3 .40's (G22,G23,G27) and the recoil impulse on the Shield 40 is probably not going to be fun. I can shoot my Shield9 at the range just like a plinker, and really ENJOY shooting it just like my Glock 9's. IMHO, I just feel these slim/lightweight pistols yield better results in 9mm. I'm assuming they brought out a .40 as a potential supplement to police need as an offduty choice as a back up weapon, and those of us who REFUSE to carry a 9mm in a defensive CCW role. You probably can't go wrong with the .40S&W round in a Shield, but I prefer it in 9mm... More rounds, quicker follow ups...

18. Bello

Bello America/Italia

Glock 27! Donezo Ferrari

19. twag4

twag4

I haven't ever heard any M&P trigger was better than a glock trigger. Could this truly be?

20. SabeorceR

SabeorceR

1) The most important factors that contribute to comfort with CCW are a good GUN belt and a good holster. I, personally, cannot emphasize this enough. I recommend a Wilderness Original Instructors Belt for casual wear or you can look at some of the site sponsors for a good leather belt. For a holster, my personal preference is a hybrid holster....something like a Crossbreed Supertuck or a Comp-tac MTAC. They provide a high level of comfort with the leather backing and the kydex shell allows for fast draws/re-holsters.

I have a crossbreed for the Shield and the G27 and to be honest, its hard to say which is more comfortable for CCW. They are so close in weight (G27 outweighs the shield by .75 oz i believe), and with the proper carry rig, I usually forget I am even carrying. If I HAD to give the comfort edge to one, I guess I would say the shield because it is about .25" narrower than the G27. The difference is really negligible though. One thing to keep in mind is that the G27 is about .5" shorter on the grip than the Shield, and the grip is the hardest part of a pistol to conceal.

2) Trigger feel is a subjective topic, but I have to give the slight edge to the G27. The trigger on the Shield is an updated trigger for the M&P line, now with an audible reset and greater feel to the reset. My M&P9C has no audible or feel to the trigger reset. The Shield trigger is much better than my M&P9c, however, I still prefer the Glock trigger.

3) Again, comfort in the hand is going to be different for different people. Some people can't stand the grip angle on Glock pistols and say M&P pistols point much better, but after having much more experience with the Glock line, I like the way they feel in my hand. I have larger hands, so I prefer the extra meat in the grip of the Glock.

4) On my first trip to the range with the shield, I didnt think to bring another .40 pistol for comparison purposes. I shot about 300 rounds through the shield and initially said to my friends that the recoil was apparent, yet manageable. Although this is like apple vs oranges, I then shot my G26 which made me realized just how much recoil the shield actually had. Like DaBurna said, the recoil impulse on the shield does not make it a range or plinker type gun. Do I trust it enough to carry it and protect my life? Absolutely! Can I accurately shoot it at a target and shoot quick follow-up shoots? Of course. I just wouldn't call the shield a "fun gun to shoot". Again, this is all personal preference.

5)If I had to defend my life with either of the two guns, I would feel comfortable with whichever one was on my hip on that specific day. If I had a choice, I would take the G27. The Shield has a mag capacity of 6 rounds with the flush mag and 7 rounds with the pinky-extension mag. At this time, I dont believe there are any other magazines that offer a higher capacity. With my G27, I can throw in a G23 magazine that nearly doubles the capacity of the Shield. Hell, I could throw in one of my G22 mags and more than double the capacity of the Shield.

I purchased the Shield for one specific purpose and that was summer-time concealed carry. I really wanted a single-stack pistol that would be easy to conceal. The Shield does its intended job, but I wouldn't say it does it any better than my G27. I am a huge fan of Glock pistols and I am also a huge fan of M&P pistols, but if I were in your situation, I would go with a G27.