close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

G27 Shooting to the left...

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by racer11, Aug 19, 2012.

1. racer11

racer11

Lately I have spent some serious time shooting my Gen3 G27 and I have gotten serious about some accurate shooting.

My rounds all impact in a good group at anywhere up to 25 feet out but they are all left of target center anywhere from 1" to 2"s. Every thing I shoot at is like that,,,even when I'm along a creek shooting,,,all my impacts are just to the left.

I have tried concentrating on my trigger pull but there was no improvement.

The rear sight is centered as best as I can tell,,,would it be feasible to move it over just a tad to the right.

Interestingly my rear sights on my rifle's all need to be set just a tad off center to the right as well. I do shoot R handed and I'm right dominate eyed. My left eye has a defect where Iam not blind in it but I can not focus with it,,so I tend to close my left eye unconsciously when shooting.

Any ideas

2. PettyOfficer

PettyOfficer

Right hand grip, too much pinky pressure... I go from left to right as I try to hone my accuracy and muscle memory, and it's usually too much or too little pinky pressure (after I found my sweet spot on the trigger).

3. Glock40man

Glock40man

Yes sir.

4. Eberhart

Eberhart

New to Glocks. Mine shot left out of box. Two other experienced shooters shot it left. Shot left on a rest. Bumped sight to right, shoots straight on now.

5. TTex

TTex Cannon Fodder

If you CONSISTANTLY group to the left then you may want to push the sights, but only if you get a consistant, good, grouping.

6. ChicagoZman

ChicagoZman

I did the same with my 27 after shooting 22s and 23s for years with no problem. My solution was getting a bit more finger on the trigger with the 27, using the first joint instead of the pad. All shots are now grouped around the center. YMMV

7. SFla27

SFla27

Hey Racer.

If I may...try the following. It worked for me, and I'm what one would call a relatively new shooter:

1. As the trigger is pressed, do not squeeze the fingertip. Keep the pad of the trigger finger nice and straight. Imagine the trigger finger pad as being completely perpendicular to the bore axis.

2. As a man much more wise in the ways of the gun once wrote: "Control the backstrap." If I may paraphrase, proper pressure applied to the backstrap will help stabilize the gun and point it in the right direction as the trigger is pressed. For me, I was shooting low and left. By keeping in the back of my mind I had to counter this by adding some additional pressure (that was initially-lacking) of my shooting hand palm, that small change in grip can make a big difference.

3. Flag the shooting hand thumb. You don't have to have it pointed skywards, just make some more room for the support hand and don't apply any inward pressure of the shooting hand thumb onto the receiver when shooting.

4. Keep the support hand thumb off the receiver.

5. Focus on maintaining a steady grip all the way through the trigger press, including the break.

6. Some say, add more trigger finger. Some say, take away trigger finger. I say: After implementing the above, try adding and/or taking away, while still implementing the above and see what happens.

7. Sometimes, jerking the trigger / pressing it in an unexpected hurry will cause a left-ward shot. As Mr. Ayoob recommends, "roll" the trigger, or make the trigger press a smooth motion all the way to the frame.

Good luck and take it slowly. Let us know how it goes.

Have a great day.

SFla27

8. racer11

racer11

Ok guys,,, I have read this thread over a couple of times and I will give it a try pretty soon.

I did bump the sight over just a bit to see what that does,,,I would like to control the issue with my grip and trigger style rather than moving the sight over, that seems like a more natural cure as opposed to moving the sight off center axis.

Thanks

9. WinterWizard

WinterWizard

This. Every gun has a different size and reach to the trigger and you have to adjust your trigger finger contact to each gun. If you are shooting left, try a little more trigger finger on the trigger, like ChicagoZman has suggested. You are probably pushing the muzzle left because you are using the tip of your trigger finger, and/or squeezing the gun left with your pinkie finger as you pull the trigger. Either use a death grip with all fingers or only squeeze with the middle and ring finger, leaving your pinkie somewhat limp. It works, trust me.

10. DannyR

DannyR Moderator Millennium Member

Try shooting left handed. If your shots still go left, adjust the sight. If the shots go right, then it's not the pistol or the sights.

11. RichardB

RichardB Silver Member

This works for me also.

Just today, as a test, I tried again using the tip of my trigger finger and the bullets started hitting toward my weak side.

So back to getting my trigger finger as far forward as possible.

12. Aux Bear

Aux Bear

More trigger finger. You should not have to move the sights.

13. Globetruck

Globetruck

I'm right handed and also tend to shoot my G22 and G23 to the left.

I'm not a competitive shooter - just an average dude. So take this for what it's worth...

First, I also noticed that using the pad of my trigger finger makes me shoot further left. Going towards the first joint definitely helps me. The grip even feels better.

Second, I also shoot better when I put my weak hand trigger finger on the front of the trigger guard. I know, it's unfashionable and went out of style... Blah blah blah. But it works for me, and vastly reduces muzzle flip.

Third, I adjusted the rear sight to the right just a bit.

Those might not be the "pro" answers, but they make me a more accurate shot and make me more confident with my gun. In the meantime, I will continue to practice.

14. Aux Bear

Aux Bear

More trigger finger is correct technique. Look up Jeff Chudwin and his skill level. He uses the non gun hand finger in front of the finger guard. He is a Southpaw so it's his right finger. I've been told that it's not taught in LEO circles because it take time to get that orientation in a hurry. Practice with a good instructor. Have him do the LA drill with you. You will improve. All the time your shooting keep thinking, front sight, front sight, front sight. Good luck.

15. F106 Fan

F106 Fan

I'm sure all of the techniques addressed above are the 'modern thinking'. I'm not sure I believe any of it.

When I started shooting 1911s, the rules for grip were simple: Weaver stance and grip the gun such that, if you had wood grip panels, there was sawdust at your feet when you changed magazines. Seriously, get ahold of the thing. Hang on to it!

My shooting thumb is pointing forward and my offhand thumb is pointing more or less upward right over the top. My offhand is wrapped tightly around my shooting hand fingers.

Look at Hickok45 shoot and pay attention to his grip. He is the best all around shooter I have ever seen. Sure, he isn't as fast as some of the current crop of action shooters (although he might be close!) but he is an excellent shooter. My stance and grip are identical and have been for a very long time.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7oR1UDHayys&feature=player_embedded"]HK P30 9mm - YouTube[/ame]

I do not understand how pinky pressure can be a factor. How much of an effect can one little finger have if all the others are clamped tight? If you are focused on the front sight and the sight picture is right when the trigger breaks, nothing in the world is going to make the bullet shoot somewhere else. The difficulty is keeping your focus on the front sight (look for the scratches, you need that much intensity to your focus) and the trigger break really needs to be a surprise.

Every time you see that handy-dandy shooting diagnostic circle that attempts to point out your errors, remember that it was designed for one-handed shooting; old fashioned bullseye shooting; off hand behind your back type of shooting. It has very little to do with a two-handed grip.

Other opinions obviously vary. OTOH, with my Gold Cup (.45 ACP) at 7 yards, I can put every single round in the X ring. Same with my S&W 52 (what a magnificent pistol!). Even the G21SF will stay in the 10 ring with the crappy Glock trigger. I think I'll just keep doing what I am doing. I'm far too old to change.

Richard

16. F106 Fan

F106 Fan

Unless you are some kind of competitive whiz kid, look up the Weaver stance. There are two variants: one where the shooting arm is locked and one where it isn't. Doesn't matter much which you pick. The idea is to get the recoil to run straight down the arm.

Stand with your weapon side foot slightly to the rear (field interview position), not nearly a 45 degree angle but definitely not straight on toward the target.

Now push forward with you shooting arm and pull back and down with your off hand to counteract the muzzle flip. It's an isometric thing. One arm pushes, the other pulls. Get ahold of the gun and SQUEEZE the trigger, quickly. Roll it as others have said. I tend to use my first joint but, from time to time, I have a little better success with the pad - I think it depends on the pistol.

Old school, I know. But it works... Watch Hickok45 shoot! That's the way it is supposed to be done.

Richard

Last edited: Aug 20, 2012