close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

G27 Gen 2.5 Older but new to me

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by wdp, Apr 22, 2012.

1. wdp

wdp

I've been looking at a G27 gen 2.5 for several weeks at a local shop wanting to buy, but reluctant after listening to some negative press about the "snappy recoil" and poor handling characteristics that this round exhibits in this subcompact frame Glock. I've shot and owned some pretty snotty handguns including the. 454 Casull and rifle caliber TC Contenders so I made my purchase never having or owned a. 40 cal pistol.
    I really like my G30 in. 45 cal but wanted a slightly smaller frame to conceal in light summer wear. I had considered the G26 but the G27 with barrel conversions in 9mm and 357 Sig made the decision easier. Well after my first range session today I don't understand all the fuss and bother about "snappy recoil" . This gun shoots just great, in fact I found it very similar to my G30. I only had time to unload a box of 180 gr. loads but the perceived recoil is similar to the. 45 but "faster" cycling and easier to back on target.
    My only negatives on this gun is I really don't care for the Glock stock sights and will change them out for Trijicon 3 dot green night sights; same as my G30.
    Even with large hands I have trouble completely depressing the mag release button without manipulating my grip. The button sits very low and is difficult to operate. I'll look into an extended mag release button but your opinions and comments are welcomed.
    This gun came with the older style mag that sits flush but does not drop when released. Looking for your opinions on the older mags vs newer mags. I purchased several mags new that have the number 1 next to the Glock logo with a #9 follower. All functioned flawlessly but again opinions welcomed.
    Here's a quick photo I took with my phone's camera. It was a great deal on a 1996 born on G27 and my second Glock.

Attached Files:

2. TSAX

TSAX USAF Vet

The G27 is a great pick up in any Gen

:50cal:

3. A Regular Joe

A Regular Joe

I think the #9 follower is the latest in .40. I have a Gen 4 27 and love it. I have a LW 70 to 9 conversion barrell and it shoots just a well as the factory .40. Vickers has a larger or extended mag realease that I hear is pretty good. I too will change out the sights to Glock night sights as soon as I make the trip to Smyrna. The only problem I have with mine is it's expensive! It shoots everything I load in it. I keep shooting and shooting trying to have an issue and it just keeps going bang!!

4. Folsom_Prison

Folsom_Prison Brew Crew

5. Leathernecker

Leathernecker More Glocks!

Congrats on getting an actual Generation 2.5. I have a G26 with smooth grips like your G27.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2012
  6. wdp

wdp

Is a gen 2.5 G27 with smooth fingergrips a rarity?

7. janice6

janice6 Silver Member

It's a fine gun. It will serve you well.

I have one too.

8. wdp

wdp

I'm LMAO thinking about your expensive problem which sounds like mine till I discovered Wallmart now I'm LMAO at the people you see as you shop. OMG is what I'm usually thinking.
    Lone Wolf and Storm Lake conversion barrels are two I've read about. Looking for recommendations from actual users.

9. DJ Niner

DJ Niner Moderator

I don't know exactly how "rare" it is, but the vast majority of G26/G27 guns have the checkering in the fingergrooves. I think I remember hearing only the first two or three shipments of subcompacts had the smooth fingergrooves, but I don't know what the total number imported might be.

I also noticed the caliber marking on the slide is stamped ".40 SW", another sign of an early-production .40 caliber gun. After the first few runs, this was changed to just ".40", I believe.

10. wdp

wdp

Interesting observation, incidentally the serial number on this gun is CCH XXXUS. Does that mean anything or is that generic to older models?

11. flysubcompact

flysubcompact

Just today I took the Lone Wolf 40/9 conversion barrel that I use in our G23 and popped it into our newly bought gen 2.5 G27. The barrel sticks out way too much but it worked perfectly (well, at least one full G17 9mm magazine) I will be getting the shorter LW barrel just for this G27.

BTW, I bought this 27 about two weeks ago. It looked almost brand new inside and out and came with some Meprolight sites. Actually liking this older 27 more than the 23.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2012
  12. Glock40man

Glock40man

13. barth

barth six barrels

G27s are great.
    With simple barrel and mag change you can run 9mm, 357 Sig and 40.
    I do - LOL!

As for Followers:
    I have five new 357 mags (G33 & G31) they are all #2.
    My 40s (I have a bunch) are all #9.
    And my 3 new G26/9mm are all #6.

Enjoy Glocking

BTW the baby Glocks can run full size Glock mags.
    So you can carry a flush G27/9 in the gun and carry twin G22/15 reloads.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2012
  14. cadillacguns

cadillacguns Millennium Member

OK 2.5 Gen subcompacts were the first Baby Glocks produced, there were no NDF or non drop free mags (U) shaped produced for that series, I carry a 2.5 BSA prefix G-27. Get the Glock part 7151 (+) bottom for your pistol, they were made for each other. First .40 series Glocks were marked .40 S&W on the slides. A nice Glock you have, wear it well.

15. wdp

wdp

I would love to run 15 round mags in this gun but not in NY, we're 10 round max. Thanks for your reply.

16. skipitxd40

skipitxd40

Thanks to Glock Talk I found my 27 was made july 09. im still not sure what gen it is but 1st I found I shoot better than with my XD40 4" With a NcStar laser.
    It has factory sights & my 1st change will be a conversion barrel to 9mm. I heard so many pros & cons on Storm Lake vs Lone Wolf im not positive what to get.
    I will prob. go with the lowest price.
    I also heard great storys about the Trinium? "Glow Sights" but with cataracs & other reasons I love Lasers. The lasermax is of course the coolest but highest price "even on ebay" So im leaning tward the LaserLite "that mounts on the rear sight"
    Any feedback or suggestions Are more than welcome

17. 17&27

17&27

Excellent choice. I've carried the same gun for 16 years.

18. bolling

bolling

I have the KKM conversion and it works perfectly and is very accurate.

19. bac1023

bac1023

20. marano

marano

I just pulled up a pic of mine and it has the smooth between the finger groves too. I bought mine in 96 too I believe. I carried it on duty everyday from 1996 to 2004 as my primary weapon as a narcotics investigator and then as a Criminal investigator. I also carried off duty. Mine has maybe 2k rounds thru it with never a problem. Has a little character wear on the slide from holster carry. I even took mine(unauthorized of course) on a couple of military missions. I love that little gun.