G27 conversion to .357 SIG question..

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by DrtyHarry, Jan 23, 2010.

1. DrtyHarry

DrtyHarry

I want to shoot .357 SIG out of my .40 G27.

Just to double check, I was looking at Lone Wolf's site and they don't have a "conversion" barrel for the 27/33 .357. They do have a .357 barrel that says it can be used in the 27, just not listed under "conversion" barrels.

I know the .357 is going to kick more than my 27 with .40, so I decided perhaps to go with an externally ported barrel. I just want to double check with you guys that this is the correct barrel that I need. It does say "Intended for use in the Glock 27,33 pistol only." Like I said, I just wanted to double check.

http://www.lonewolfdist.com/Detail.aspx?PROD=1030

Thanks in advance. Open to any comments on the ported barrel idea. Oh, I have an internal lasermax, will shooting with the ported barrel cover up the lense with dust at a faster rate? In other words, will the laser disappear on me after 4-5 rounds? Speaking of rounds, I'm also open to .357 SIG ammo suggestions. Shot one once and was amazed with my groupings compared to the same gun in .40.

DH

2. 9mmdude

9mmdude

A couple of things:

I don't believe the .357 sig will have any more recoil than your .40. It will be a little more Snappy but the push back won't be as much.

I would stay away from the ported barrel and either get a factory Glock 33 barrel or the lone wolf barrel. You only need to drop it in and fire away.

3. Paul_J

Paul_J

Yes, I've shot both and the .357 does feel a bit more snappy but almost negligible. Just get a Glock 33 barrel as mentioned above unless you want to shoot non-jacketed lead. Your .40 mags will work fine.

4. DrtyHarry

DrtyHarry

Thanks! Is there any improved accuracy with the ported barrel? Lone wolf says it's about an inch longer. The 33 I shot had an extended ported barrel and shot better than my 27 in .40.

So you are saying that my follow-up shots should be comparable to that using my .40? I thought I would loose more time due to the added recoil, thus my thought on getting a ported barrel. Again, thanks!

DH

5. Keoking

Keoking

I have 357sig and 9mm conversion barrels for my G27. For me, the perceived recoil on the 357sig is less than the 40sw, and the accuracy is better. But damn, it sure is a whole lot louder. For that reason alone, I would dislike having to shoot it in a self defense situation in my home.

6. Paul_J

Paul_J

I guess the next question is "What is the intended purpose of the gun?" Is this for range use? I personally would not carry a gun with a conversion barrel but if this would be for range use or some type of sport shooting it would be okay but if follow up shots are important then I would go 9mm.

7. ProCarryNAustin

ProCarryNAustin

Accuracy is not improved with barrel length. While the ported barrel might offer a little less recoil (I would bet very little in this application), the increase in muzzle blast will probably be spectacular and would probably offset any lessening of recoil. I had a G33 for years that I loved, but my wife nicknamed it the "noisy cricket" after the pistol in Men in Black.

8. 9mmdude

9mmdude

If you have to shoot in a self defense situation your hearing will be fine with any handgun round.

The shooter rarely has any hearing issues. Anyone standing next to the gun as it goes off without warning is the person hurting.

9. DrtyHarry

DrtyHarry

Thanks for all your replies! This isn't my daily carry piece, this is more for a HD and range/plinker fun gun. I also plan on packing it on hunting trips and such.

DH

10. 01GlockFan

01GlockFan

I have the .357 Siglone wolf barrell for my G27 and I love it. I have put enough time on the range with it, that it is now my EDC. However, I use G33 mags.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. FinnFanatic

FinnFanatic Stinkin badgers

I use,as my concealed carry weapon, the G33 with the extended ported LW barrel. For ME, the muzzle flip seems less and the accuracy is better than the stock barrel. Is it because of the less perceived recoil or is the barrel more accurate, I don't know. Felt recoil tends to be a subjective thing, but accuracy can be measured. Yes, I know recoil can be measured, but what bothers one shooter may not bother the next.

12. G33

G33 Frisky! CLM Millennium Member

Stop.
    Do not.
    You will like it.
    :supergrin::supergrin:

Get the ported for fun.

13. DrtyHarry

DrtyHarry

Would it be safe to use this as my daily carry if I used the LW .357 barrel WITH factory G33 mags?

I don't think I'll ever switch over from 1911s as primary carry, but possibly as a back-up or on hot summer days. The .357 was incredibly accurate and can't wait for my 27 to start feeding on .357 ammo, my 27 has yet to have a FTF in over 2000+ rds! :)

DH

14. mikeflys1

mikeflys1 Pastafarian

From some of the threads that have been posted recently, you might be better off using the .40 mags.

(My main carry is a G27 with lw .357 barrel and just using .40 mags)

15. DrtyHarry

DrtyHarry

Hmmm...my local "Glock Guy" told me I should use .357 mags if I'm going to carry it...40s at the range. Interesting...

DH

16. 9mmdude

9mmdude

I have always had luck using .40 mags when shooting .357 sig in my glock 40's. When I have used .357 sig mags I have had some feeding issues.

17. got_metal

got_metal

18. Paul_J

Paul_J

I may have to re-think my conception (or misconception) about using a non glock barrel in an EDC. I imagine if you can demonstrate the reliability after a given number of rounds what would be the difference. I would be more apt to try this with the .40 to .357sig swap using a non-Glock barrel.

19. ProCarryNAustin

ProCarryNAustin

Personally and regardless of the brand of pistol, I don't carry anything that I haven't personally put many rounds through. There can be issues with any firearm and I will not bet my bacon on anything unproven.

Get the barrel. Enjoy it. Fire the blazes out of it. If it is reliable, carry it. I like at least 200-300 rounds down the barrel before I call it good. YMMV.

20. tango44

tango44