G27 conversion barrels: best value?

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by snowbird.40, Jun 10, 2020.

1. snowbird.40

snowbird.40

I plan to pick up my new G27.4 in a couple months. It'll be like 'old home week' after so many years without a 27 (it was my first Glock back in 2004-05). With some advice from GT, I've decided to go back to AIWB with a Galco Ultimate Second Amendment horsehide holster, only I'm going to shuffle my belt buckle to the left and CC the gun at 12 o'clock.

If the comfort factor is better than my old position of 12:30, I might consider getting a 9mm conversion barrel for summer carry and stay with the OEM .40 caliber barrel for cooler months. If I REALLY love it, I might sell my Sig P365 and stick with my three Glocks: a G23.2, the 27 and a G42 … all equipped with night sights and serving a different purpose.

My supply of Federal HST 124-grain standard pressure loads is quite healthy, so I'd like to keep a 9mm in my limited arsenal, thus the interest in a conversion barrel.

Figured I'd check out some reviews and then check websites. I was surprised (and disappointed) to see no 40-9 barrels on the Lone Wolf website. I recall using them in the past with other guns and felt they represented the best value for a barrel that seemed to work fine in another G23 with no other modifications such as extractor and ejector.

Are there any other barrels I'm missing? The next step up is about $165 plus shipping compared to around $100 for Lone Wolf (if they showed a 40-9 barrel).

Thanks for the input.

2. 9x45

9x45 Millennium Member

Just get a G26 then.

Rick James45, Rocky7 and G26-Has-my-6 like this.

3. sig357fan

sig357fan

your gonna get a lot of "don't carry an aftermarket barrel, they'er only for range use".

my premise is that I have to prove out any firearm I would use for self defense, regardless of caliber or manufacture.

I would also have to prove out any modifications I make to a self defense firearm.

only you can determine what "prove out" means for you.

that said, I've used a couple of different manufactures conversion barrels in several different Glocks, I currently have a Storm Lake conversion barrel for my 23, after thousands of rounds with just dropping the barrel in and using caliber specific mags with the various Glocks I've owned and over 2000 rounds in my 23 with the Storm Lake barrel and 19/17 mags, well, that's more than I do to prove out a new carry handgun.

have I ever carried any Glock with a conversion barrel - no, would I carry my current 23 with the Storm Lake barrel - yes, if I had no other option, but I've always been able to find SD ammo for my carry handgun in the caliber it came in from the factory.

bottom line, what every you do, prove it out before you stake your life on it.

4. Toocool45

Toocool45

I would get a KKM conversion barrel in 9MM. If you are wanting a 357 sig barrel for it I would buy a factory Glock barrel.

Bluescot, sig357fan and snowbird.40 like this.
  5. sig357fan

sig357fan

yup, got a 32 barrel directly from Glock......AND......Advantage Arms makes a complete slide conversion for 22 LR, not as reliable as any thing Glockish, very ammo specific but real fun just the same.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2020
  6. thewoods868

thewoods868 thewoods868

Why would you pick a g26 size gun over the p365 smaller lighter same capacity?Would definitely be more comfortable aiwb?

snowbird.40 likes this.
  7. snowbird.40

snowbird.40

woods - I used to wear a similar rig with an old G27 at 12:30 and it was OK for comfort but dug into my femoral nerve while sitting, especially hunched over a keyboard performing my job. Now that I'm retired and my hunching is limited to typing on this forum and one other, it's not an issue. Plus, I've lost about 20 pounds, which should reduce the pressure from above.

As to why I'd give up the little Sig, that's definitely nothing more than conjecture at this point. I really like the Sig and have shot it well in IDPA and USPSA matches. I plan to shoot another USPSA match with it next Saturday with three 15-round magazines, so I'll be in a better position to judge its worth after that.

Truth is, this acquisition phase is unique in my recent lifespan; up until this pandemic my goal has been to reduce the number of handguns in my arsenal to just those that filled an obvious niche. All I'm saying is that if the G27 is comfortable to CC at 12 o'clock and doesn't print much, then I'd possibly have two guns performing the same function.

Another poster questioned the value of adding a conversion barrel just for the sake of shooting 9mm in the warmer months. He/she makes a very valid point. Acquiring the barrel and three magazines could easily amount to $200 … money that could be well-spent on more .40 caliber ammunition and match fees. Something to consider, especially when the reliability of the weapon could be compromised.

Time will tell ...

Bluescot likes this.
  8. thewoods868

thewoods868 thewoods868

I concur a 27 would work just as well in summer as winter. And you have the 365 for a 9mm option. I stated before the 357 sig is a round that seems to be overlooked. It would be a much easier conversion for your 27 with a lot more energy that is only bested by the 10 mm glocks. I carry a 33 everyday for the power the round delivers. You never know what situation your going to be in if that tragic day happens more power is better in my opinion.

snowbird.40 likes this.
  9. Toocool45

Toocool45

One thing to consider. If/when the pandemic(gun buyin) crazy prices. A whole 26 might be worth serious consideration. While it is another added expense, its also another complete firearm. Not to mention another caliber. What i have seen, is blowout of ammo sales too. If you need ammo you might be able to get more than 1 rather than just looking for out of stock ammo. Yes 550. Or 600 is a lot of money for retired person but its another consideration. Plus like a G27, a G26 is extreamly accurate. Ask me how I know? So 150 for a barrel and 2 mags. Or 550 -600 for complete gun nothing needed except ammo supply.

snowbird.40 likes this.
  10. okiegtrider

okiegtrider

Bought a KKM .40-9 barrel for my 27 a few months ago. Only have about 300 rounds through it at the moment, but so far very pleased with it.

Bluescot and snowbird.40 like this.
  11. snowbird.40

snowbird.40

Thanks everyone. I've never given serious consideration to a Sig barrel, but I'll check out the stats regarding terminal performance. I recall given that round serious consideration as a hunting round for whitetail deer, but the diameter of the bullet didn't meet the minimum in the state where I lived, so I kept looking and wound up hunting with a S&W 629 in .44 magnum … it worked great on deer!

Availability of .357 Sig ammo has always been a major deterrent for a move to that caliber, plus I understand the blast and noise is quite loud, especially indoors for home defense situations. I'll take another look. It would be nice to use the same magazines from the 27 and my 23. (I also have a 15-round mag that I bought at a gun show.)

Your thoughts are much appreciated.

12. Rick James45

Rick James45

.357 Sig is not as nasty as one would think. I have several Storm Lake conversion barrels for .357 sig for 23/22/35. No problem. Try some middle of the road loadings by Speer or Remington for the sig. It is flat shooting and the blast/snappiness I cannot really tell a difference between it and the 40. The 357sig does recoil more to rear and a bit less flip than the 40 in my hands.

However, in the end, the G26 is just a damn good sweet gun and so is the G27. You can't go wrong.

snowbird.40 likes this.
  13. Mike-M

Mike-M

There are a lot of major components that differ between a real G26 and a G27 with aftermarket 9mm conversion barrel even when a 9mm magazine is used:

1. Slide
    2. Barrel
    3. Firing Pin
    4. Extractor
    5. Spring-loaded Bearing
    6. Ejector in Trigger Mechanism Housing

snowbird.40 likes this.
  14. 9x45

9x45 Millennium Member

Snow, why would you shoot a sub compact in a USPSA match???

snowbird.40 likes this.
  15. snowbird.40

snowbird.40

9x45 --- I don't have any handguns dedicated to competition; instead I always shoot my CC guns using a strong side kydex holster. And, next Saturday I might use my IDPA vest on a couple of stages. What I consider 'gaming' a USPSA match is using the 15-round mags.

It's only been in the last couple of years that I've used an assortment of CC guns in IDPA and BUG matches. Back when I was a 1gunsnowbird I pretty much used my G26 or G43 exclusively.

My last IDPA match before the quarantine I shot with my Sig and 15-round mags in the SSP division, just to save myself some extra mag changes and I landed in 24th place out of 64 total shooters … pretty good for me. The Sig did just fine; no issues, and I got to see an international champion shoot in my squad: Elias Frangolis. Amazingly fast. Amazingly accurate.