Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Adirondacker with a Glock
2,825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I fired some 165 gr Gold Dot JHP through my G27 after practicing all week with my .22. I think she was jealous after being ignored all week because she kicked like a mule. Never seemed to recoil so hard before.

Assuming it was 10% ammo& 90% me, I need to do something to prepare for shooting .40 after getting used to .22.

Lots of shooting with the .22 has really helped in terms of grip, stance, accuracy, etc. But has temporarily (I hope) spoiled me for shooting my .40.

what methods to you guys use to prepare mentally for a heavier caliber after training with a lighter one?

·
Observer
1,922 Posts

2-3 shots of this the night before the shooting ... :supergrin:

·
2,825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Registered
7,642 Posts
I fired some 165 gr Gold Dot JHP through my G27 after practicing all week with my .22. I think she was jealous after being ignored all week because she kicked like a mule. Never seemed to recoil so hard before.

Assuming it was 10% ammo& 90% me, I need to do something to prepare for shooting .40 after getting used to .22.

Lots of shooting with the .22 has really helped in terms of grip, stance, accuracy, etc. But has temporarily (I hope) spoiled me for shooting my .40.

what methods to you guys use to prepare mentally for a heavier caliber after training with a lighter one?
I know no gun is a toy, but a .22???
That's not really shooting is it?
That's like playing some video game like Halo and
thinking you can actually fire a weapon?

Best way is to accept you've picked up a real gun now and it's time to shoot it! LOL!

Lean into it, prepare for actual recoil, hold the barrel down
and rip off some rapid double taps like a man - LOL!

·
Observer
1,922 Posts
...Lots of shooting with the .22 has really helped in terms of grip, stance, accuracy, etc.
Very true, what .22 gun you're using - a revolver ?

·
Registered
367 Posts

Best way is to accept you've picked up a real gun now and it's time to shoot it! LOL!

:popcorn:

·
magnifi ba$tard
503 Posts
I haven't been training with a .22 pistol, but most of my recent "training" with my G20-SF has been dry-firing, (10mm's a little pricier than every other Glock caliber ;) ).

After (re)developing good Glock trigger technique, (little different than any other pistol), through that, I found myself still shooting high and left most of the time. I thought about what the difference could be between that and my results dry-firing, and I realized that I was in fact flinching a little, anticipating the recoil.

Once I realized that and concentrated more on holding my sight picture, letting the trigger break when it was going to without thinking about it, my POI finally met my POA.

ymmv.

·
2,825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Very true, what .22 gun you're using - a revolver ?
The ISSC M22. I wanted the G19 format which I'd ordered a year ago. What actually came just a week ago, was the model with the 4" barrel, ports and a slide extension. A nice little semi-auto .22 but it has almost zero recoil. I took the slide extender off and moved the front sight to the regular slide to give me a sight picture like my G27, but the top ported barrel still gives me a zero or negative barrel flip. (that made the 27 seem even worse when I got back to it)

I've been running this thread, as well as an earlier one, over in general firearms http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1376301 with pictures.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Get you a G26 or G19 and slip that sucker in the lineup between the .22 and .40. You need another couple of glocks anyway.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Obviously, the .22 rimfire is quite a contrast with the G27. I find that I don't really think about or notice the G27 recoil unless I've been shooting the G26 or G19 a lot. I don't necessarily recommend a person carry the G27 unless he shoots it pretty much. Even though I shoot all sorts of guns and calibers all the time, I don't like to be surprised by the feel of my carry gun.

It's not a huge deal, but for me personally, I want to carry what I shoot a lot. Back in the late '90s and early 2000s, I was shooting the G26 in GSSF and IDPA matches and practicing with it a bunch, so IT was my carry gun during that time. Just made sense to me.

·
Registered
7,642 Posts
Obviously, the .22 rimfire is quite a contrast with the G27. I find that I don't really think about or notice the G27 recoil unless I've been shooting the G26 or G19 a lot. I don't necessarily recommend a person carry the G27 unless he shoots it pretty much. Even though I shoot all sorts of guns and calibers all the time, I don't like to be surprised by the feel of my carry gun.

It's not a huge deal, but for me personally, I want to carry what I shoot a lot. Back in the late '90s and early 2000s, I was shooting the G26 in GSSF and IDPA matches and practicing with it a bunch, so IT was my carry gun during that time. Just made sense to me.
Yup, Yup.
If you carry it should be as natural to shoot as breathing...

·
Registered
59,811 Posts

:dunno::upeyes::faint:

·
Registered
311 Posts
Yea, I'm in the same situation w/my new Gen4 G27...I've spent alot of range time fixin' my G26, at least 1600 rounds and now my accuracy with the new G27 is not good at all.

I'm fine with the G23, but I'm gonna have to spend alot of time practicing with the 27 to get close to the accuracy of my G23s. I use WWB 180gr for target ammo and the G27 is kickin' my butt. :dunno:

·
Observer
1,922 Posts
The ISSC M22. I wanted the G19 format which I'd ordered a year ago.......I've been running this thread, as well as an earlier one, over in general firearms http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1376301 with pictures.
It is a nice little gun… Pretty much for the same purpose I was looking for one of those in the last gun show but couldn’t find one…DA are not triggers that I’m used to, you know…
How close do you find the trigger to be to the one of your Glock ? I know that some recommend to practice with .22 revolver if you want to get used to a DA type of trigger because the sound and the felt recoil is minimal and you can concentrate on proper pulling and so on, plus there are some drills that you can do with the .22 that will help later when you shoot the 9mm for example or larger cal. What drills are you shooting w the .22 ? Anything involving a timer ?

Interesting thread, also I went over your blog but I’ll go read more if I have time … :wavey:

·
Registered
59,811 Posts
Yup, that was harsh.
Tried to delete, but there's not option for that here?
Oh well, hopefully it's taken with a grain of salt?
It might have been harsh but at the same time it was a bit humorous also.

One thing that comes to mind is the next time you shoot start with the G27 and then move on to the .22. In my limited experience one way to deal with these issues is with a revolver as it is very easy to not load a chamber or two doing it yourself and still be surprised by the gun not firing. It can be done with a pistol and snap caps but I never had any luck doing that by myself with surprise. But admittedly I am dating myself now as not everyone has a revolver. Doesn't seem that long ago when everyone had a revolver but not everyone had a pistol.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts