Glock Talk banner
1 - 20 of 96 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to purchase a compact 9mm handgun later this spring and I have been strongly considering the G26. I already have a G19 that I carry off duty during the colder months when I can wear several layers of clothing, but during the warmer months I must resort to my G27 (which is not my favorite). I recently handled a compact Smith&Wesson M&P, and even though it does seem a little bigger than the G26, I think I might like the feel of it better than Glock's sub-compact frames. What experiences, good or bad, have some of you had with Smith&Wesson M&P compacts? Does the Smith&Wesson M&P 9 compact even compare to the G26?

Thank you in advance.

·
Nice guy
1,460 Posts
The smith seemed longer to me. The grip was smaller, which is hand specific/subjective. It has a single recoil spring, diff grip insert- including a nice Crimson laser setup. The G26 has a track record the Smith doesnt. I'm not crazy about the hinge trigger on the smith. You can share mags with your G19.

I'd go with the G26.

·
Talk is cheap!
733 Posts
Just my (biased) opinion... I recently sold my Glock carry gun (a G29) and bought a S&W M&P9C. I find it to be much more ergonomic than my Glocks and I shoot it better without any effort on my part, which is always a good thing. :)

If the G26 really fits your hand and feels comfortable then that is one thing, but to me it was no contest. I still own a G19 (it is the nightstand gun) and love it for what it is but the M&P just offers more.

My $0.02

·
Registered
112 Posts
I have both and really like both. They are really close in size ... maybe the grip on the M&P is about 1/2 inch longer. I installed the Apex striker in the M&P and the trigger is really great and so a little easier to shoot than the Glock.

http://apextactical.com/hp_zencart/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=7&products_id=21

But ... For what ever reason, I usually choose the G26 for carry ... it's not much smaller but just a little easier for me.

One advantage to the Glock is you have the G19 mags already. But then S&W is running a promo rebate 2 extra mags. I don't think you could go wrong with either.

·
Registered
495 Posts
I was issued a MP9 for a while, and got the 9c to carry off duty. I liked it, but was not in love with it. I loved the full size MP. When I left my previous department, I started acquiring Glocks, and now carry a G19 on duty. I have a G27 that I frequently carry off duty. While the flat mag base makes it super easy to conceal, I prefer to use at least a +1 extension. I love this combination of short barrel, decent grip, and all around good feel in the hand. There's nothing wrong with the 9c, but I would pick the G26 or 27. I have pics of the 9c and my G19 together, I think you will agree that the 9c is very close to the same size as the Smith. Hope this helps.

G27 with extended baseplate in IWB holster from forum member JoshK.

·
Registered
739 Posts
Forgive me Lord but I'm succumbing to the power of the Dark Side of the Force (Smith and Wesson). My reasons:

Seems like its very well built
Love the grip angle
You can change the grip to better suit you hand and feel
Better standard sights
Fully reversible mag release
S&W lifetime warranty
Good (but not great...... yet....... after market parts available)
Has handled every pathetic round I've put in it

I've purchased a 9 Pro and its my Go-To IDPA Production gun. My buddy has the 9c and I've shot the heck out of it as well. Love it. Have one on order.

Can't go wrong.....

·
Banned
210 Posts
Just wait until you try a Kahr PM 9. Now that is the cat's meow for Conceal Carry if you like 9 mm. I carry a CW-40 now and sold my G 26 and never looked back! Got to be the most comfortable gun I have ever carried in 30 years.

·
Registered
478 Posts
I was in the same boat you are about a year ago my friend... I chose the m&p but if I were you I would go w/ the Glock, only b/c u already have the big brother. I've shot both and they are equally superb guns. If possible go to your local gunshop and ask to hold both, thats what I did as well as an xd subcompact 9. I like the way the smith feels, plus I have its big brother m&p. That was my selling point on it, I carry it in either a galco ankle holster (not noticeable at all) or a crossbreed supertuck (very little printing with baggy shirts).

·
Registered
478 Posts
I was issued a MP9 for a while, and got the 9c to carry off duty. I liked it, but was not in love with it. I loved the full size MP. When I left my previous department, I started acquiring Glocks, and now carry a G19 on duty. I have a G27 that I frequently carry off duty. While the flat mag base makes it super easy to conceal, I prefer to use at least a +1 extension. I love this combination of short barrel, decent grip, and all around good feel in the hand. There's nothing wrong with the 9c, but I would pick the G26 or 27. I have pics of the 9c and my G19 together, I think you will agree that the 9c is very close to the same size as the Smith. Hope this helps.

G27 with extended baseplate in IWB holster from forum member JoshK.
Love the stippling on the m&p where did u have that done?

·
Frisky!
35,985 Posts
Like Glocks....
But S&W has a winner here.
Fits hands.
Nice trigger after clean up.
Soft shooting.
Accurate.
:supergrin::supergrin:

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
for me, i looked at the M&P9c, the Beretta Px4 Subcompact, Glock 26, and Springfield xD9 subcompact.

I thought about capacity first. 12, 13, 10, and 13 respectively (before you get into the extended mags) so Beretta and Springfield win.

Light Rail for accessories - All except Glock.

Extended mags= Smith, i am not sure about, but Beretta can used the 17 round fullsize px4 storm mags, Glock can use 12, 15, 19 and 33 round mags, Springfield comes with an extra 16 round extended mag. So depending on if you want extended mags, its your preference.

Crimson Trace Laser- You can get the CT grips for SW (from factory if u want), glock and the Springfield. Not enough market share for CT to do a grip laser for the Px4.

Grip Backstraps- Smith and Beretta had interchangeable backstraps to fit different hands. (if you get the CT grip on the smith you cant change to a backstrap without taking off the laser, so basically one size for the CT grip)

Size- They are all similar size, the beretta might be a little bit taller. I would say go hold / shoot them all if you could.

It was close between the Springfield and Beretta for me, Glock was out for lack of features and low capacity, and the M&P was just a little too long.

I ended up picking the Beretta, and I like my choice. Its more rounded than the Glock, and the extra weight doesnt bother me. Put 100 rounds through it flawless. Also Beretta is having a magazine promotion until August 30th, buy a Px4 Storm and send a copy of your reciept and get a free mag.

Here's a comparison chart

http://px4sc.com/Comparison.htm

Also i have a PM9 like was suggested too. Excellent pocket carry piece :) I take that when i go riding.

·
Wake Up America
852 Posts
I know you didn't ask, but I would also say look at the Kahr PM9, Walther PPS and Sig P239. I have all three and each is seriously easy to carry.

Having said that though, I usually find myself carrying the G19 more than anything. :50cal:

·
Registered
880 Posts
I have not shot the M&P but I have held one. I was not that impressed. Some people like the grip in that it swells and can be replaced, but I hate interchangeable grips. Had a Sigpro that always felt like the grip was shifting on the frame. I do have a G26 and feel that the grip is great for me, plus it shoots like a laser and is compatible with my larger Glocks' mags. I am finding out that sticking to one platform and style of handgun makes for easier grip muscle memory training and thus more accurate shooting. Just my $.02

·
Banned
1,899 Posts
ive got a g26 now,but i also have a px4sc,g19 and a p2000sk....the mp9c is next on my list.

1 - 20 of 96 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.