G26 vs. M&P Compact

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by LilWolfess, Oct 19, 2010.

1. LilWolfess

LilWolfess

Since I haven't had the time or resources to visit a gun store lately, could anyone be kind enough to find me some comparison measurements? I have small hands and am trying to shop around for a CCW that might fit my tiny paws a little better.

Specifically, I am looking for the distance between the back of the grip, and the front of the trigger.

Since everyone says the different grip inserts make the M&P easier for smaller hands, I was wondering if I should look that direction or not. Does anyone have a G26 and the M&PC that could show the difference in measurement, if there is one?

2. eddy t

eddy t

I would think the M&P would be a shorter distance if you install the small grips (m&p comes with sm-med-lg grips) the medium grip is the one that's std. on the gun.

i was right the glock is 2 7/8 and m&p is 2 1/2. the m&p trigger is more of a half circle.
    fyi-when i hold my glock my extended trigger finger placement is just below the pad, on the m&p my trigger finger is in place at the first joint.M&P DISTANCE IS A BIT SHORTER.

3. glockfanbob

glockfanbob

Thanks for posting Eddy, I was curious myself.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2010
  4. LilWolfess

LilWolfess

Thanks!

5. Ruble Noon

Ruble Noon "Cracker"

You might look at the Ruger SR9 C. It also has replaceable backstraps and appears to have a smaller grip than the G26 or M&P

6. cowboy1964

cowboy1964

Last edited: Oct 21, 2010
  7. "Cold Dead Hands" !

"Cold Dead Hands" !

I much prefer the feel of the S&W M&P compact.
    I also shoot it much better than the G26.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2010
  8. bhk

bhk

When handling the Glocks and the M&Ps, the difference in trigger length is quite noticable (with the Glock's being longer).

9. NailShooter

NailShooter

The M&P is longer, taller, slightly thicker and has a less durable finish. My Glock sub compact has also proven to be more reliable than my M&P "C" model. Regards,

Nail

10. fastbolt

fastbolt

Just depends on each individual.

I know 3 G26 owners, all with different size hands, who find the M&P 9c to have a smaller over all grip dimension than the G26.

When I install the smallest of the grip inserts in my M&P 40c, I find it to be too small. The large insert seems to replicate the feel of the G26/27 grip frames. I've finally settled on the medium insert, myself, after having tried all of them for over a year.

It will interesting to see if the Gen4 subcompacts offer a grip back strap which provides for a slightly smaller (front-to-back) profile and feel than the current subcompact 9/40's.

11. bac1023

bac1023

I prefer the ergos of the M&P.

12. locosteelersfan

locosteelersfan

Just throwing it out there, XD subs are pretty nice. I would say they are the best of that line. My xd9sc has been as good as any gun I own. I actually shoot it as good or better at 25 yards as my fullsize guns.

13. gilfo

gilfo

Why not wait to handle the Gen 4 26. That is what I am going to do. I have small hands also and I am hoping the new Glocks will fit my hand better. I have a CZ Rami P right now but plan to sell it if the Glock fits. I shoot the trigger on Glocks much better than the CZ which is SA/DA even after a trigger job by Matt Mink a noted CZ craftsman.

14. fastbolt

fastbolt

The subcompact XD's seem nice enough. They are pretty blocky, though, as well.

15. Deaf Smith

Deaf Smith

The only question I have is does the M&P have a NY-1 trigger option.

I like my 26/27 an awful lot because of that NY-1 and 3.4 connetor setup I have in it. Heavier than the stock trigger but no stacking.

Of course I need another sub-compact carry gun like I need a hole in the head (but that has never stopped me from buying another one!)

Deaf

16. fastbolt

fastbolt

Yep, they have a heavier trigger weight option for those states, or agencies, which may require it.

17. WayaX

WayaX Lifetime Member

My feelings about sub-compacts ergonomics is: HK P2000SK > Springfield XD > M&P > Glock 26. For a sub-compact carry gun, the HK P2000SK is my favorite. If I had to choose between the GLOCK and the M&P, I'd probably take the GLOCK 26. The ergonomics aren't that bad, and the GLOCK has the option of 33 round magazines. Just food for thought.

18. G26S239

G26S239 NRA Patron

I own both and consider the 26 to be much better. Here are two comparison pics. The M&P9c is reliable and accurate but requires more deliberate focus to shoot well for me. It might be the better gun for you.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. hogship

hogship A republic, if you can keep it! Silver Member

Deliberate focus?.......Now, there is an interesting use of words! :supergrin:

I would hope I have some deliberate focus, when the adrenaline pump is red-lining the tachometer!.....but, I'd guess I'm probably just like everyone else would be.....somewhat effected by the urgency of the situation.

Personally, I don't think either little pistol would be a bad choice at all. I went with the MP9c, strictly on how the thing felt in my hand. There just didn't seem to be any other way to realistically pass judgement between the two......both are well established, reliable, and do what they need to do. The only question is: Will YOU be able to do what you need to do......if and when the time comes to perform? This is a matter that is between you and your soul......because the gun is only a tool that needs a proficient operator to do it's job well.

hog

20. Adam5

Adam5

I'm the opposite. The M&Ps shoot way more naturally for me. I have to really concentrate to shoot a Glock accurately, where the M%P I don't think about, I just point it where I want the shot to go and it goes there.