G26 vs J frame?

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by jamaicanj, Oct 9, 2010.

1. jamaicanj

jamaicanj

I know that this topic has been discussed a million times. Most people have expressed that the j frame is hardly noticeable due to it's weight. I am only curious to know what the weights are of each pistol when loaded so that I can better appreciate the carried weight.

I am in no way trying to start up a caliber or revolver/semi discussion.

Thanks

2. DannyR

DannyR Moderator Millennium Member

J-frames come in various weights, depending on frame material. Check the S&W website for specs. Keep in mind that the lighter the frame, the more the felt recoil. Advantages of the G26:

1. far easier to shoot accurately due to superior sights
    2. far less recoil than a J-frame
    3. twice the ammo capacity
    4. changeable sights with nearly unlimited aftermarket choices

Ammo weight depends on the grain weight of the bullet. 10 rounds of 124-gr 9mm would weight about twice as much as 5 rounds of 125-gr .38 Special, but 5 rounds would be about the same.

3. Shadyscott69

Shadyscott69

When loaded, my G26 weighs almost double what my loaded 340pd weighs. I don't consider the 26 to be a pocket gun in any way.

To me, the 26 is a "tweener". Too big to be small and too small to be big.

For pocket carry a J frame or PM 9 will get the call. For holster carry the 26 gets skipped over for the G 23. To be completely honest, the 26 doesn't have much of a purpose to me. :dunno:

4. Brigrat

Brigrat Question Everything

For me it is not so much a weight issue as much as size. I can slip the J-Frame in my pocket and it goes unnoticed, The 26 is big enough that a belt holster is really the only choice. I have pocket carried a 26 for long periods, but I am fairy large (6'2" 265lbs), the J-frame is simply better in this application. If you plan on using a belt holster regardless of the choice, then I would go with the 26, it's not much bigger, and it's not much heavier, and it has a lot more firepower.

5. Russ424

Russ424

I agree with all that is said above

6. Shadyscott69

Shadyscott69

I was hoping the 26 would be some holy grail. It just wasn't.

7. DEM

DEM

I had a S&W Airweight; I now have a G26. I did so because of superior accuracy and capacity. Although the G26 is not as easy to pocket carry, I do pocket carry frequently in a Nemesis holster. It depends on what I'm wearing. All other times, it rides in a Fobus paddle holster.

8. Shadyscott69

Shadyscott69

I didn't say it can't be done, it just kind of defeats the purpose. I am sure there are plenty of folks pocket carrying a G26 everyday. I am a big guy and nearly 2lbs in my pocket is excessive to me.

9. _STL_15_

_STL_15_

I love my S&W 642 Airweight. I also like the G26 in a SOB holster. Between the 26 and my 642 I would take my 642.

10. keadymike

keadymike

Have both but carry the G26 in Aholster kydex, relaxed fit khakis that have large pockets and openings. Good belt required.

11. Sonnytoo

Sonnytoo

When in a hurry, I grab my j-frame 442 (18 oz loaded) with my Barami HipGrip belt hook and head out. Not in my pocket, but on my belt with no holster. The Barami HipGrip takes the place of a holster and I've used them on five guns or so for 30 yrs. They cost about $25.
    I also have a G26 which I carry IWB. The gun loaded is 26 ounces.
    So, the Glock has more firepower (double) but weighs about 36% more and requires a holster.
    No contest in that battle. Firepower MAY be important but you don't know. Most parking lot problems require from 0-2 shots. Bandit gangfights require hundreds more. Adjustable sights are not necessary. I can hit a silhouette target @ 25 yds just fine with either gun, but altercations in a parking lot will be @ 4 feet.
    I carry a G36 IWB which is 6+1 rounds, and I'm content. I carry an extra mag in my Levi's watch pocket. It fits like a glove.
    sonnytoo

Last edited: Oct 9, 2010
  12. Long time holdout

Long time holdout

I have both and I carry the 26 much more often. I feel the added capacity and the extra mags far out weigh a small size difference.

13. GammaDriver

GammaDriver

I, too, love my 642, but what this guy wrote needs to be taken into consideration.

If you have the money for it, the molded-into-the-grip-laser on the 642 is simply the most useful laser on a handgun I've ever played with. I didn't realize I'd ever want a laser until both becoming familiar with the 642, and upon later playing with a 642 with the laser that comes with it from S&W when you order it that way.

The balance of the decision is - what areas are you seriously going into?

Capacity lost its value to me after carrying a G23 in the better suburbs of Pittsburgh for long enough.

The 642 really became a great piece for regular Florida carry (shorts and a T-shirt), up until my most recent job that has my destination being what just got rated as the 5th worst, or most dangerous (I haven't read the article yet, but I keep getting told about it), community here in south Florida. Shootings and prostitution galore. I carry a G23 again, on work days, and the 642 on paradise days.

14. Hugo R

Hugo R Gaff G26 User!

To me it was and continues to be. I carried a five shot but never really felt comforted by the little gun all by itself. As a BUG I loved it and do still consider it a great sidearm for certain applications.

I do agree that the G26 is a bit much for pocket carry. The J Frame is better suited for that IMO. Lately I've let my little LCP do a lot of the lifting the J Frame used to do. Seven shots of .380 plus a quick six shot reload trumps the five plus five from a J Frame IMHO.

However, the G26 is perfect for unobtrusive concealed carry with a HIGH degree of the "comforted" feeling that I never really got from the J Frame. With it's cut down barrel/slide and grip I still get 11 plus as many as 32 for a reload.

Holy Grail? For me, yeah.

HR:cool:

15. AgentM79

AgentM79 Platinum Member

J-Frames are easier to hide/conceal. They have a "circular" profile, while the Glock 26 has a "square" profile. This is an oversimplification, but it works. We are, of course, talking about pocket/ankle carry.

A G26 can be fairly-well concealed in the pocket of a pair of "tactical pants" (i.e. "511" or "Vertex"), when carried in a pocket holster (think "DeSantis Nemesis"). But, you'll want to use the flat-bottom magazine baseplate on the in-gun magazine, and not a Pearce Extender. For me, there is no ankle carry for a G26. Too heavy and bulky for comfort.

J-Frames (think "Centennial" Airweight at minimum, not an all-steel gun) are much more comfortable to carry in a pocket holster. The Centennial round-butt, humpback profile is made to be snag-free and easily concealed. It's smaller overall profile and weight makes the J-Frame far more suitable for ankle carry.

J-Frames carry only five rounds, that's true. They are harder to shoot well than a G26, and less powerful ballistically than a G26. But for carrying comfort, the J-Frame wins out for me. This applies to belt carry as well. Even my preferred steel-frame, square butt M36 hides better on my hip than my G26.

In a gunfight, though, I'd want the G26. Actually, I'd want my G17, several spare magazines, my folding-stock S&W 3000 12ga, and all of my buddies similarly equipped.

16. cowboy1964

cowboy1964

I would love to carry my 19 all the time but the fact is it weighs almost half a pound more than the 26 (including a spare mag) and the longer grip really does make it harder to conceal. The baby Glocks are the perfect blend of concealability/size/weight/firepower, IMO. I don't live in Afghanistan or Chicago or Detroit so realistically I don't need 31 rounds.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2010
  17. AgentM79

AgentM79 Platinum Member

I have the opposite opinion. I can pick between a G19 and a G26 on my job and deliberately selected the G26. With a G19 magazine or a G26 magazine with a Pearce baseplate inserted, the G26 (for me) handles exactly like a G19. I can conceal a G26 more easily under an oversized shirt, and I can drop it into a pocket holster (with a flat-bottom magazine in place) if I choose to tuck my shirt in. I can't do that with a G19.

If I'm going to carry a Glock that I can't hide in a pocket, I go G17. For me, The G19 is the gun that doesn't have much of a purpose. If I'm going to carry something the size of a G19, I'd go for my G30 and big-bore goodness.

18. rustynail

rustynail FORR MO

You really need both, get the airwieght Jframe and a pocket holster first, you can carry it easier than the G26 and become comfortable carrying a firearm and understand what you will feel you need for a larger carry piece. Then get the G26 and a good holster. You will find yourself using the Jframe when you are in a hurry or dressed were the G26 is to big or to heavy.
    If I need a firearm, I would hope its when I'm carrying my G26 or g29 but a Jframe is alot better than nothing and can easily be put in your pocket on the way out the door. JMO

19. IV Troop

IV Troop

I run a 442 as a BUG at work. It is considerably more comfortable to carry in an ankle rig than the G26/G27. I tried the baby Glock, but they were just a tad too big for my needs.

That being said, they were substantially easier to hit with, once the range got past 20 yards. Plus there is no denying the additional capacity.

The fact of the matter is I did not care for the G26/G27 as a pocket gun. The J frames with a Crimson Trace laser grip just worked better. The baby Glock was more in the realm of a gun that required a belt holster. If I am going to wear a belt rig, I might as well carry a G19. The G19 is simply an outstanding concealed carry rig and I consider it to be one of the finest combat pistols of all time.

20. Shadyscott69

Shadyscott69

All of the above is why we aren't all still carrying Colt SAA's. :supergrin: If we could only get Glock to make a single stack 26. Wait, that is my PM9. :wavey: