G26 still a sweet shooter

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by -JCN-, Feb 18, 2020.

1. -JCN-

-JCN-

F03DAC15-D38C-4D4A-9B12-C739AD4CD585.jpeg

This was the first gun I ever purchased back in December 2015. I’ve been shooting and carrying other guns a lot, but dusted this oldie but goodie off for my CCW renewal today.

It was 20 degrees out and a fresh snow cover so the instructor put some paper plates out at 17 yards and told students just to shoot “at” the targets and he would pass them if they could do it safely.

After watching people go 1-2/10 with all manner of teacup / saucer grips, I went up to the line and rapid fire put 10 shots into a fist-sized group on my plate.

The instructor exclaimed “100%!”
    I just smiled.

He said, “It’s nice when someone comes to one of these and knows how to shoot!”

Glock 26. Tried and true. It just works and is still a sweet shooter. I’m going to have to start shooting this little gem some more!

Glock 17L, Olympus, MikeG36 and 27 others like this.
  2. Dr_fast

Dr_fast

Cool story!
    Other than being a little bigger and a little heavier G26’s are still very concealable, and they sure are reliable and accurate!
    And flexible with anything from flush fit 10 rounds to a not so flush fit 33 rounds!
    My choice if I could only have one is the G 26.

Deputydave, HardRice, -JCN- and 2 others like this.

3. Rocky7

Rocky7 Proud NRA Life Patron Member, Life GSSF member

Carrying and competing with the 26 puts the shooter way ahead on the road to success.

If you put the time in with practice, payback will be ten fold. I have also used the 27 and 33 these last 30 years and the other models have their issues. Congrats on your reunion.

snowbird.40, Intolerant and -JCN- like this.
  4. cadillacguns

cadillacguns Millennium Member

I'm smiling just looking at your G-26, JC.
    Good shooting and great piece of mind for you and your family.
    What round do you carry in it?

-JCN- likes this.
  5. jmontgomery

jmontgomery

Good choice! I shoot mine about the same as my 17. It's a great compromise of shootability and concealment.
    IMG_20200218_115047.jpg

Big1, oldmick and -JCN- like this.
  6. Dghost

Dghost

The G26 has been a favorite of mine for a looong time. Great gun! One of the best all around guns you can buy, imo. There’s not much the G26 can’t do.

-JCN- likes this.
  7. sciolist

sciolist On the Border

The 26 maintains a full-thickness grip with continuity all the way around the beavertail area, and a full-thickness flat trigger guard. Those 2 gripping surfaces are where the action is at speed.

Regarding the concept of "shooting at" targets... To me, that means breaking shots without a good call. If a person can't call shots, he's never doing anything more than shooting at targets.

If you can learn to shoot with your eyes open, you can learn to call hits in slow fire. So mechanics get the gun grossly on target, and vision cleans things up.

For shooters at that level, it's important to understand that vision intervenes automatically to guide mechanics - as long as there's enough time. So vision is active and mechanics are passive, in terms of making calls.

To shoot anywhere near your top speed on open targets, you need to be able to rely on mechanics in an active role. Vision becomes passive. There's time to see that the gun is on target, but no time to adjust mechanics based on vision.

That's where grip and trigger press really matter.

snowbird.40, Chui, 0311INF and 3 others like this.
  8. MCCM

MCCM

[​IMG][​IMG]
    My G26.5 has been my daily carry since I sold my Shield 9mm last October. I love this gun!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

oldmick, -JCN-, Quigley and 1 other person like this.
  9. bigsteve113

bigsteve113

The G26 is a great lil shooter. Last qualification day I scored 2 points higher with my G26 than I did with my G19. Both shot very well, but the G26 won …. that day. 116/120 with the G26 and 114/120 with the G19.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2020
    snowbird.40 and -JCN- like this.
  10. Jan R Whitaker

Jan R Whitaker

Same here. I have SIGS, Walthers, and Glocks as my carry pistols. Seems like I always go back to my 26. Don't know why I shoot the 26 better but I do.

Intolerant, -JCN- and El Pistolero like this.
  11. El Pistolero

El Pistolero bene vivere Silver Member

7,850 ft up in the New Mexico Rocky Mountains
    I have Glocks 21, 30, and 19 all Gen 4s. I also have a Glock 26 Gen 5 and shoot this one the best.

Intolerant and azbuckeye like this.
  12. Quigley

Quigley Elite Member

Love a story with a happy ending JCN and love your little G26. Been carrying mine everyday for years. Also good on you for upgrading your sights. What sights are you running?

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

oldmick and -JCN- like this.
  13. Fatboy2001

Fatboy2001

"I went up to the line and rapid fire put 10 shots into a fist-sized group on my plate".
    Oh, you did not! :animlol:

JCN, just kidding. I remember when I went to "qualify" for my Kansas CCL- way back. I took my Baer Concept V and some full-house 230 Gold Dots. Put one big hole in a "bottle target" at 10 yards. A big arse challenge and I was up to it. :animlol:

-JCN- likes this.
  14. dbuck47

dbuck47

Love the 26

-JCN- likes this.
  15. 5.4 Shelby

5.4 Shelby

Good chance the 26.5 will be my next Glock. Love the size. I love my 19, but, the grip tends to stick out a little in light clothing. I think the 26 may be the perfect solution to that.

16. poodleplumber

poodleplumber

I'm still a 26 fan, too - it is my EDC and has been for a decade or so. I know a lot of people have gone to the single-stacks, but I'm just not tempted. The 26 conceals well and shoots well, I have just quit looking for carry pistols. I have the one I want.

RustyRyan, jmontgomery, Quade and 5 others like this.
  17. gunsmoke92

gunsmoke92

I'm new to the 26, having only recently acquired my Gen 3. I finally got to shoot at something other than a snow bank this morning. Why I never even looked at one before now is beyond me. I put a box and a half down range, using Blazer Brass 124 FMJ loaded in two Magpul 12's and an OEM 10 round mag with a Geeplate base. Amazingly comfortable to shoot and accurate as can be, even shooting double taps. I was considering getting a G45, but now, another 26, maybe a Gen 5 looks like a better deal.

18. Dr_fast

Dr_fast

And with the GEN five, you can get Glock night sights or the Ameriglo Orange dot front sights for not too much more. And I can tell you, the GEN five does have a significantly better trigger. It’s not only a little lighter, but smoother.

19. gunsmoke92

gunsmoke92

Even better, I have a Glock Blue Label dealer that I deal with. I'm sure they can order one in for me, so not only a better gun but a better price as well. :)

-JCN- and Dr_fast like this.
  20. AJShooter9

AJShooter9

26 is my favorite pistol. I shoot mine better than my most of my others. Been thinking of picking up another one at some point. Very versatile little gun

Sent from my iPhone using Glock Talk