close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

G26 in Subcompact Class

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by myglockisa23, Jun 11, 2002.

1. myglockisa23

myglockisa23

My next Glock will be a model 26. Are Pearce or Scherer mag extensions allowed when shooting these in the subcompact class of the GSSF? I was wondering how the recoil is compared to the slim line 45 cal sub compact.

2. GLOCKhp

GLOCKhp Proud American

The Pearce finger extensions are specifically mentioned in the rules as acceptable. I imagine you could probably use the Scherer's without a big issue. As a matter of fact, I've got two of the Scherer's I'd probably part with cheap (I was going to get a G27 several years ago, so went ahead and got them -- the G27 never happened, though, so I don't need them now). If interested, send me a PM or email.

I've never shot the G36, but a former co-worker had a 26. I shot it once and was surprised at how nicely it shot (recoil-wise). I was afraid it would be a wrist snapper. I can say it was smoother and more pleasant than the G30 or Kel-Tec P-11. The 26 is now #2 on my got-to-have list (behind the 34 -- I've got a 9-year old that I'd like to become my shooting partner, and it would be easier for him than my 23 or 17).

Hope I helped.

3. myglockisa23

myglockisa23

Thanks for the help.... My son is trying to get used to the G17 I just recently purchased and maybe he will like the smaller G26.

Dwaine

4. Don At PC

Don At PC Senior Member Millennium Member

myglockisa23:

I suggest that you read the rules further. On page 4 under "Allowable exceptions to Stock" item 4. states: " You may use Pearce Grip, inc.grip extenders only on G26/27/29/30/33 and 36 magazines(this does not include the use of other similar brand of grip extenders or magazine sleeves as discussed further below. ) therfore the Scherer Grip Extensions are NOT legal in AmCiv. This has been the rule as long as I can remember. It has to do with Glock at one time offered the Pearce Grip Extenders or something to that effect which falls inline with Glock Stock Parts.

Please take time to read the rules, it could save you from a dissappointment later.

5. Fireglock

Fireglock Which is worse?

Now Don, it hasn't been there that long, or maybe it's your memory has gotten short! ;f You are certainly correct that the Scherers are not legal. On another note, do find the rules a little disorganized in the book this year or is it just me. Seems like similar subjects should be together and not spaced around. Probably just me, I'm used to reading specifications that are neat, orderly, and numbered. ;g

6. GLOCKhp

GLOCKhp Proud American

My bad. Guess I should have read more closely, or read between the lines. (I did read them. Honest.) I just assumed that they were referring to the grip sleeves or similar items that "materially altered" the grip and gave the smaller guns the grip of the larger guns. We all know what assuming does, though!!

I agree with you, FG. For the most part the rules are well written, but that one's fuzzy.

Thanks for the info, Don. Not that I have to worry about it right now, but maybe......

7. Don At PC

GLOCKhp;
    I understand. I read over them a couple times myself to be sure. There is definately room for clarity in some areas. I just wanted to be sure that myglockisa23 did not do something that he thought was legal for AmCiv and then get a rude awakening. I feel sure there have been cases where both brands have been used and it will probably happen again but I would sure hate to "assume" i was being legal and then find out at the match that I was not or even worse shoot a good match and it be discovered that I had an illegal item installed and be left out in the cold. To me its just not worth taking the chance.

Good luck; hope to see you at the Statesville match. Be sure to say Hi.:) :) :)

8. myglockisa23

myglockisa23

It was suggested that I read the rules..... would you please post the web address for me and the others that need to read these... Thanks....I've looked for them and can't find them...

Dwaine

9. Don At PC

myglockisa23;
    If you are not a member of GSSF or you have not received The Glock Report Vol. #1 2002 go to the following web address gssfonline.com and go to the following:
    Glock Report
    Preparing for a Match
    Scroll down to "Allowable exceptions to stock

Here you will find my quote. The entire Glock report contains all the rules. All paid members of GSSF receive a new one every year plus they now have it on the web. gssfonline.com

10. Fireglock

Well you can tell Don has retired for good, he spends more time on GT than I do! ;f

11. GLOCKhp

GLOCKhp Proud American

Don,
    I'll track the team down in Statesville. Judging by what I saw in Richmond, watching Team Sidearmor members (and others they seem to attract) and taking notes/asking questions is a guaranteed way of increasing knowledge. And of course putting that knowledge to use is how skill is increased. Lord knows I need that!

12. Don At PC

I do resemble that description. Just trying to help point folks in the right direction. By the way Jerry: Put your hat on there is a glare on my screen.;P ;P ;P ;P ;P ;f ;f ;f ;f ;f

13. on target

on target

I guess no one going to answer the original question. I have a G26 I carry everyday and the recoil is no problem at all, I shoot the G26 as well as a G19

14. Don At PC

I have never shot the G36 which is the slim line sub-compact .45. I have heard from others that it is a real handful to shoot. I do have a G26 and the recoil is not hard to handle. Of all the sub-compacts I like the G27 best. The recoil is very controllable and I like the .40's especially since I reload.

I don't think there are a great many G36's in the field. As reflected by the extremely low number in GSSF when they didn't seem to catch on as well as expected unless they are only used as a concealed carry. Just my observation.

15. DannyR

DannyR Moderator Millennium Member

I've owned a G26 since December 1996. At first I tried the Pearce extensions, but found that I could easily shoot 300 rounds per day with just a two-finger grip and no extensions.

Members of Team Sidearmor are always willing to assist and share our experience. There will be about 12 of us at Statesville this year.

16. Don At PC

WOW; 4 Sidearmor Teams at Statesville. Patricia better have a lot of empty wall space ready by then. Sounds like a "Team Sidearmor" kinda weekend. I can hardly wait, I have been hitting the range pretty heavy. ;g ;g ;g

17. maxxx93

maxxx93

mg23,

I have the 17,19 and 26, my regular shooting partner is LEO and shoots his 23 duty pistol and his 36 off duty/backup piece.

So I shoot all five regularly.

The 17,19,23, all very simmiler, slightly more push to the .40, natch.
    The 26 and 36, while are quite a bit more stought, are not so unpleasant, that wouldn't want to shoot them enough to remain proficiant with them.

While I can shoot the other three all day, more than 50 rounds or so out of a subby and my thumb knuckle gets sore.

18. myglockisa23

myglockisa23

Don at PC

Thanks for the help. I found the rules back in the Glock Report Volume 1 2002. I appreciate all the help and patience that you, DannyR, fireglock and many others have provided. I hope that someday soon I'll get to meet you and all the others at a GSSF meet. I'm shooting at NJ, Statesville and Anderson for sure. The 26 is next on my list but I must wait a minimum of 30 days before making another handgun purchase. Actually you can purchase more than one in 30 days.... I bought a used 17 about two weeks ago and traded it on a NEW 17 this past Sunday. No background check required and must trade it on the same model to beat the 30 day requirement.

One more question???? Did most of you see a major improvement in your scores in your first and second GSSF?? If I can remember all that I was told and SLOW down, I expect to go from a 300 to 150 this upcoming match!!!

Thanks to all.........

Dwaine O'Barr

19. Fireglock

myglock - I actually shot better in my first match than several there after. In 95 I was shooting regularly once a week, mid 96 I stopped shooting regularly until January of last year and I started improving, big time. The answer is not shooting slow, but methodically. Aim and trigger control, then repeat. If you're really serious start practicing the course of fire, it's easily set up if you have room at your range. D-1s help quite a bit as well. And last but certainly not least check out the tips from the pros at the top of the GSSF forum, lots of good information there. Good luck and look us up at Statesville or Anderson, white hats and gray Sidearmor shirts, red Green Mountain range bag, I'm rather large as well.

20. Don At PC

myglockisa23;
    My first 2 matches were under the older scoring system which required me to shoot faster than I was capable of as a beginner. It was a good experience and fun but my scores did not show a drastic improvement until the new score system came in that we have now. Of course now I have 3 years of GSSF experience and can shoot a little faster but mainly more accurately. The 20/25 yard targets can really make you humble. I am still not a true U/L Master Class shooter and may never be but I think I have learned a great deal from our resident pros on this board. If you practice and work at it you will see improvements. Each individual will improve at their own pace and to their own level. Not everyone is really capable of becoming a true Master Class shooter but don't let that stop you from (1) having safe fun (2) do your best and consentrate (3) learn a little from each and every practice and match and don't be afraid to ask questions. We are all willing to help.
    Hope to see you at Statesville. I will be the "Really old guy" with "Team Sidearmor" plus the best looking ;f ;f ;f ;f ;f