Glock Talk banner

G26 Gen4 Range Report

4290 45
So I just took out my bran new G26 that I bought some time ago but didn't get a chance to shoot it until now. I brought two 10 rnd mags and two 12 rnd OEM (not the Magpul) mags. The ammo I fired are as follows:

*50 rnds of Fiocci 158 gr.
*100 rnds of Federal HST 124 gr. (intended carry ammo)
*50 rnds of Winchester White Box 148 gr JHP.
*50 rnds of Magtech 115 gr.

I experienced 1 FTF with the WWB from one of the OEM 12 round mags. I intend to take it out at least one other range session before I start carrying it. Despite the hiccup with the WWB, would you consider this gun good to go? Would you call this a successful range session for the G26?

Thanks.
21 - 40 of 46 Posts

· Registered
94 Posts
In the past year I put roughly 20k rounds downrange [in practice and training] with my g26gen4, g19.3, g19mos, g19gen5...the only ammo problems were with a case of Aguila 124gr [horrible primers...roughly 5-7 FTF per box...great to practice tap/rack drills with]...and the WWB on sale at Walmart...4 times the casing stuck in the chamber...once so bad a gunsmith had to hammer a live round out...went back to Walmart to get more [dont say it]...this time i checked every round by dropping them into the barrel [disassembled of course]...3 different boxes from 3 different lots...12 rounds failed to seat properly in the chamber...
*Warp...I'm with you...no WWB in my future...
OP...another 200 without issues, your g26 is good to go...

· Registered
39 Posts
My opinion/experience, Winchester ammo is crap, avoid it, use better ammo, you probably won't have any problems

But, me personally, I wouldn't consider it good to go yet. That isn't very many rounds and winchester or not it did have a malfunction
I agree. WWB has never performed 100% for me. This is true across everything I have shot it through, including Glock, H&K, FN, S&W and 1911. I quit using it and switched to Magtech, which is an excellent range ammo - put 500 rounds through it and you'll be pleased with the performance.

· ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
20,705 Posts
I love my G26 Gen4. Surprisingly, I shoot the best with flush fit 10rd mags and I feel like I shoot it better than my G19s
Run some drills/tests, same targets/hits/ammo/distance for time between the G26 and G19 and find out

· Registered
5,206 Posts
First things first I clean off packing oil and properly lube any new piece. This bs about running a new gun right out of the box - and it better run 100% even without being properly lubed - is just that, bs.
To break in/function check a new 9mm I get a 3-4 boxes of Tulammo from WM and run them through the gun. After that a few mags of your preferred carry ammo. Clean, relube, carry.
Why Tulammo? Because it's cheap/accurate/available and, at least in 9mm, as good as any other so-called range ammo out there.

· Registered
39 Posts
Run some drills/tests, same targets/hits/ammo/distance for time between the G26 and G19 and find out
I will. I went to the range last Sunday and I put 5 for 5 rounds in the head of the silhouette target at 25 yards with my G26. I know that is not an amazing feat for everyone on this forum, but it is for me and builds my confidence with G26 for my carry pistol. I know I will most likely never engage a threat (especially in the head) at that far of a distance, but it is nice to know that I could hit something that far.

· ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
20,705 Posts
I will. I went to the range last Sunday and I put 5 for 5 rounds in the head of the silhouette target at 25 yards with my G26. I know that is not an amazing feat for everyone on this forum, but it is for me and builds my confidence with G26 for my carry pistol. I know I will most likely never engage a threat (especially in the head) at that far of a distance, but it is nice to know that I could hit something that far.
Most people at the range could not do that. Not even close.

· Registered
50 Posts
I
With a new G26 Gen 4 you need to "beat up the spring" a bit by shooting a few hundred rounds through it . Also buy some Rem Oil spray from WM and spray down the double recoil spring assembly and the guide rod with Rem Oil and then wipe off the excess - then go shoot a few boxes of White Box or Blazer Brass 115gr. (115 gr. just because it's reliable and cheaper than 124 gr. target loads) ... After I did the above I never had another FF to fire , FF to eject , etc. with my G26 Gen 4... Also hit the connector in back with a short burst of Rem Oil to keep the trigger smooth . *Funny , I never use Rem Oil again on the G26 Gen 4 as I'll use Break Free , Weapon Shield or some other CLP when I field strip . But I still give the recoil spring assembly + guide rod a burst of Rem Oil once in a while and then wipe off and it keeps things running smooth and reliably (I believe the PTFE Teflon in Rem Oil is the secret in this recoil spring application) - try it !!
I am sorry in advance for being a dumb butt,but your abbreviations are driving me crazy. Does everyone in the world but me understand all of this

· Registered
542 Posts
I intend to take it out at least one other range session before I start carrying it. Despite the hiccup with the WWB, would you consider this gun good to go? Would you call this a successful range session for the G26?
Congrats on your G26. Your pistol has 99.6% reliability on various kinds of ammo, and 100% reliability on the Defense ammo on OEM Mags.

Unless something really weird comes up on that one range session you plan to do before you start carrying, those figures (as they stand) are definitely good enough for carry.

Practice a lot. Good luck.

· ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
20,705 Posts
I

I am sorry in advance for being a dumb butt,but your abbreviations are driving me crazy. Does everyone in the world but me understand all of this
He is using some made up abbreviations, that doesn't help lol

· Registered
2,278 Posts
Generally with a NEW gun its better to shoot 124g for the first couple of hundred rounds. Its not mandatory by any means. But a new gun is tight and WWB is weak stuff with poor quality control. I have not used it in some time since I generally order bulk online. They used to have an extra round in many boxes. I sometimes wondered if that was generosity, poor quality control or to make up for one that might not go off.

· Registered
1,754 Posts
Sounds like you had a mix of lower powered ammo and a new gun. I honestly wouldn’t lose sleep at night carrying it now, provided you have good SD ammo in it. That being said, it would not hurt to go put in some dry fire practice and put some rounds downrange to help the RSA loosen up and help the internals to get to know one each other better, if you get my drift.

Good choice on a firearm. 26.4 is my favorite!

· Registered
2,209 Posts
For me,where the 26 really shines is firing double taps or in rapid fire. Easy to keep on target at 7 ,10 and 15 yards. In reality if you ever you need to use your firearm for SD , target acquisition, fast sight picture are essential. Time is a precious commodity in those situations.

· Have Gun Will Travel
3,464 Posts
WWB is usually okay for me but a lot of people have reported various issues with it. My bulk range ammo of choice is Blazer Brass or Wally White Box. I speculate that it's probably ammo related problem but it could also be due to a problem with the magazine follower not advancing properly. I'd mark the magazine and do a bit more testing just to be sure.

· Registered
2,278 Posts
If it was the only gun I owned I'd be carrying it now. Better a chance it might fail than a certainty that you are unarmed.

21 - 40 of 46 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.