close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

G26 easier than G23?

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by jeanderson, Apr 22, 2012.

1. jeanderson

jeanderson Making America great again! Platinum Member

Took the wife to the range yesterday and had her try my G23 Gen3. She hated it. Too much recoil and it was nearly imposible for her to pull the slide back. I rented a .22 cal S&W target pistol and she liked that, but of course that is no defensive weapon.

I'm not too familiar with other Glock models but was thinking the G26 may be easier for her - less recoil I'm sure, but don't know about how hard the slide would be to move. Perhaps another Glock model altogether? Any suggestions?

2. Glockenspiel 25

Glockenspiel 25

if she can't rack the slide on your 23, i doubt it will be much different on a 26. recoil will be slightly less, maybe look into a revolver?

3. G19NC

G19NC

26 Gen 4 for her and never look back...

4. LT642

LT642

The Glock 26, is one of my personal favorites. Don't overlook the G19 , either would be a great choice.
    My ammo choice in 9mm is Speer Gold Dot, 124 grain, +p.
    If possible I'd rent both and let her shoot them side by side.

ETA:
    An all steel j-frame, perhaps a SP101 or a Smith and Wesson 640, three inch would also be something worth looking at. She could shoot +p .38's in it, the all steel frame would absorb the recoil nicely.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2012
  5. GIockGuy24

GIockGuy24 Bring M&M's

The dual recoil springs in the Glock 26 seem heavier to me than the generation 3 Glock 19 and Glock 23. The 9 mm does have a lot less recoil than 40 S&W though and the slide isn't moving as fast or as "snappy."

6. Zach-R

Zach-R

If your wife cant handle the recoil of a g23 Im not sure she would like a revolver either. The .38 still recoils quite a bit out of the lighter revolvers. I got my wife a Taurus Ultra Lite .38 and she doesnt enjoy it all that much but its not meant to be a range gun. Revolvers are nice because of their overall simplicity. Easy to load and no safeties. Its just something that she will have to get used to and she will with practice. Good luck.

7. scosgt

scosgt

I carried a G26 off duty and a G19 on duty for many years. The recoil spring on the G23 is the same as the G19.
    I always found the G19 slide easier to rack than the G26. More to grab and a softer recoil spring.
    I always found the recoil on the G26 to be a bit more than on the G23.
    The G26 in this case would be a bad choice.
    Put a Hogue grip onto that G23 and try again. The plastic grips can be rough on your hands.

8. Rustin

Rustin

People tend to think that girls will love small guns. Problem is, most small guns are a pain to shoot and can generally turn ladies away from shooting. Start with a .22. Move up gradually. Maybe a .38 (not an airweight snubbie), then to 9mm. Glock 19 or even 17 or 34 would be great choice for a lady.

9. TxGlock9

TxGlock9

If she havin problems with racking the slide than glock isn't for her.

10. scosgt

scosgt

We have many many female Officers of small stature who learn to rack the slide on a G19.
    It takes practice and patience.
    Do not expect to go to the range, pick up a rented G23 and be able to do the manual of arms right that minute. Training and practice is needed.
    But the G26 is harder to rack, IMHO.
    The G19 or G23 is the way to go (same RSA).

11. BBSRQ

BBSRQ

My wife had the same problem with my 23 and I'm trying to find something that works well enough for target fun and carry for her. I'm thinking about the S&W Shield. It was definitely easier to rack than my 23 and far easier than the Kahr I tried. But, actually, the reason I am writing is to mention to you that I read a piece about women and slides and the author pointed out that it is more of a technique issue than it is a strength one. Have her try the 23 again but tell her to think of it as holding the slide in place with one hand while "pushing the gun forward against the slide" with the other and see if that helps her. There were a couple of other techniques mentioned but that one seems to make the most sense to me.

12. truetopath

truetopath

I have a 27 and my wife had a heck of a time racking the slide at first, but with practice she can manage. She doesn't have a carry permit, so I was just teaching her in case I wasn't home and the gun was and she needed. I would imagine that the slide rack feels the same on the 27 as the 26, but I'm not positive. I would say practice, practice, practice, and if recoils an issue for her, stay away from revolvers.

13. jeanderson

jeanderson Making America great again! Platinum Member

Excellent suggestion about pushing the gun forward. After my post, I thought about the fact that the slides on all these models is probably going to be the same.

14. GLOCK17DB9

GLOCK17DB9

Best to take her to your LGS and have her try racking the G26 and I would also recommend the G19. Then let her decide.:dunno:

15. TSAX

TSAX USAF Vet

The G26 has always been the gun of choice with female friends, ex's, dates etc that Ive let shot with.

:50cal:

16. shockglock

shockglock

My wife had a problem racking the slide on my G19, so I bought her a Ruger SP101 in .357mag. She runs .38s through it and has no problems. The weight of the SP101 helps with the recoil. I would not even look at the light weight .38s due to the recoil. I just added a Crimson Trace laser and she loves it. It is just for HD, she doesn't CCW.

17. scosgt

scosgt

If recoil is that big an issue, try a full size .38 like a S&W M10 or M67, and use (factory) wadcutter target ammo. At close range in a home defense situation, if that is your concern) wadcutters make a BIG hole and are quite controllable in a large frame gun.

18. dmdmx2

dmdmx2

Hi there,
    your wife may want to try a Glock 19. It's a compact 9mm that would still give her 16 shots with one in the barrel. And it is compact enough for concealed carry and self defense. Also you may want to try her out with 124 grain or heavier bullet weight. Because the 115 grain bullets have a heavier recoil to them. I've owned a 9mm since 1991 and they will give less felt recoil than .40 S&W. If not you can always go with a good .38, which is the lowest caliber I'd be willing to bet my life on. Good luck in any case!

19. TxGlock9

TxGlock9

I agree training and practice is always needed, but his wife isn't a LEO. She is not obligated to learn that particular weapon. It will come down to her own personal preference.

The Sig P250 might be a better choice for her. Slides are very easy to rack and small enough without being too small.

20. frankr

frankr

Can she rack the slide less the magazine? If so, load one round less in the magazine then have her try racking the slide.