close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

G26 crack/split in frame ?

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by BIG-DOG, Oct 9, 2010.

1. BIG-DOG

BIG-DOG

Hi Guys

I was reading a post on one of my other sights I belong to and a member posted that he was seeing this crack or split on several of his different caliber gen 3 Glocks. Some other members posted that some of there glocks had this issue as well. Sure enough I disassembled my G26 (PRR) and I have the same thing a lot of them found. Mine has about 500 rds through it and has all stock parts. To be honest this could have been there from day one and I just didn't notice it until I looked for it. If you look between the lugs in the picture you can seethe metal showing through the polymer. Is anyone else seeing this on their Glocks or should I be concerned ? I am afraid to check my other Glocks now :faint:

Attached Files:

2. kda

kda NRA Life Member

I've checked all three of my G26s. All have a "line" there to some degree. All are at the exact same location, all go across the bottom and then up each side ending at exactly the same distance from the top.

It just looks like an injection mold mark to me. While yours is more pronounced than any of those similar marks on mine, mine are all at the same location and follow the same path ending at the same place.

Interestingly enough, the G26 through which I now have over 7,500 rounds has the smallest mark so I do not think this is a "crack" nor do I believe it has anything to do with the number of rounds shot.

Keep shooting, I'll bet that mark never changes on you. I sure don't view any of mine as a problem. I'm betting on injection molding marks.

3. buzzkill

buzzkill

My 3rd gen G27 shows the same wear. Unknown round count as I bought it used, but I put about 1k rounds though it.:dunno:

4. fastbolt

fastbolt

The plastic doesn't always fill in over the front frame rail fixture to the same amount. It's not unusual to find frames where some or much of the steel fixture is visible due to lack of the plastic covering it.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2010
  5. zigzagg321

zigzagg321 clever quip

just checked my 2500 round 3rd gen 26...looks the same...I wouldnt call that a crack...just no polymer cover that particular section.

6. Jim in Illinois

Jim in Illinois

I really wouldn't worry about it, It looks like a flow mark from when two "fronts" of material (plastic) meet after the inject cycle. I have seen this to various degrees for almost 30 years as an injection molder on various parts and it rarely is a problem. If the material was injected at a higher temp this mark would almost disappear but flash or burns might become an issue. GLOCK molds an awfully good part. In fact, it's some of the best molding I've ever seen. From a molding standpoint looking at my G21SF there is very little room for improvement. Jim...

7. deeHKman

deeHKman "It Is Written"

If you read my post under general Gen4 General issues i ehxplained it the best i could without going too far. I bet all Glock's have these voids/hotspots in them. A member shows a pic of basically the same issue but in a different area of a G19 gen4. There is no perfect injection molding even in metal's muchless in polymer's. With all the angles and variences in each Glock design i think they do a very good job in their molding process. FWIW..I sure am thinking of a OD G26...those baby Glocks are amazing...

8. voyager4520

voyager4520 -----

My G27 has it as well. Some of the earlier Gen4s had the same thing, not sure about the current Gen4s.

It's not wear, like fastbolt said it's a cosmetic defect.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2010
  9. TxGun

TxGun

The polymer skin is typically very thin in that particular area. So thin that it has no impact on structural integrity. It's not unusual to see metal there. If it bothers you, contact Glock. Personally, I wouldn't worry about it.

10. DrMaxit

DrMaxit Dirtbag Airman

Am I the only one that thinks this is not normal? [​IMG]

11. nick425

nick425

Yes..

12. Sniperfox

Sniperfox Kopfjaeger

I just checked my unfired G27 and it's there also.

13. BIG-DOG

BIG-DOG

I checked my G19 and G37 and there was no metal showing in either one of them. I am thinking this was probably there when I bought the gun and shouldn't (I hope) be a problem as is seems it is fairly common. There is a interesting thread going on at my other forum where there seems to be a lot of small cracks (imperfections ?) and exposed metal showing on some of the current G3 frames with quite a few pictures. It is pretty interesting. Is it ok to post a link for those that would be interested ?

14. bassin98

bassin98

Just checked my gen.3 G26 and it looks the same.

15. DrMaxit

DrMaxit Dirtbag Airman

Well... alright then.

16. HEXE9

HEXE9 Shootin' Fool

Just checked four of my 3rd GEN's and they all pretty much look like that.

As others have stated, the coating is very thin over the metal in that area
    and it is strictly cosmetic.

No worries. Shoot away!

17. Sniperfox

Sniperfox Kopfjaeger

It's the end of the world.:crying:

18. 1smoothredneck

1smoothredneck

My G27 looks just like the pic from OP. I don't like it, but it IS a Glock. I dunno
    if it was there from day one, I bought it new, but didn't inspect for this. Live and learn. Never a malfunction, and it has not gotten any bigger over several rounds. I'm glad I'm not alone.... Seems to be common.

19. cciman

cciman

My G26 is the same with metal exposed, thousands of rounds fired....

You will notice that it is only the surface of the plastic with the metal and the line texture. Whereas all around it, on the other side, the polymer is thickened and quite robust, as well as having the trigger guard on the under surface that prevents that area from flexing.

Doubt that yours is uniquely a problem. Happy shooting.

20. 9x45

9x45 Millennium Member

Clearly defective, it should look like this. On the other hand if it is still running good, who cares? But then this gun only has about 15,000 rounds thru it. Probably ready to crack any moment. When I get home I will take a picture of one of my G17's with close to 100,000 rounds thru it.

Attached Files: