G26/27 or G19/23 - help!!

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by Jsferrazza, Aug 10, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Jsferrazza

Jsferrazza

Hey Guys!

So I'm trying to decide on my next firearm purchase between a G26/27 or G19/23. I currently carry a G43 and love it, but am looking for something to serve as a good home defense and occasional CCW. My concerns with the 19/23 are that I live in Florida where it's always HOT and I'm a small guy (5'8" - 130lbs), so I tend to run into some challenges with concealing a larger gun. I used to have a G19 and enjoyed shooting it (should've never gottten rid of it). My father carries the 45acp baby glock as his off duty weapon and loves it. One of my thoughts is getting the 26/27, and then getting mag extensions for when it's being used for home defense...

Another thing is .40SW or 9mm. I currently only have 9mm pistols, and feel that it would be nice to diversify my calibers. I've heard both sides of this from people saying it's better to standardize your caliber and others say it's better to diversify it. I personally think it may be better to have more than one caliber (i.e. ammo shortage in one).

What are your thoughts? What should I get?

Thanks!

2. jbglock

jbglock Manos Arriba

23. I never understand anyone saying they can't conceal a 23 sized gun. Inside the waistband holster with a dark in color t-shirt one size larger than normal for you. Factor in a KKM 9mm conversion barrel. Then you have a 40cal gun if you want to shoot 40 and a 9mm gun that tracks better than a 19 due to the extra bit of weight out front from that thick walled barrel. Both 23 I converted worked perfect with only the barrel and a 9mm magazine.

Jsferrazza likes this.

3. Rocky7

Rocky7

What's wrong with the 43, does it not fit your hand? Do you shoot this platform well? Of what you are looking at, what have you shot or put in your hand?

By the way you refer to a 45 cal baby Glock, what model might that be?

Jsferrazza likes this.
  4. Jsferrazza

Jsferrazza

I love the G43. I have small hands so I don't have any issue with it fitting in the hand. I do shoot it well, but just want to get another Glock to go with it (not getting rid of the G43).

The .45 baby glock that I was referring to my dad carrying is the G36.

5. Buckshot Barry

Buckshot Barry

I would go for the 19. More versatile, especially if you ever want to do a little competition in the future. I learned the hard way about not having a grip as long as the width of my hand when changing mags under the clock.

nikolaz and Jsferrazza like this.
  6. Jsferrazza

Jsferrazza

Good point. I used to have a 19 and loved it. The size just somewhat concerns me for concealed carry. Then I start thinking about getting a .40sw to have more than one caliber on hand. Tuff decision!

7. jbglock

jbglock Manos Arriba

Refer to my post above. You can have a gun that shoots both at a much lower cost than buying both and functions perfect with either caliber. Knowing how a 19 is you'll also be surprise at how much better a 23 with a conversion barrel is at being a 9mm gun than a 19 is.

Jsferrazza likes this.
  8. Rocky7

Rocky7

I do not have the hands for the single stacks but with an undercut trigger guard I have (3) 26's left, with Pearce plus 2 pg39 extensions( 40 mags) I also have (3) 17's left and (1) 30s.

I prefer the 26/27/33 platform, I've had at one time all of them but now reload for just the 9mm and 44 mag. I will probably sell the 30s as well.

I'm 6-4" 235 and can carry pocket, smart carry or appendix. I believe in when you find something, keep buying it if it fits. Suggest you buy another 43 with more mags and get good at reloading and accuracy, no need to reinvent what already works for you. One shot between the eyes is all you need. After 45k rounds in three years of practice and competition head shots on ground hogs are the norm at 47 yards, you can do the same with the 43 if you want to bad enough.

gt joe and Jsferrazza like this.
  9. Jsferrazza

Jsferrazza

I love the idea! You mention extra weight on the 23, but per Glock's website the 19 and 23 weigh the same. Am I missing something?

10. J Lee

J Lee

26, probably because I just bought one this week and am blown away by how much I like it.. Have a 23 and gave my son my 19. The 19 is great but can't explain how I can shoot the 26 so much better. Not even going to start the 9 vs 40 thing but hard to dispute the test results of today's 9mm premium ammo, especially brands like Fed HST and Speer Gold Dot. Don't decide until you test drive a 26.

Jsferrazza likes this.
  11. jbglock

jbglock Manos Arriba

The 23 uses a larger diameter barrel than the 19. So a conversion barrel has the larger diameter that the 23 has with the smaller bore the 9mm round requires. You end up with a thick walled barrel. It's not a ton of extra weight and not something I doubt you'd notice carrying but it's extra weight exactly where I want it. Up front mainly towards the muzzle. My 23 with a KKM barrel tracks as fast as my 34.

Jsferrazza likes this.
  12. jbglock

jbglock Manos Arriba

Good post. You can also convert a 27 with KKM barrel but I can't speak to reliability of it as I haven't done that myself. If that interests you I'm sure others can address that.

13. First shot

First shot

I don't think that you can go wrong with any of them. I'm a big help huh.

14. gatorboy

gatorboy

I suggest the 23 and/or a single stack such as a Kahr, PPS, Shield, etc. The 27 is as thick and it weighs very close to what the 23 does. I live in Fl. also and have been carrying for 16 years. I carried a Kahr for a year or two and still do sometimes (P45), carried a Shield .40 for a year and now carry a PPS .40 most of the time. I still carry a 23 at night on dog walks. I have broad shoulders and a small waist so I can conceal a 20/21 sized pistol with just a T shirt but my lower back hurts after 3-4 hours especially if I'm moving around a lot which I usually am. A lighter, thinner pistol makes a big difference for me. Good luck.

Jsferrazza likes this.
  15. Jsferrazza

Jsferrazza

I love the 43 for a CCW, but want something with a little more capacity for a dual role of home defense and occasional CCW, which is why I'm looking at these models. The 19/23 seems big for me to conceal, but I've also mever tried to conceal one of them... A larger caliber with the 40sw is appealing too.

16. Jsferrazza

Jsferrazza

I like the shield and wouldn't completely discount it, but I think I'd prefer to stay with a Glock. I could definitely adjust to an M&P, but I grew up on a Glock, learned to shoot on a Glock, and am just so familiar with them.

17. J Lee

J Lee

You want the Glock. No adjustment needed.

gt joe and Jsferrazza like this.
  18. tango44

tango44

Here in sunny FL a G26 is a must have!
    Easy to conceal, great capacity and 9mm is always cheaper!

Jsferrazza likes this.
  19. Rocky7

Rocky7

Too many people are concerned with capacity and cannot shoot especially under duress. An extra mag or two in the pocket is very easy to conceal. Consider how many shots under what conditions, if you are yearning for something different or you are a collector I do understand.

Jsferrazza likes this.
  20. OBG17

OBG17

I'm also in Florida but I'm not a .40 aficionado so I went 19/26 then 30S/36 (I also have the FNS pair 9/9c). I have carried all six of them at different times, and still do, in a variety of holsters. But my most concealable guns are the G42 and Sig P230SL

I would recommend that you shoot the 19/26/23/27, if possible, and compare it to the 45 ACP. The 30/30SF/30S is step up in size/weight from your dad's 36, which I assume you have shot before. Then you can make an educated decision.

Good luck.

Jsferrazza likes this.