G23c vs G23

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by jwizzl497, Feb 21, 2010.

1. jwizzl497

jwizzl497

Looking to pick up a G23 and the only con I can think of would be the snappy recoil. So, I wanted to hear form those have shot both, the G23 and the G23c, to see if there is a reduction in recoil with the compensated model. Also, are there any disadvantages that come with the G23c? Thanks

2. MdMike

MdMike

While I have not shot the Compensated model 23, I do have, shoot regularly and carry daily my model 23.

While the recoil is a little "snappy" as you say it is quite controlled, as long as you have a good grip on the weapon.

Nothing at all to complain about my 23...Shoots to point of aim and has since the night sights were installed and is easily carried (IWB, on Belt or a shoulder rig).

3. cfamanager

cfamanager Guest

Love my 23 as well, either way you choose will be a good choice.

4. 4TS&W

4TS&W 2A RKBA 4EVER

go with both.. that's what I did!

5. rodg74

rodg74

I have both a G23 and a OD G23c. The non-ported model is the one I choose to carry. The 23c puts on quite a show when fired in low light conditions. While it looks really awesome, the flash from the ports do tend interfere with my sight picture more than the non-ported G23. To me, there's very little difference in recoil and muzzle rise between the two.

6. GLOCK MONSTER

GLOCK MONSTER Guest

i love my glock 23 . Feels real good when fired .

7. muzzletalk

muzzletalk

I'd go with the G23 vs. the G23c just for the reason rodg74 stated if this is a daily carry weapon. The recoil is snappy but very manageable.

8. ricky_arthur

ricky_arthur

Go with the G 23 I have the 23c and will have a non comp. bbl on it tomorrow when My lone wolf is delivered. My 15 Y.o. daughter shot my G23 last week it was her first time shooting a pistol. She wouldn't weigh 80 lbs if you filled her pockets with rocks but she made no complaint about the recoil.

Ricky

9. den888

den888

I use a Pachmayr Slip On grip for my G23 and it helps manage the grip better, thereby helping to control the pistol better.

10. MSBullock

MSBullock

Love my reg 23. Run all the ammo I can afford through her weekly, then I slap on the AA .22LR kit on her and shoot another couple hundred rounds. It's got a little kick to the .40 cal Nothing a little range time can't adjust you to. The 23 is my first gun, and I don't regret the decision one bit.

11. jack the toad.

jack the toad.

Not an expert but I've shot both and I prefer the non-comped.
    Having shot both models after dark and watched others shoot them after dark, the muzzle flash is about the same. Using what I feel was low flash ammo, the amount was the same while shooting but standing to side, the flash was more upward than outward with the C model.
    I don't feel like the .40 S&W needs comped and I don't like the additional noise put on the shooter.
    You might consider the C model and get an extra non-comp barrel just for giggles.

12. Bill Lumberg

Bill Lumberg BTF Inventor

There are no problems with the C models from flash, from firing from retention, etc. They are fine for duty or ccw use. That said, only more accomplished shooters will realize a benefit from the ported model.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2010
  13. Armed to the teeth!

Armed to the teeth!

G23 has my vote! You could always get a non compensated barrel for the G23c if you go that route.

14. hikerpaddler

hikerpaddler

C models, particularly .40S&W, aren't a bit louder to the shooter than non ported, nor is additional flash notable to the shooter with factory ammo. Fine, but like somebody said, it's a subtle thing, and most won't be at a level to tell much difference.

15. amsgator

amsgator

I'd stay away from the compensated unless you are only going to use it as a range gun. If you intend to carry it I would get the regular, otherwise you are going to have to deal with dirt, debris, clothing lent, etc getting into the porting and into the gun parts.

16. fifty2you

fifty2you Bad guy

i have the glock 23c and i picked up a factory 23 barrel so now i have both :tongueout::supergrin:

17. sixftunda

sixftunda

I routinely carry a G23C. About once a week I blow the dust out of the barrel but honestly I do that with my G26 when I carry it also and the 23C isn't any dirtier. I shoot Federal for target shooting and carry Hornady 180 gr. XTP. The muzzle flash has never affected my sight picture. What does happen with compensated models is the porting can strip the jacket off the bullet as it passes by and cause lead streaks in the barrel. I just soak it in Hoppes and scrub it good when it happens.
    I have Trijicon night sights on it and after 100-200 rounds the front sight gets covered in powder, but a quick wipe has her shining fine again.
    I wouldn't trade her for a non-comped model.

18. Ryobi

Ryobi SummertimeRules

Rediculous. The c models are no more prone to lint or anything else than a non ported model. Where did you get your information?

19. SDGlock23

SDGlock23 JABRONI AUTIST

As mentioned, one advantage of the G23c is that you can buy the factory non-ported barrel and slip in it and have a G23. You cannot put a factory ported barrel in the regular G23. That being said, I don't find the recoil of the G23 to be abusive or irritating in the least, but it is more than a 9mm and at times, even more than the .45. I have figured out, however, that the G23 is the PERFECT Glock!!

20. glock22357

glock22357 Got Ammo???

40 S&W is a loud, snappy round, and muzzle flash is all about what ammo you shoot, not wether it is a C model or not.

The C models are better for both self defense and recreational shooting.

In every self defense shooting scenario I have read about, one universal experience is that the shooter RODE their trigger hard. The adrenaline hit, and they dumped rounds as fast as they could pull the trigger. This is where C models really shine, as during fast firing the pistol stays flat, with very little muzzle rise. The importance of this cannot be over-stated.

Anyone that tries to tell you that there are visible flames shooting out of the ports and blinding them is full of s**t. Any pistol can have flash if cheap ammo is used, and good self defense ammo has next to no flash.

Shooting recreationally, the same attributes make accurate shooting easier. The pistol just stays flatter no matter what speed you are shooting at. Follow up shots are much faster as there is much less muzzle rise to deal with.

If you want to shoot competetively, and don't want to be all alone in your own class, then just get a 2nd non-ported barrel, and you're good to go.

There is so much internet b.s. about ported pistols that it's just stupid. There is NO logical reason to choose a non-ported pistol over a ported pistol. There is only MANY people that have no experience with ported pistols, and a severe lack of logic when it comes to this topic. It's basically just "I don't have a ported pistol, and have never shot one, so you shouldn't get one. Let me attempt to justify my position by spreading ignorant internet rumors, and telling you that you don't need a ported pistol because mine isn't ported and I don't think it's necessary."

Get the G23C, you'll love it.