Glock Talk banner

G23

4263 Views 44 Replies 34 Participants Last post by  1L26
I have a very good friend that is a former ATF agent. He lives in MS. so I don't get to visit him as much as I would like to. I also have a son that is 30 years old. Like dad, he has always chose S&W firearms over any other brand. There was that one time we both bought a Glock G17.4. I sold mine because I could not get comfortable with the grip ergonomics. He sold his to fund a new S&W FS 2.0 .40 cal.
Just recently my son and I went to my aforementioned friends house to shoot at his indoor range. Long story short, my son was shooting my friends Glock G23's, Gen 1-4. Now he wants one! He sold his M&P 2.0 .40 cal. to my friend. My friend also told him he can get him an almost excellent-very very good LE trade in G23 in either Gen 3 or 4. He has to decide. My friend explained the differences between the 3 & 4 to him, the Gen 4's extra mag., new RSA, etc. He advised my son to go with the Gen 4. But, here's the kicker; I "MIGHT" be buying one as well! At the prices my friend can get them at, I would be foolish NOT to get one. He's an FFL, so no fees.
Which Gen would "YOU" select, and why?
One more thing; Are you sitting down? He has a Class 3/SOT (?) license. He also owns a G18 AND a G18C! Those are some bad "BLEEP, BLEEP, BLEEP" guns!!!!!! :alex:
Reactions: james Garrison
41 - 45 of 45 Posts

· " Fast is fine but, accuracy is everything"
1,221 Posts
My vote is Gen 3. It is proven reliable and no spring, trigger issues. As I recall there were a lot of issues with some Gen 4 Glocks. They have all been worked out by now for sure. Point is if you have a connection buy it. Parts are cheap. You can’t go wrong with Gen 3 or 4. Good luck!
I have a very good friend that is a former ATF agent. He lives in MS. so I don't get to visit him as much as I would like to. I also have a son that is 30 years old. Like dad, he has always chose S&W firearms over any other brand. There was that one time we both bought a Glock G17.4. I sold mine because I could not get comfortable with the grip ergonomics. He sold his to fund a new S&W FS 2.0 .40 cal.
Just recently my son and I went to my aforementioned friends house to shoot at his indoor range. Long story short, my son was shooting my friends Glock G23's, Gen 1-4. Now he wants one! He sold his M&P 2.0 .40 cal. to my friend. My friend also told him he can get him an almost excellent-very very good LE trade in G23 in either Gen 3 or 4. He has to decide. My friend explained the differences between the 3 & 4 to him, the Gen 4's extra mag., new RSA, etc. He advised my son to go with the Gen 4. But, here's the kicker; I "MIGHT" be buying one as well! At the prices my friend can get them at, I would be foolish NOT to get one. He's an FFL, so no fees.
Which Gen would "YOU" select, and why?
One more thing; Are you sitting down? He has a Class 3/SOT (?) license. He also owns a G18 AND a G18C! Those are some bad "BLEEP, BLEEP, BLEEP" guns!!!!!! :alex:

· Lone Star of Texas
195 Posts
I was never cool with the addition of extra parts of the gen 4s. Gen 3 and older for me. It wasn't broken so there was no need to fix it. My G23 is well used gen 2.
...your ex-ATF buddy has a G18 and G18C! Imagine that..
View attachment 373422
The older G23s were "broken" in the sense that I'm a leftie and I like the gen 4 ability to switch the mag release to the other side, so that it isn't a two-hand operation for me any more. Just in case a guy has to reload in a hurry if 15 rounds (G22 mags) aren't enough. I live in a rough area; the LEOs have to carry a lot more evidence markers nowadays if they want to log the positions of all the spent brass.

· Registered
442 Posts
I've lost count on all the posts I have made extolling the virtues of the G23. I carried it for years on the cop job while I was assigned to plainclothes or investigative squads. Dead-nuts reliable, easy to carry due to its light weight and packs a punch due to the .40 caliber round. I love all things Glock, but I must say that I have a particular affinity for the 23. Served me well...

· Registered
6,767 Posts
Back in the day, my duty gun was a G23 Gen 2, I carried it off duty too. Great all around gun. Never gave me a hint of trouble. I still have it to this day and it will be here long after I'm gone!

Reactions: 10or45 and JFK40
41 - 45 of 45 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.