Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Banned
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a very good friend that is a former ATF agent. He lives in MS. so I don't get to visit him as much as I would like to. I also have a son that is 30 years old. Like dad, he has always chose S&W firearms over any other brand. There was that one time we both bought a Glock G17.4. I sold mine because I could not get comfortable with the grip ergonomics. He sold his to fund a new S&W FS 2.0 .40 cal.
Just recently my son and I went to my aforementioned friends house to shoot at his indoor range. Long story short, my son was shooting my friends Glock G23's, Gen 1-4. Now he wants one! He sold his M&P 2.0 .40 cal. to my friend. My friend also told him he can get him an almost excellent-very very good LE trade in G23 in either Gen 3 or 4. He has to decide. My friend explained the differences between the 3 & 4 to him, the Gen 4's extra mag., new RSA, etc. He advised my son to go with the Gen 4. But, here's the kicker; I "MIGHT" be buying one as well! At the prices my friend can get them at, I would be foolish NOT to get one. He's an FFL, so no fees.
Which Gen would "YOU" select, and why?
One more thing; Are you sitting down? He has a Class 3/SOT (?) license. He also owns a G18 AND a G18C! Those are some bad "BLEEP, BLEEP, BLEEP" guns!!!!!! :alex:

·
Registered
420 Posts
Go with the one that feels best in your hands. The Gen 4 probably has the better RSA design for .40. I have a Gen 3 purchased in 1999 and it runs fine. I like to run recoil buffers in my glocks; there are buffers out there for Gen 3s, but I haven't found any yet for the Gen 4.

·
Banned
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Go with the one that feels best in your hands. The Gen 4 probably has the better RSA design for .40. I have a Gen 3 purchased in 1999 and it runs fine. I like to run recoil buffers in my glocks; there are buffers out there for Gen 3s, but I haven't found any yet for the Gen 4.
I might just go with the Gen 4 and remove the finger groove high points.

·
Registered
10,601 Posts
My best all around Glock is my 2nd gen G-23, I don't like the finger grooves on the agenda 3-4 mid size Glocks.

I own the G-42 through G-22 .380/9mm/.40 series Glocks (mini to full size) and if I was limited to just one, I would have to chose that G-23.

·
Registered
988 Posts
Call me weird, but my G23(3) carry is my favorite of all my weapons. I have a G19(4) that too is nice, but I shoot the .40 better than the Gen4 19. Go figure.

I have thousands of rounds through my G23 without a single hiccup. Other than sights, mag release and slide-lock, all else is original OE. Very dependable.

Enjoy

·
180 Grain
157 Posts
I'll have to agree with cadillacguns, and I personally enjoy shooting Gen 2 Glock 23's the best (I own 3 of them!). And, out of all of my Glocks, there's one of my Gen 2 G23's that's an absolute TACK DRIVER.....love shooting that gun :)!

Our home defense gun is a Gen 3 G23 with factory Glock Meprolight night sights, and an extended slide release. Here's the wife in action with it last week, 3 yd group, 10 rds, 180 grain JHP :cool:!
Eyewear Vision care Glasses Outerwear Jacket

Either way you go, it's pretty hard to go wrong with a G23...;) :D

·
Banned
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Gen 4. The grip texture is better and the mag release is easier to manipulate. Really can't go wrong with either. I just prefer the Gen 4.
You know, you just could be correct. But, in addition to what you stated, I think the finger grooves are what my problem was when I owned the G17.4. I'm going to stop by my local gun range and ask to handle a Gen 5 pistol and a Gen 4 pistol. I will take note how my fingers are positioned on the Gen 4 finger grooves.
Now I wish I had handled my friends Gen 1 & 2 pistols.

·
Registered
2,815 Posts
In the 19/23 size, I prefer the gen2 because of no finger bumps.
With the larger size, 17/22 21/20 the gen3.
I have never fired a gen4 or gen5
I am looking for a good used gen3 G-26.

·
Registered
414 Posts
I get slide bite from Glocks and Gen 3 19/23 causes it more so than Gen 4 w/o backstraps. I shoot slightly better groups with the regular grip (gen 3 or 4 w/med backstrap) but running and gunning out of the holster the Gen 4 w/o backstraps is better for me. Can't go wrong with Gen 4.

·
Registered
3,786 Posts
All form of the G23 fit my hand like they were made for it.
The Gen 4 with it's rougher texture and finger grooves goes right where it's supposed to be and stays there.
It's also accurate (from the bench) and has been 100% reliable.

·
Registered
8,854 Posts
I love my Glocks. But honestly their grip ergos fall woefully short when compared to a striker S&W or Walther. Someday - prolly 30 years from now - Glock will incorporate a grip made to the contours of the human hand. And it will look like what Walther is doing today.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Yes, the Glocks do not always fit the hand great in the gun shop. It's when you get to the firing range and actually shoot them when you see why they're so popular.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts