close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

G23

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by cwtitan, Mar 1, 2010.

1. cwtitan

cwtitan

Picking up a PD trade in G23 (2nd Gen) this morning and was wondering what if anything should be done prior to carry duties. (I had read about some replacing the recoil spring) Most of the other glocks I own were bought new or like new. This is the 1st that has any real age to it. Looks to be in 85% or so. Plan on this one sharing CC duty along with the G38. Thanks in advance.

2. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

Clean it and look it over to make sure nothing is broken. Maybe replace the recoil spring with a fresh one, since a weak recoil spring can beat up your gun. I'd definitely detail strip it and clean ever part.

3. cwtitan

cwtitan

I just got home with it. In the parking lot of the shop I recognized a broken trigger spring. They provided me with a new one. I just finished replacing it. Guess I will order me a recoil spring and call it a day.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2010
  4. GLOCK MONSTER

GLOCK MONSTER

TRUST ME ON THIS. I RENTED A STOCK GLOCK 23 IT FELT PRETTY GOOD . BUT WHEN I PURCHASED MY USED GLOCK 23 THE FOLLOWING WEEK IT WAS MOD OUT FROM A STEEL GUIDEROD , TRIGGER JOB WAS DONE 2 IT AND OOOOOOOOOWEEEEEEEE ! IT FELT WAY WAY WAY BETTER THEN THE STOCK VERSION . YUP SHE MY LIL "WORKHORSE" NOW :supergrin:

5. cadillacguns

cadillacguns Millennium Member

I got one a couple weeks ago, rear night sight was way over to one side and it was dirty / dusty, tapped the 03 trijicon back to center, took it apart, cleaned it, looks 95% brand new, hardly any wear anywhere. Not bad for a BKG prefix of 1995.

6. cwtitan

cwtitan

Yeah this one is prob 85-90% night sights, 3 13 rd mags for 325+tax=350 OTD. hard to turn down.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2010
  7. glock2740

glock2740 Gun lover.

Good advice and congrats to the OP.

8. DWARREN123

DWARREN123 Grumpy Old Guy

Field strip, inspect/clean and shoot it if you have a problem then reinspect.
    Probably run for a long time with no parts replaced.

9. den888

den888

I would strip, clean and then test shoot several hundred rounds through it.

10. 1234Havasu

1234Havasu

If you're concerned the recoil spring may not be up to snuff, point the gun straight up, pull back just a bit on the slide and let go. The slide should return to battery. If it does not, Glock recommends you replace the spring.

Many owners have the original spring in after 10 or 20K rounds with no problems.

11. pilot5131

pilot5131

Now that's something I'll remember. Thanks for the tip!

12. Rayden

Rayden

I am sorry but you are trying to save $150 by getting a police trade in that you don't know what can be wrong with it before and not having confidence with it, and want to use it for CC duty? Do you really think it is wise? :whistling:

By the time you spend the time and $$$ to make sure you have confidence in it, you might as well have bought a new one :upeyes:

13. kirgi08

kirgi08 Watcher. Silver Member

The G23 is my favorite Glock,enjoy.'08.

14. Run&Shoot

Run&Shoot

All of the used police trade mags I've got with my two police trade in G23s had weak mag springs. So I would at least compare the mag spring lengths to new mag springs and replace if they are noticeably shorter. I had feeding problems with those mags.

I always replace the recoil springs because I have no idea how much it had been used and they are dirt cheap. I would detail strip it to check all the pins and springs just to make sure. Also a good time to deep clean all parts and lube them properly.

I never found a problem with my used Glocks (G19, G22, and two G23) except the mag springs. I love buying used Glocks because they rarely have anything wrong and if they do it is way cheap to replace parts.

15. Ryobi

Ryobi SummertimeRules

She my lil. Aftermarket steel capslock.

16. gusbuster

gusbuster

ck1
    Some Dude

[​IMG]

Unloaded and safe, dry-fire it, and then while holding back the trigger point it straight up at the ceiling and pull the slide all the way back and don't let go, then, while holding on to it release it slowly letting the slide close itself under it's own power while still holding the trigger back... if it locks up into battery you're good, if not, you need a new recoil spring that will lock it up.
    Glocks, due to their design, can pull themselves out-of-battery and fire that way if the striker spring is strong enough to over-power the recoil spring, and that would be bad, so check it now and again and you'll be fine (if you're dry-firing and you notice the slide "bouncing" or moving too much as the trigger breaks it's probably time for a quick test).
    A stock recoil assembly can usually last at least 3000 rounds at the minimum and who knows (100,000rds?) at the maximum, no need to change it unless it fails the test or you just feel like it, as it's a mechanical device and it has no idea and doesn't care how long it's been or how many rounds you've fired, not all springs are born the same, some last months and very few rounds, some go thousands and last decades.

17. sgtlmj

sgtlmj NRA Life Member Millennium Member

Yup. It's a Glock. New recoil assemblies are about $7. Mag springs around $6. Easily worth it to buy a used PD Glock and replace a few springs, especially because they were probably only shot 2x a year for 100rds or so. The only issues are holster wear, and maybe a slightly dinged up grip from hitting the center console in the cruiser.