close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

G23 with TLR1

Discussion in 'Sights, Optics and Lasers' started by cajunhunter, Apr 8, 2010.

1. cajunhunter

cajunhunter

Just ordered my G27 and got a TLR1 light for my G23. I have heard of some issues with Lights and G23. My G23 is Stock other than night sights. I fired several mags thru looking for failures. I had one feed that seemed like a problem but it did actually feed other than that nothing. I plan on shooting it somemore with light. What precautions should I take with g23 to avoid in malfunctions. i.e. check mags, change springs. Please give me some specifics. Thanks

2. MaximaDrvr

MaximaDrvr

some have problems, some don't. It also depends (for me) how tight I attach the TLR-1 to my G23. A stronger mag spring fixes the problem if you have one.

3. cajunhunter

cajunhunter

Thanks, I was hoping if it were a problem that I could solve it with a simple solution.

4. faawrenchbndr

faawrenchbndr CLM

Simple solution is to buy a polymer constructed light. They flex with the frame.
    The TLR-1 solidle clamps to the frame, changing the harmonics in the frame, thus causing the malfunctions.

Strange he it does not happen to everyone and every Glock.
    I've never head of this problem with ANY polymer tac light.

5. cajunhunter

cajunhunter

Yea, I am going to keep shooting it. See what happens.

6. RayB

RayB Retired Member

All the Glock + Weapon Light malfunctions I've read about involve the G22 and G23; and while these reports are not uncommon, they're not exactly the norm either.

In addition to MaximaDrvr's comments, I'd experiment with practice and carry ammos until I arrived at at least a 300/300 shot reliability from the same shipment of ammos.

If there are any issues, put tape on each magazine and mark that tape each time there is a malfunction. We did this with my wife's new G19, SureFire X200B and LaserMax rig, and lo and behold, all the issues were with one of five new magazines. We exchanged the bad mag, and have had zero issues since.

Also, you can save a lot of wear and tear on the light by taping it up before practice. I use blue masking tape. ;)

Have at it! :thumbsup:

Let us know how it goes! :wavey:

--Ray

7. AR-Black

AR-Black

Had a Glock 22 that would not function 100% with a light - tried different ammo, mags, springs, etc. Gave up and sold it.

Bought another new G-22 and have a TLR-1 on it (below). 1500+ rounds and no malfunctions. Shot it alot with the light on it, be sure to clean the lens afterward (or use blue tape as noted above- good idea Ray!).

I also have marked all my mags on the floorplate with an engraved number. One was unreliable until I replaced the internals - got to keep track of these things....

And a G-24 (below) with the same light for your reference. I have a few brand new G-24 for sale in the Firearm Listings.

John
    G-22
    [​IMG]

G-24
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 9, 2010
  8. Glock212327

Glock212327

Ive had problems with my G23 jamming with my TRL-1 on but i got the newer mags and the problem went away. Number 6 followers work as well. Best thing to do is one don't over tighten the light that causes problems. just go out and shoot it and see what it does. Good Luck!!!

Last edited: Apr 11, 2010
  9. cajunhunter

cajunhunter

Shot with the light on today, First Round carry ammo Win Ranger T-Series 180gr. Had 1 failure to cycle. It was boom, and then click. Dropped the mag, cycle and no shell. Hmmmm. Then next was a Failure to load, got stuck in the mag. Both in same mag. Shot another mag full of range ammo no problems. Prior to this I shot both range and practice with no malfunctions, but now I do. All of my mags have 1 on them. Where do I get the heavier springs to solve this issue?

10. cajunhunter

cajunhunter

I contacted glock and they told me to ship my mags to them. We will see how long and what happens after that. They also told me that loaded mags should only stay loaded for 1-2 weeks. Not sure how that works out for my Home Defense guns.

11. Bill Lumberg

Bill Lumberg BTF Inventor

My department uses 23's and 22's of varying ages (all 3rd gen). Huge round count. Every one with a tlr-1 attached. Never a single malfunction related to the light.