close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

G23 vs Walther PPS .40sw

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by superjew, Mar 14, 2012.

Tags:
  1. superjew

superjew

How does the Walther compare to the Glock 23 as far as shooting and fit? My buddy is trying to give me one as payment for a debt he owes me.

2. Roger1079

Roger1079

I have a Walther PPS in 9mm, manufactured in mid 2009. For the first 250 or so rounds, I had quite a few issues ranging from light primer strikes to FTE's to FTF's. Basically, I experienced nearly every possible malfunction short of a stovepipe. These malfunctions occured at least once a mag.

I tried different ammo and different magazines and nothing made a difference. I called Walther and was basically told to take it to the range and put a few hundred rounds through it. If that didn't resolve the issue, I would need to send it back. Right around that number, I came across a site that spoke about feeding and ejecting issues. The instructions were to polish a few parts on the underside of the slide.

Not sure what made the difference, but I haven't had an issue since and have put another 500 rounds through it. Probably a combination of both.

Glock has honestly set the bar high for me. I am used to buying a brand new gun, walking onto the range without even cleaning the factory lubricant off of it and being able to go hundreds of rounds flawlessly. Definitely not used to the break in period.

Also, I would get the serial number from your buddy and call Walther. A good amount of their first run PPS's were prone to the slide stop spring breaking and jamming the slide shut making the gun unusable. This issue has been worked out in the later models, and a recall was issued for the ones with problems.

Long story short, now that I have gotten the bugs worked out with it, I love it and if you can afford to forego the cash and take the pistol, I would. Hope my input was helpful.

3. superjew

superjew

How is the size on the pps for carrying? How does the size compare to the G23?

4. 153

The PPS is closer to the 26/27 pistols than the 23.

The PPS grip is short like the 27, but very thin. That makes it harder to control, and while it's an accurate pistol - for me it's just too skinney a pistol to shoot easily.

I purchased a PPS and after shooting it some, took another look at the 26/27 platform. The PPS got me used to the shorter handle of the Glock, and I found the Glock much better to hold and shoot.

Bottom line the Glock is way more shootable anf formidible than the Walther. My PPS is reliable, but I just lost all interest in it after handling and shooting the Glock.

The Walther is way to complicated a design compared to the Glock. The PPS is not easy at all to dismount to the smallest piece like the Glock and Walther added an idiotic, worthless and generally fragile removable backstrap that supposedly serves as a safety/takedown feature. The backstrap alone is a good reason to avoid this pistol and get the real article ..... a Glock!

5. dhoomonyou

dhoomonyou

HOw much does he owe you?

i need numbers $$ before i can offer an opinion.