close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

G23 or G38, I can't decide.

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by RBL525, Jan 15, 2010.

1. RBL525

RBL525

I currently own 2 G19's. They fit my hand great. I was looking at getting a larger caliber to vary my choices a little. I plan on using the G19 for my CC due the fact that I can carry more rounds in less space.

The purchase i am looking at is the G23 or G38. The specs look like they should be the same grip I already love, and the larger caliber i want to have available. I have stockpiled enough 9mm for now, and need a new caliber to purchase.....

I thought about a 45 Auto, but really don't think it will fit my hands well.

I had actually made up my mind on the G38, but after doing some reading, the 40 cal put me back on the fence.

any input on what you prefer and why?

Thanks

2. Officer's Match

Officer's Match S.R.D. v

G38 for sure for me. My first Glock was a 23 - I now own four G38's. They shoot that good. Try one, and I think you'll be convinced.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. New23

New23

Why do you prefer the G38 over the G23?

4. G-Lock808

G-Lock808

those beveled slides on the 38 are sweet.

5. Officer's Match

Officer's Match S.R.D. v

Simple. Much more fun to shoot, and much easier to shoot well. While I can place my shots fairly well with the 23, I do it that much easier with the 38. That's gotta' be a good thing under stressful encounters. 9+1 of 200gr Gold Dots or 230gr HST comforts me just fine.

I can't stress enough how much a side by side comparison is in order - I did.

6. RBL525

RBL525

what makes the difference? is it the lower pressure load, or easier to fire multiple shots?

7. racegunner

racegunner

Research ammo availability between the 45GAP and .40.

8. Officer's Match

Officer's Match S.R.D. v

Faster followups, but more accurate too. I believe the G38 to be the most accurate Glock. Octagonal barrel rifling maybe? I dunno', but I likes it. :cool:

As for ammo, I do have a tough time deciding between what's in my safe, the 200gr Gold Dots, the 185gr Gold Dots, the 230gr HST, the 230gr Golden Sabre Bonded, the MagTech, the 230gr JHP UMC, the 230gr JHP WWB, the 230gr FMJ WWB, the 230gr FMJ Speer Lawman, the 230gr FMJ American Eagle or the 230gr Hydrashock. To be fair, I did buy the Golden Sabre Bonded and the 200gr Gold Dots online due to the irresistible prices - the rest local.

Even if I did have to order my ammo, I would gladly do so to fire the round I believe is the best choice for me. And I think Wally World will survive without me.

9. RBL525

RBL525

I have, but I am more worried about finding the right Glock. Plus, how can the GAP round take off if nobody buys it..... I can look harder to support the cause. :)

The plus side of the G23 for me
    higher capacity magazine
    higher velocity
    readily available ammo
    fits in my existing holsters
    cheaper to shoot

The plus side of the G38 for me
    Larger caliber and bigger hole
    45 that fits my hand
    All research points to very accurate and easy to use
    seems to be an upgrade to the 45 acp (less space and more efficient round)
    I trust this round more if I am hiking or camping and encounter unfriendly animals.

They both have their advantages, and I am sure i will have both someday, but I only buy 2 a year, and I get them in pairs.

10. CharlestonG26

CharlestonG26

For me...this was a very easy decision. I bought the G23.

11. Officer's Match

Officer's Match S.R.D. v

That seems to be the gist of it in your example. Since you own the 19 already, I don't particularly see that much of a gain with the 23, whereas the 38 really is a different animal. OTOH, if you replaced your 19's with 23's, that would make more sense. But if you're adding to the collection, I'd think the GAP makes sense. But not nearly as much sense as shooting it does.

12. RBL525

RBL525

The 19's are here to stay, they are consecutive serial numbers, and austrian proofed.

I buy in twos so i can teach my two sons and pass them on someday.

13. Officer's Match

Officer's Match S.R.D. v

Very cool. I bought three G38's at the same time last year for similar reasons.

[​IMG]

14. dc2integra

dc2integra

i have a ? i own a g23 and i really like the size is the g38 exactly the same frame wise

15. RBL525

RBL525

according to Glocks website, they are almost identical frame size. There is a very slight difference in weight IIRC

16. Sklee

Sklee

Good question, I was about to post the same question but was beat to it. I am also in the predicament of picking a 23 or a 38. And am also waiting for the Gen 4's.

17. "Cold Dead Hands" !

"Cold Dead Hands" !

I don't see what you gain, by buying a G38 ?
    .45 GAP ammo will scarce & expensive for years.

18. Thx-1138

Thx-1138 NRA Member

Plenty of choices for GAP ammo. Don't worry about that.

Prices are about the same as ACP. This hasn't changed much in the past two years.

You won't find it at wally world. I can find it at other gun shops and online.

I don't know why the GAPS shoot so well - soft recoil, accurate. Maybe it's some magical confluence of heavier slide, octogonal rifling, and the blessings of Gaston.

19. RBL525

RBL525

[QUOTE="Cold Dead Hands" !;14554497]I don't see what you gain, by buying a G38 ?
    .45 GAP ammo will scarce & expensive for years.[/QUOTE]

I have always found that I personally prefer quality over cost. I am not rich, but i budget for a few toys. I would rather spend more for one i love to shoot and shoot it less than pay less and get one i like to shoot.

I love my G19's and can shoot those when i have the itch if money is tight.

But when it comes down to it, i want something i can shoot accurately, and love shooting. I will probably end up with both over a couple years. I just can't decide between the 40 and the 45 gap for the next purchase. I can't find anything but great things about the 45 gap. the only downside is ammo, but the realistic side of that is with the smaller magazines, i am not going to shoot as many rounds as I would the 9mm or the 40.

I currently go and have 6 magazines for my 9mm. i usually get through those 2 to 3 times. I think it would be the same with the 45 GAP. so instead of 200 to 250 rounds a trip, it will be 100 to 125. the rounds cost twice as much, but i will shoot half as many. I don't like to spend that much time reloading at the range.

One of the big things for me is bullet speed. i like the compact models, and everything i have found says supersonic rounds work better with shorter barrels, but the reviews of the 45 GAP are unbelievably good. I don't know which way to go.

20. thegriz18

thegriz18 Paper Killer

You mentioned woods carry. IMO the G38 is a poor choice for this. If you buy the G23 you can find 200 grain GDHP from Speer and Double Tap. Those loads will be slightly slower than the 45 GAP loads, but will have a greater sectional density, possibly resulting in more penetration. Also, you lose 5 rounds with the GAP. I've thought about this same issue too. I've had a G23 for the past 6 years that is my go to pistol for everything. I love it. However, that 200 grain 45 GAP load is tempting. In the end I decided that the performance difference between the two calibers wasn't great enough to switch when considering the need for new holsters and 5 less rounds in the magazine.