Glock Talk banner
21 - 40 of 46 Posts
Discussion starter · #22 ·
Well folks, despite my last post, I ended up getting the G23. Mainly because that's what I could find in Gen 4 and I was eager to buy. I probably won't have a chance to get to the range until Friday but I can hardly wait. I've rented a G23 several times (not sure what Gen but not a 4) so it will be interesting to see how much this differs. Now for all the accessories.

Good choice. I really like my gen4 G23 and while I have a 357 Sig barrel for it, I rarely shoot it. Both are great cartridges, but I prefer the .40 as a whole.

I'm new to handguns but I love my 23. Originally was looking at a 26 but the 23 popped up and I couldn't pass it up. I wasn't even aware of the versatility at the time. I can't think of one reason to question my purchase of the 23, it rocks.

I've shot my glock 23 19 and a buddies Glock 20 inside my home through my back door(nothing was in the direction the rounds were traveling) periodically just to see how loud they were with no hearing protection to simulate a HD situation.(assuming you don't have ear plugs next to you're nightstand gun lol) and yes it was pretty god dam loud to say the least but after a couple hours my hearing was normal. BUT, in a real HD scenario you don't really have a choice now do you?

23 by far. That said, you can't tell much difference between .40 and .357 sig without hearing protection. Both are louder than your ears can handle.
I'm getting very close to buying my first (most likely only) handgun. I've settled on the compact size versus full size or sub-compact. I'm drawn to the Gen 4 Glock 23 or 32 because of the ability to convert to two other calibers. I really like the idea of having that versatility. In either case I would get a 9mm conversion barrel and mags and primarily shoot that at the range and use the other caliber for SD. I've shot both 9mm and 40 S&W in Glocks so I know how they handle and I shoot roughly the same with both. I've never shot .357 SIG but I like what I've read about it. I know the ammo is quite expensive but if its only for SD, I won't be shooting tons of it. (I understand the need to run a few hundred rounds through a new gun to establish reliability, to spend some range time with your SD ammo and to routinely rotate through existing SD ammo.) Actually my biggest concern with .357 SIG is if I ever have to fire it without ear protection in a SD situation. From what I've read, it's quite a bit louder than other rounds and I'm wondering if I'd suffer permanent hearing damage. I'm also curious about recoil although I've read posts claiming it's no worse, or possibly less than, 40 S&W. I'd appreciate some confirmation of that.

23 by far. That said, you can't tell much difference between .40 and .357 sig without hearing protection. Both are louder than your ears can handle.
First post on the forum, this one just grabbed my attention.
How many of you have shot a big game animal? I noticed when you are "adrenalized" and excited, you don't even notice the recoil of a high power rifle, or notice the sound, but when you shoot the same rifle in practice, w/o plugs (not recommended) it is freaking LOUD! and recoil can be sharp!

I imagine the same thing happens in a SD situation. When the adrenaline is up, you won't even notice how loud the cartridge is. What's more important than the noise level is being able to deliver accurate fire, so get which ever one you will be able to shoot the best, and practice!

I'm thinking about the same.

Are the springs the same in the g23 and g32? Are the barrel and mags the only the difference?(i understand the mags have minor diff and will work in one another)

I ask this because if its the only difference is the barrel, then even if my primary caliber were to be the .357, I'd get the 23 and upgrade to a premium LW barrel for the .357.

First post on the forum, this one just grabbed my attention.
How many of you have shot a big game animal? I noticed when you are "adrenalized" and excited, you don't even notice the recoil of a high power rifle, or notice the sound, but when you shoot the same rifle in practice, w/o plugs (not recommended) it is freaking LOUD! and recoil can be sharp!

I imagine the same thing happens in a SD situation. When the adrenaline is up, you won't even notice how loud the cartridge is. What's more important than the noise level is being able to deliver accurate fire, so get which ever one you will be able to shoot the best, and practice!
I have often wondered the same. I have shot a few deer with magnum calibers(270wby, 300RUM) which are very loud and my ears(no hearing protection) weren't hurting in the slightest!

I bought a 32 C earlier this week . My thought was I can buy a 40 and 9 mm and shoot reloads . I didn't plan on reloading the 357 so I wanted the factory barrel in 357. Plus I believe it is a excellent self defence cartridge and some say the factory barells do feed a little better than aftermarket with the tighter chambers .

Discussion starter · #37 ·
I put the first 50 rounds through my new Gen 4 Glock 23 yesterday and I am quite happy with it. At first I was hitting a little high but once I got used to it, I managed to put 8 out of my first 25 rounds through the one inch bulls eye at 10 yards. It's been several weeks since I had rented a non Gen 4 G23 so it's hard to compare but I hardly even noticed any recoil. No brass to the head except one that I'm pretty sure bounced off the side of the shooting stall.

Well folks, despite my last post, I ended up getting the G23. Mainly because that's what I could find in Gen 4 and I was eager to buy. I probably won't have a chance to get to the range until Friday but I can hardly wait. I've rented a G23 several times (not sure what Gen but not a 4) so it will be interesting to see how much this differs. Now for all the accessories.
You can always buy a Glock G32 barrel. I think theyre still $125. That's all you'd need, as the ammo fits in the 23 mags.

ACCESSORIES??? (see below) :tongueout: :welcome:

21 - 40 of 46 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.