Glock Talk banner

G23 or G32

7K views 45 replies 37 participants last post by  blackbmw 
#1 ·
I'm getting very close to buying my first (most likely only) handgun. I've settled on the compact size versus full size or sub-compact. I'm drawn to the Gen 4 Glock 23 or 32 because of the ability to convert to two other calibers. I really like the idea of having that versatility. In either case I would get a 9mm conversion barrel and mags and primarily shoot that at the range and use the other caliber for SD. I've shot both 9mm and 40 S&W in Glocks so I know how they handle and I shoot roughly the same with both. I've never shot .357 SIG but I like what I've read about it. I know the ammo is quite expensive but if its only for SD, I won't be shooting tons of it. (I understand the need to run a few hundred rounds through a new gun to establish reliability, to spend some range time with your SD ammo and to routinely rotate through existing SD ammo.) Actually my biggest concern with .357 SIG is if I ever have to fire it without ear protection in a SD situation. From what I've read, it's quite a bit louder than other rounds and I'm wondering if I'd suffer permanent hearing damage. I'm also curious about recoil although I've read posts claiming it's no worse, or possibly less than, 40 S&W. I'd appreciate some confirmation of that.

#2 · (Edited)
I have a G23 and a KKM barrel in .357 SIG. I have switched to 100% .357 SIG. Both calibers have been flawless through my G23, with 2200 rounds so far (50/50 split).

Since the guns are identical, it really makes no difference as far as mechanics. In my case since I have grown so fond of the .357 SIG, I sorta wish I had bought a G32 just to have .357 SIG on the slide. On the other hand, if you decide to resell at some point, a G23 will be easier to sell and likely fetch a higher price.

For your stated purposes, I'd recommend going with a G23 based on the resell advantage.

Btw, I think a G23 is the best all around handgun, especially if it is going to be your only handgun. There is none more versatile!

#3 · (Edited)
I have both, and really like both thus far(just picked up the 32 a few weeks ago). As Markel states above, for the sake of resale value alone I would probably get the 23 and pick up a KKM barrel in .357 SIG.

#4 ·
40 has more muzzle flip... 357 is snappier but not in a bad way... yes 357 is louder but if I lose my hearing in a sd situation then I'm not too concerned about it... then again, I don't take life super seriously like a lot of people...

posted from my phone while doing 90 down the highway...

#8 ·
Just gonna throw this out there from a reloaders perspective.

I have a G31 in 357 SIG with an aftermarket barrel in 40 S&W and a 9mm conversion barrel.

I reload for each caliber, for 9mm I load light loads with cast bullets for range practice and all around fun shooting. In 40 S&W, I ramp it up but still use cast bullets, this way I get a feel for SD ammo recoil. In 357 SIG, full power reloads with a jacketed bullet duplicating SD ammo, you really don’t want to run a cast bullet in a stock Glock barrel at 357 SIG velocities. This all works for me because I reload and have no real worries about what or what isn’t on the shelf of ammo retailers and can practice with whatever ammo I like.

I decided on 357 SIG as my SD round and would suggest that you decide on which caliber you plan on carrying with and keep your Glock stock in that caliber, then get whatever caliber barrel you like to save on cost for practice ammo.

Just my $0.02 worth

Sig357fan

#9 ·
Skip the g23 and go right to the g32. Trust me you won't regret it and you will never buy a 40 barrel cause you will love 357sig so much. I bought a gen4 g32 with some of the same things in mind and haven't even given 40 a second look. If you buy a g23 you will always want to get a 357 barrel just to try it out. Then you will have a 40 barrel that you will never use and you will be saying" just should have bought the g32".

#10 ·
My first ever Glock purchase was the G23. Just picked it up today (3 day waiting period here in FL). We took it to the range this afternoon and put 100 rounds through it. It was freakin awesome!

Felt great in my hand. Shot straight as an arrow. I couldn't be happier. Even my wife (5' 2") shot 20 rounds and loved it!

#12 ·
They're both Glocks, so you really can't go wrong either way. You can have both calibers (.357sig and .40S&W) in either pistol, so it pretty much just boils down to what you want stamped on the slide.

I was recently looking to get into .357 Sig. I decided to buy used rather than new, and was looking for a 33. Found one that also included a lone wolf .40S&W barrel. I like the smaller profile of the 33.

If you're also looking to have a 9mm conversion barrel, I'd also suggest that you consider replacing a couple other internal parts just to make it more reliable. A 9mm recoil spring, and 9mm ejector could prove helpful.

#17 ·
Many now can say that the .357sig is just an awesome! Just look at how many Mel/LE are using it. It's track record just gets better! I just love my G32 it's my main ccw! Out of all my hand guns 9mm,40's & 45 the 357sig rules!

#18 ·
Skip the g23 and go right to the g32. Trust me you won't regret it and you will never buy a 40 barrel cause you will love 357sig so much. I bought a gen4 g32 with some of the same things in mind and haven't even given 40 a second look. If you buy a g23 you will always want to get a 357 barrel just to try it out. Then you will have a 40 barrel that you will never use and you will be saying" just should have bought the g32".
+1. Agreed because it happened to me just like that! Still, if you aren't sure, resale of a G23 is easier. Most people just ain't as edgeumucated as you and I!

#19 ·
I'd get whichever you can find the cheapest. You might be able to talk down the price of a 32 more then a 23.

When I bought my glock they had a 32 and 23 in stock but the had a 23 barrel. I was able to get the 32 plus 23 barrel for the price of the 23. The shop owner was looking to unload both.

I prefer shooting it in the 357 sig configuration however I have no problems with the 40 round.

#20 ·
i have both and like both. just a personal preference but i like the .357sig round better. mag capacity is the same so that's not an issue.

i actually shot a uspsa match with my 32 (just to give it and me a test of sorts under pressure) and didn't do too much worse than using my g34.

#22 ·
Well folks, despite my last post, I ended up getting the G23. Mainly because that's what I could find in Gen 4 and I was eager to buy. I probably won't have a chance to get to the range until Friday but I can hardly wait. I've rented a G23 several times (not sure what Gen but not a 4) so it will be interesting to see how much this differs. Now for all the accessories.

#23 ·
Good choice. I really like my gen4 G23 and while I have a 357 Sig barrel for it, I rarely shoot it. Both are great cartridges, but I prefer the .40 as a whole.

#26 ·
I've shot my glock 23 19 and a buddies Glock 20 inside my home through my back door(nothing was in the direction the rounds were traveling) periodically just to see how loud they were with no hearing protection to simulate a HD situation.(assuming you don't have ear plugs next to you're nightstand gun lol) and yes it was pretty god dam loud to say the least but after a couple hours my hearing was normal. BUT, in a real HD scenario you don't really have a choice now do you?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.