G23 or G27 w/23 mags?

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by PhoenixCCW, Oct 8, 2010.

1. PhoenixCCW

PhoenixCCW

I've been carrying my trusty G27 daily for a few years now and decided to try out a G23 mag with an adapter sleeve for grip/fit. It works flawlessly and the gun is not only easier to shoot but conceals just as easily.

So the million-dollar question is do I stick with this rig or get a G23? Is there any real advantage other than the extra 1/2" of barrel length? Or any disadvantage to using the G27 w/23 mags?

2. dwalker84

dwalker84

Longer barrel will equal *very slight* accuracy increase. But nothing to lose sleep over.
    No disadvantage using your setup though.

My carry gun is a g23, I'm in love - but I like appendix carry for ccw when I'm working because I bend alot. The extra length makes this hard to do. I'm currently thinking of getting the g27 or g26 for work ccw.

Honestly if you feel that you can conceal the g23 just as easily, I would upgrade.

Although honestly, if you're going to use the g23 mags, just keep your gun. It will save you the headache of trading or dropping the cash. You're just getting the extra barrel length, no big deal.

I like the length of the g23 grip, the compact versions just fit ME better. Looks like your setup is a good idea, I may think about doing it. :)

Last edited: Oct 8, 2010

3. janice6

janice6

I found I could carry the G27 with a 15 round mag, without the adapter sleeve. I cannot carry a "full sized" Glock in this way.

SMissCCJ likes this.
  4. Bladerunner747

Bladerunner747

Yep, go with a G27 and G23 mags.....way to go, very efficient and you have more options.

5. Opie 1 Kenopie

Opie 1 Kenopie Regular Guy

Ya... what He said. Stick with the 27 and slap in the larger magazines when you need them. Overall you have a more useful weapon in the 27. Looks to me like you're in hot country like I am. The 27 with original or +2 magazines conceals perfectly under shorts and a tee shirt. Then you can carry your G23 or G22 magazine as a high cap reload.

As the weather cools, you can carry with the 23 magazine and mag sleeve for a "Snub-Nosed G23". Accuracy is not a factor and most here would say that the little G27 is AS accurate if not more so than their 23s or 22s. You have amore versatile carry piece with the 27 and your options for mode of carry are endless.

6. randyc74

randyc74 Retired police officer and retired holster maker

I have both a 23 and a 27. My 23 is my LEO duty pistol and spends the day in my duty rig and usually left at work. My 27 is pocket carried to and from work and is my usual off duty weapon. Due to the shorter grip length, I find the mod. 27 a bit better for pocket carry. No big difference in IWB carry. I also carry an extra mod.23 magazine with the 27. I keep extra 22 round magazines in both my duty bag and my personal vehicle. At the range, I don't find a difference in the accuracy of either.

With that being said, if I had only a 23 or a 27, I would probably opt for a full size pistol. In my case, it's a mod. 34.

7. dwalker84

dwalker84

I should have been more specific - with a longer barrel you have a longer sight radius, which will typically make YOU more accurate. There's no difference physically as far as accuracy goes between the two guns. Some actually find that they shoot the sub-compacts BETTER than the compact/fullsize.

Just to clear that up -
    good luck

8. COM165

COM165

I've carried my 27 with the flush mags, +1 mags and 13 round mags with the sleeve as you have. They all work fine depending on location or mode of dress. If you don't have the cash, stick with this set up. If you have some money burning a hole in your pocket, get the 23 or a 22.

I also have a 23. I can conceal it no problem and it has never been uncomfortable to carry. That being said, the 27 with the flush fitting mag is more comfortable due to the decrease in weight.

9. GunFighter45ACP

GunFighter45ACP

Hmmm. You know, I don't know why I've never considered the adaptor sleeve for my G27, but since reading this thread, it might make for a good piece of gear for my G27 range days.

I suppose I could use my G32 mags. Does the sleeve come on & off easily, or is it more of a put in on & leave it on type of thing like w/the +2 extensions? Got any pics handy?

Last edited: Oct 8, 2010
  10. glock-n-roll

glock-n-roll

I had FTF issues with the G23 mags. I also used the sleeves and found that if I adusted them up so they were tight to the bottom of the grip, the FTF went away. That said, I'll never trust them for carry use and they are relegated to range use only.

11. John Biltz

John Biltz

I've got a couple of adapters in the mail now. I decided to give them a try and see hot they work on my G26.

12. PhoenixCCW

PhoenixCCW

Thank you for all of your replies. I've decided to stick with the G27 w/G23 mags when clothing permits, and G27 mags when I need that extra measure of concealment. My range experience yesterday showed the G23 mags to work 100% reliable with several varieties of ammo. I like the flexibility of having the subcompact gun with either subcompact or larger mags.

Then of course there is the emotional factor in decision making... if I'm going to drop several bills on new gun, I'd rather get something new & different rather than a G23 to complement my G27!

What's most impressive is that my small frame (5'8", 165 lbs) started out with a Kahr PM9, then moved to a G27 when I realized it's just as easy to conceal. And now I see it's just as easy to conceal with G23 mags. The legend of the "mousegun" is a myth and these people carrying .380s for protection are all fooling themselves. Concealing a gun isn't all that difficult, of any size, if you just put some thought and experimentation with holsters into it....

13. hamburger

hamburger

Try those grip extentions that allows your pinky to rest on the handle. It's a +1 rounder (unless you've been in situation where you emptied and needed 2-3 more rounds).

I carry a G27. I was a G23 mag in my car just in case. I doubt I'll ever need more the the 9 rounds I carry in my G27, or pray I never do.

14. drew4691

drew4691

same for me when i had my g27 & g23. (I had g27 first then picked up a g23) For me, if i was going to use the magazine extensions or g23 mags, i figured i might as well just have a g23, and lose the g27. And i sold it to fund something else. The 1/2 inch barrel length increase was no problem for me. :wavey: