close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

G23 light question.

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by Jarhead 1833, Mar 28, 2010.

1. Jarhead 1833

Jarhead 1833

Thanks for all the responses to my earlier post about the grip size of a 30SF compared to a 19. Now I have another question.

Long story short, I am going to be getting a pretty good (1 time only) deal on a new handgun from an acquaintance/gun shop owner. I am afflicted with small hands and have found that a 19/23 feels OK in my hand (my trigger finger ends just a smidge past the trigger guard). It feels a little awkward on the trigger but I think that may be due to the trigger safety that I am not used to yet. I was recently given a brand new Streamlight TLR-3 which I really don't want to go to waste. My ideal caliber is the .40, however, I keep hearing horror stories about G23's with mounted lights. I am not a huge fan of the 9mm and considered going to the G30SF. Unfortunately, that is one of the weapons my friend cannot get me a good deal on.

I am considering going with the G23 and just attaching the light when the gun is at bedside and not when I am at the range. It is my understanding that the issues with the G23 w/light occur only after firing rounds with the light mounted. Is this the case, or does the weapon become unreliable even if the light is attached and it isn't fired? If I do start having issues with reliability, will Glock do anything to remedy the problem or am I just SOL? Also, how common are these reliability issues with the G23, it seems like the gun for me, but reliability is a concern for a home defense weapon.

One last question... If a person with small hands were to buy one gun that wasn't a glock for home defense and wanted to spend around the same amount of cash, what brand/models are the most reliable?

Thanks in advance for all the help!

2. voyager4520

voyager4520

Supposedly the light issue with the .40s was due to the magazines somehow. If you were to encounter the problem, Glock would tell you that you need the newest magazine springs which have an extra coil. Some people who've replaced their magazines/magazine springs no longer have the problem, some still have the problem.

Some people have had this issue, some haven't. The only way to know is to test your gun with your light and your magazines. And then some people haven't had this issue until they hit a certain round mark, like 500 or 1000, then the issue pops up. Some people have even had the gun continue to FTF without the light attached.

Glock would also tell you that their pistols will function with their brand light or light/laser.

There just hasn't been enough information and testing floating around to really put one's finger on what the cause and solution are.

What are pistols around the same price mark for someone with smaller hands? Maybe Kahr. They're pretty similar to Glocks. I've never even shot one though.

3. jeffreybehr

jeffreybehr

I shot hundreds of full-power PD rounds thru my new-this-year 23 with a Glock GTL10 lite attached. The gun was 100% reliable with and without the light. I've since converted to .45 G.A.P and use that light on a 38. It too is 100% reliable with and without the light.

[​IMG]

4. jack76590

jack76590

5. sigpro-fessor

sigpro-fessor 5 Times A Day

I know how this thread is gonna go: " my G23 has a gazillion rounds through it with a full-sized mag light on the rail with no failures "

:rofl:

To the OP, if your hands are so small, why do you want a sharper recoiling firearm? Have you fired a Glock 23? Why do you want a .40 exactly?

Last edited: Mar 29, 2010
  6. fuzzy03cls

fuzzy03cls

This. Only way to know for sure.
    And for the record the glock light looks like ***.

7. Glock.23

Glock.23

:agree: