G23 jamming (FTF) need help!

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by Freeman45, Mar 29, 2012.

1. Freeman45

Freeman45

Hello, my g23 is jamming often and i'm hoping someone here can tell me why. The rounds fail to feed, they get halfway inserted in the chamber, and get stuck while the shell is resting on the ramp, and the bullet touching the top of the chamber.

Tried with a clean gun, multiple mags, 2 recoil springs, 3 brands of ammo, different grips.... but I still get the same problem. A jam every 2-3 mags.

I'm using an aftermarket extended bar-sto barrel, as required by law. I have no choice but to use it.

(not my pic, but my jams look similar)
    [​IMG]

Any ideas on how to fix this problem?

2. WinterWizard

WinterWizard

You put in an aftermarket barrel and now rounds are jamming halfway into the chamber. Doesn't sound like it would take a genius to figure it out. If it doesn't occur with the stock barrel, you know it's the Bar-Sto barrel causing the problems.

3. Freeman45

Freeman45

I bought the gun with the aftermarket barrel, I never had the original. So i'm not sure if that's the problem.

Hoping someone else here had the same problems, even with a stock barrel, and could tell me how they resolved their issues.

4. 4949shooter

4949shooter

I bet it will work fine with an OEM barrel. It looks like your barsto needs to be throated. I don't know why you cannot use an OEM barrel, but I would send that one back to Bar-sto and have them work on it for you.

5. dpadams6

dpadams6

For Edc and reliability, stock is always the best.

6. 2740dmx

2740dmx

Most likely the aftermarket barrel?

Man, with a name like "Freeman" and you are required to use a barrel of a minimum length! :steamed:

Canadian, eh?

7. chrisbritt15

chrisbritt15

i bought a stainless lonewolf barrel for my g35 and had problems with FTF, luckly i had my OEM barrel in my range bag. dropped it in and havent had a FTF since

8. voyager4520

voyager4520

How many rounds have been through the gun total? Has the gun had the failure to feed problem since you first owned it, or did this problem develop only recently? What brands of ammo have you tried?

The BarSto barrel may very well be the problem, they have a tighter chamber. The reason Glock factory barrels have a loose chamber is for feeding reliability.

I don't know what length of barrel is required under your laws, but Glock does make longer barrels for countries that have such restrictions. I don't know if Glock would be able to sell you one or if they're long enough for your country's laws.

If the problem only developed recently, there may be gunk built up around the extractor which doesn't allow it to move freely enough. A detail strip cleaning of the slide and its internal parts would fix the problem if that's indeed what's causing it. If you use oil on the internal parts and internal areas of the slide, wipe them absolutely dry before reassembly, any excess oil in the slide internals will cause various malfunctions.

It may also be an out-of-spec extractor which doesn't move freely enough, if that's the case then replacing the extractor should fix it.

Are you using the standard capacity 13-round G23 magazines or the limited capacity 10-round magazines? The standard capacity .40 magazines made recently may have excess plastic at the front of the feed lips which can cause failures to feed, but I've never heard of the problem existing in 10-round magazines.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2012
  9. T-Rod45

T-Rod45 Loves The Glock

My G23 has a stock barrel and had the same exact issue, but only on the last round, and only 4 times out of 1,200 rounds, and only with 2 out of my 4 mags (2 each).

Now I'm tempted to say it was the mags, and I'd usually just dismiss a failure rate of 4/1200 on a range blaster, but this is my EDC gun, and none of my other Glocks have ever had a single failure of any kind, so those are the 2 factors that are really even making me think twice about this.

Since my last range session I stripped the slide and cleaned it (wasn't very dirty at all), so we'll see what happens. Funny thing is, what you're describing happened 4/1200 with the factory barrel in .40, but with my 9mm Lone Wolf barrel I have 500 flawless rounds of weak 115gr with no issues.... Go figure.

10. OldSchool64

OldSchool64

+1 about extractor issue... The extractor may be preventing the base of the cartridge from rising up to the proper position against the breech face.

11. voyager4520

voyager4520

There was an issue with .40 magazines marked "1" or "2" next to the Glock logo on the rear of the magazine where there may be excess plastic at the front of the feed lips which causes failures to feed. I had it happen with one of each type of G23 magazine, after shaving that plastic away they work flawlessly now.

See this thread:
    https://www.glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1410147

Glock seems to be aware of the problem, the latest G23 "2" magazines and 22-round .40 magazines that I bought already had that plastic shaved down.

12. Freeman45

Freeman45

Thanks for the lengthy responses, much appreciated!

About 1500 rounds. FTF problems from the start. Warranty expired before I noticed.

Remington UMC 180gr, Winchester ranger, and a 3rd I can't remember.

Should I attempt to remove some material in the chamber or ramp to bring it closer to glock specs? If so, how would I go about this?

There were a few times when the round jammed before it even touched the extractor. Just sitting at the tip of the slide, right below the extractor. So... i'm not too concerned about that.

Only 10 rounders, but I get the same jams with all 6 of my mags, so I don't think that could be the problem.

I'm just trying to fix it so that I can sell the thing. I hate the recoil, and the size of the grip... it scares me and is leading to a nasty flinch. So I don't really want to put any more money into it, by buying another barrel or going to a smith... i'd like to fix it myself, if possible.

13. voyager4520

voyager4520

It must be the barrel.

14. cciman

cciman MacGyver

Send it to Bar sto, let them know your problem, and have them rework, or send you another barrel. Tell them it happens with all ammo.

Assuming they are like most firms, they should help you out.

If they do not, look at another maker: KKM or LWD.

Is a stock barrel not legal for you?

15. Freeman45

Freeman45

I sent them an email but I doubt they will do anything about it. They say "we don't ship outside of USA" on their site...

I'm not sure about stock length, It's gota be a minimum of 4.2" long around here, I believe.

16. voyager4520

voyager4520

Stock barrel length for the G23 is 4.02 inches/102mm.

17. fuzzy03cls

fuzzy03cls

Couldn't you throw in a G22 barrel?

18. M&P15T

M&P15T All Hail King Kona

I love it when people come and post their problems, and throw out weird crapola like "I'm using an aftermarket extended bar-sto barrel, as required by law".

Add in how many people have weird, paranoid dillusions that stop them from telling us where they live, and how such non-sense is relevant to the situation. For Chrissakes OP, the problem is obviously the barrel. Where do you live that forces you to have an after-market extended barrel? Why didn't you just get a G22 in the first place?

Sorry, grumpy today, but the same stuff repeating over and over and over and over again is getting on my nerves.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2012
  19. T-Rod45

T-Rod45 Loves The Glock

Thanks! I'll be sure to look into this...

20. barefoot

barefoot

So the stock 23 barrel is too short? put an OEM 22 barrel in it.

When the crazy-ass gun laws make the guns unreliable, that's just too freeken far.
    :steamed: