Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased a G23 gen4 and wanted the option to covert to 357sig and use as a carry gun. I have read many thread's that people have had no issues and replaced nothing but barrel. There were others that had feeding issues. i also read that the gen4 models have different magazine follower, trigger housing and extractor and different rear sight height! I really don't want to completely rebuild my G23. Will my gun be reliable to use as a carry gun with only the barrel and magazine followers replaced?

·
#787 Top Gun .357sig
1,403 Posts
I had a G32 and used a G23 barrel in there with no issues. I also used the same magazines at the range and never experienced any malfunction. With that said I did purchase 2 .40 magazines to have when on duty simply because Glock changed the followers between the two and in the event that I am in a situation I prefer to have matching equipment. Enjoy the cartridge brotha

Reactions: kjphilippona

·
Banned
6,833 Posts
The OEM Gen4 G23 with OEM G32 barrel is every part identical to an OEM Gen4 G32 except:
1. Rear sight elevation (G23=6.5mm; G32=6.9mm)
2. Ejector (G23=28926; G32=30499)
3. Model/caliber markings on slide's left side.

The Ejectors are identical except for a slope difference at the tip face. This may be ignored.

Although there have been in the past very noticeable differences in magazines, the Rev. 9 40SW follower appears identical to the Rev. 3 357SIG follower...and the current Rev. 10 40SW follower appears identical to the current Rev. 4 357SIG follower.

Caliber conversions between 40SW and 357SIG are the only caliber conversions sanctioned by Glock.

The G32 barrel is in stock direct from Glock for $125 plus tax and shipping. You must call Glock with your pistol serial so Glock can verify you aren't going to use it on a Gen2 model with serial before CPU###US.

https://store.teamglock.com/barrel-g32-357.html

Those who report problems using a 40SW Glock with OEM 357SIG barrel would also probably be having problems using an OEM 357SIG Glock...or they have other problems with their 40SW Glock caused by something else other than the OEM 357SIG barrel. The pistols are almost identical, after all.

The conversion to 357SIG is extremely reliable and highly recommended. You may like it so much you'll change the rear sight and ejector to 357SIG versions and put away that 40SW barrel semi-permanently.

·
Registered
2,613 Posts
I have my G23 Gen4 with a .357 barrel in it for years and never had a problem I am using .357 sig mags for it those.

Reactions: kjphilippona

·
Banned
6,833 Posts
FWIW, the easiest 40SW pistol to convert to 357SIG is the OEM Gen3 G27. With OEM G33 barrel it is every part identical (including sights and ejector) to an OEM Gen3 G33 except caliber/model marks on the slide. If it has the LCI extractor that's even better (but models without it may be updated with new extractor and spring-loaded bearing).

The same is true of a Gen2.5 G27, but it:s too early to have the LCI extractor unless it was upgraded by the user.

The Gen4 G27 has the same sights as the Gen4 G33, but uses ejector 28926 instead of the G33's 30499. Both have the LCI extractor.

·
Registered
2,147 Posts
I purchased a OEM 32 barrel for my Gen 4-23 from Glock a few years ago and switch between 40 and 357, I only have on mag marked 357, it's a 10 rounder for a 31 from the FAWB in the 90's that is never used.

the only change I make when switching to 357 is to run an aftermarket 20 lbs. RSA, I reload so with the 20 pounder I'm not chasing brass into the next county.

just a heads up, its gonna be loud with a big muzzle flash, I mean "announcing the guy next to you" loud, so double down on hearing protection (plugs and muffs).

·
Registered
9,982 Posts
I often switch my Gen4 G23 to shoot 357 sig as well. I installed the G32 ejector, and it works flawlessly with 40cal, so I just leave it in. I also have dedicated 40cal and 357sig factory mags just because I often switch over. At this point, I just swap barrels and use the appropriate mags and I'm ready to go. And yes, it's a hoot to shoot 357 sig at an indoor range and look at the little puddles under the shooters beside me.

·
18,953 Posts
The difference between the rear sight and the ejector are so minuscule as to be insignificant. The difference in rear sight height especially, is not enough to effect point of aim.

I don't care for the muzzle blast of the 357 Sig however, and though I have a 357 Sig barrel for my G23 , I carry it with 40 S&W 180 grain HST's. Regardless of what "ballistic equivalency" theorists say, both the 40 and the 357 Sig are superior to the nine and are just about equal to each other with maybe a slight ballistic edge going the the 357 with full power loads.

But for me, that slight advantage is negated by the fact that after shooting both cartridges in my gun, I can shoot the 40 better and would never want to use the 357 for home defense indoors.

·
Banned
6,833 Posts
I agree that both 40SW and 357SIG are excellent cartridges compared to that popular pedestrian round which is esteemed by the "less is best" crowd.

There are good reasons that 357SIG comes out on top of 40SW. Here's a list using a G27 to G33 comparison to show some of the benefits of 357SIG compared to 40SW:

-> Ballistics
A G27 firing 40SW 180-gr JHP typically produces MV=975 ft/s, ME=380 ft•lbf, and PF=176 kgr•ft/s.

A G33 firing Underwood 357SIG 125-gr JHP typically produces MV=1410 ft/s, ME=552 ft•lbf, and PF=176 kgr•ft/s.

Both loadings produce about the same recoil estimated from the power factor PF* (muzzle momentum) calculation, but the 357SIG load produces 45 percent greater muzzle energy. Bullet trajectory is flatter due to higher velocity allowing less bullet drop over any specific target distance.

-> Feed Reliability
The bottleneck 357SIG cartridge feeds more reliably than the straight-wall 40SW cartridge.

-> Chamber Support
Unlike the OEM G27 barrel, the OEM G33 barrel chamber provides perfect 100-percent cartridge case support, even above the feed ramp, along with the tightest of Glock OEM chambers. These advantages are made possible by the bottleneck 357SIG cartridge.

-> Magazine Extension Capacity (if used)
The "+" Magazine Extension 7151/7165 adds TWO rounds to a 357SIG Magazine but only ONE round to a 40SW Magazine.

A weapons-duty 357SIG cartridge sometimes costs a few pennies more than common calibers, but cost should not be THE most important criterion for selecting a cartridge for one's defense.

* PF = Buller Weight gr x Bullet Muzzle Velocity fps / 1000

·
Registered
7,179 Posts
The 357SIG shoots much flatter than a 40, but with far greater recoil. Don't know why the ejectors would have a different part number, after all the back end of a 357 is a 40 case, except a thicker web internally. Unless you reload , ammo is quite expensive.

These all make Major power floor, 125 gr Montana Gold, 125 gr Bayou and 151 gr Blue Bullet.

·
Registered
293 Posts
I bought a 357sig conversion barrel from the Glock store for my G23-4. I haven't shot it yet. I know it's a ripper. I had a Sig229 40cal back in the day and bought a 357sig barrel at the same time. , I loved shooting it.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
I had a franken Glock 32 (gen4 Glock frame, Lone Wolf gen3 slide and barrel) and used .40 mags without issues. I've sold the gun and switched to 9 since I reload 9. I'm selling off my 357 ammo.

·
Registered
525 Posts
G23.4 with OEM 357 Sig barrel. No issues. Love the set-up. I have had a few FTE with some of the older Gen 3 mags i have in both the 40 and 357 set-up. No issues with the Gen 4 mags.

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
Sig M11, load up your 357 sig mags and hit up the next GSSF match. Have a fun shoot and get the magazines up dated for free.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts