close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

G23 Gen3 FTFeed - Glock can’t fix it

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by Sprock, Jul 16, 2011.

1. Sprock

Sprock

I have a third generation Glock 23 which has had an ongoing failure to feed (FTF) problem. This was my first pistol, and at this point may be my last Glock. In training classes, the instructors told me I must be limp-wristing it, so I kept working to correct my grip. The cartridge hangs up at an angle on the feed ramp. Jarring the pistol causes the feed to complete. There seems to be no connection to how full the magazine is.

The problem happens with every ammo brand I tried including:
    Remington UMC 40 S&W 180 gr (10% FTF)
    Winchester white box 40 S&W 165gr (5% FTF)
    Hornady 40S&W Critical Defense 165gr FTX (5% FTF)

I’ve tried 5 different magazines: 3 new 10-round, 2 pre-ban 13-round (I’m in New York). All magazines have #1 followers and 9-coil springs.

I gave a box of the Remington ammo to a friend who has the identical pistol and he had no problems.

Following my first conversation with Glock I received three 10-coil springs and three #5 followers. (It took a month to receive the replacement parts.) The #5 followers would not fit in the magazine, they scrape on the sides. But I tried one of the springs. No change in results.

I sent the pistol to Glock for repair. Over a month later I received it as “repaired” with no changes I could recognize and no description of what was done. My first shot with the repaired pistol resulted in an FTF. In all, I got a 25% FTF rate. It seemed worse. I asked the owner of our local firearms school to try my gun. He experienced the same failure rate. (He shoots Glock.)

I sent the pistol back to Glock. Over another month later I received the repaired G23 with what appeared to be a replacement 10-round magazine and no description of what was done. At the range, my third shot with that magazine was FTF. I tried the Remington and Winchester ammo above. I tried all my 10-round magazines including the one just received from Glock, and also the one with a 10-coil spring (which Glock sent earlier). All combinations resulted in frequent FTF.

This time I took the gun to the dealer from where I purchased it. He tested and was able to reproduce the problem. He is now talking to a Glock representative and I’m waiting to hear back.

My gunsmith tells me that he has seen a pattern of problems specifically with the G23. He has heard of this pattern from other gunsmiths also.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get Glock to take care of this?

Attached Files:

2. GlockinNJ

GlockinNJ

3. Bushflyr

Bushflyr ʇno uıƃuɐɥ ʇsnɾ Millennium Member

Round off the sharp corner on the bottom of your extractor. Sometimes that type of failure can be caused by the extractor catching on the case rim.

As for getting Glock to take care of it, sounds like you're doing the right thing. Get your dealer and the G rep involved. They'll probably swap it out eventually.

4. Sprock

Sprock

Thanks for the suggestion, Bushflyr. My gunsmith tried polishing the extractor. The picture doesn't show it, but the cartridge isn't even touching the extractor in the FTF position.

5. bentbiker

bentbiker

Any chance your breech face is rough, preventing the base of the case from sliding up the face and in behind the extractor?

6. Sprock

Sprock

The first thing the gun dealer (who has it right now) did was to polish the breech face. He still had the problem.

7. shadow65

shadow65

Just curious, did you fire your friends identical Glock with no issue?
    Dave

8. Sprock

Sprock

Good thought, but no. I didn't pursue that after a seasoned Glock shooter had the same problem with my gun that I was having. Next chance I get I'll do that, though.
    ...Mike

9. Bushflyr

Bushflyr ʇno uıƃuɐɥ ʇsnɾ Millennium Member

Next thing I would is throat and polish the chamber a bit. Find out exactly where the case is hanging up then it should be an easy fix. Maybe on the top edge?

10. whitebread

whitebread ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Change the magazine followers to #8 or higher.

11. Sprock

Sprock

If #8 followers are important, why do all new magazines in the stores right now still have #1?

12. stang68

stang68

Sorry to here about your problem. I have a G23 with over 1100rd's threw it with out any problems. I really hope glock dos he right thing and sends you a brand new 23

13. jack76590

jack76590

I had a similar problem with a Gen 3 G22 and Gen3 G23. When hung up would feed, if pulled back slide and released.

I tried different weight (geneally heavier) mag springs and recoil springs. While got better never acceptable. I sold G22 and will probably sell G23. Never sent back to glock as figured I would pay expensive shipping to get there and they would do nothing. I have read of the experience of others.

The Gen 4s in 40 caliber may work out ok, so far looks like glocks in that caliber are performing well. I might in future trade my Gen 3 G23 for a Gen 4 version or I might just sell.

As an aside my Gen 3 G27 works/feeds great with the 9 round mags designed for it. But put in a G23 mag in the G27 and jam city. And jams with or without my fingers on the extended part of G23 mag.

While I believe glocks can be good guns they can be spotty and I am not into the "legendary reliablity of glocks" cult.

14. John Eastwood

John Eastwood

Don't give up on Glock. My first handgun was the G20 that had an ongoing FTF issue which was verified by several rangemasters. Glock tried to fix it 3 times. It was...a lemon. After a G22, 2 G19's, and a G34...I'm happy to report ZERO malfunctions in those weapons after an undocumented 50,000 rounds. Duds Happen; in cars and the "Perfection" inspired Glocks.

Glock only sent me a free G19 after the police report of an armed burglary at my house. Luckily, I had just rolled up at my house (with my pregnant wife) and was able to 911 the LEO's. My defunct/lemon G20 was in my truck after a long range-day of FTF's. It was as worthless as a rock; right when I needed it.

After that, my then-pregnant wife sent the police report, along with the weapon, back to Glock for the 4th time. They literally called me in 3 days and asked what Glock I wanted. Free of charge. I said ''G19". They sent it UPS straight to my house in a brown box, and I have never had an FFL. True story. Don't give up 'till the fat lady sings and all options are exhausted.

15. Njanear

Njanear Nagant-ophile

Are you looking at the followers or the actual magazine shell (the exterior)? I haven't seen a #1 follower in a G23 magazine. :dunno:

16. sigpro-fessor

sigpro-fessor 5 Times A Day

Permanent fix: Gen3 Glock 19. :whistling:

17. jfrey

jfrey

Stick with it, it can be fixed eventually. Have your LGS check the chamber to see if it needs polishing. Get a new extractor anyway. Sometimes it is little subtile things that don't jump out immediately but you will find the problem if you keep looking. Is your LGS a Glock armorer? Call Fred at Glock CS and discuss it with him, in person.

18. voyager4520

voyager4520 -----

How old is the gun? How many rounds have been put through it? Are you using any aftermarket parts?

Those loads are all relatively weak loads, the Hornady isn't too weak but it's still loaded light. Try some American Eagle or Speer Lawman.

It looks like you have the new Metal Injection Molded extractor. That may be the problem, the newest extractors have widely varying specs. In a 9mm, a "tight" extractor would cause mostly failure to eject. In a .40, a "tight" extractor would cause mostly failure to feed.

Try a different Glock-made .40 LCI extractor, or try a Lone Wolf Distributors-made .40 LCI extractor. You could have your gunsmith install it for you, or if you want to do it yourself here's a detail strip video that'll show you how:
    Detail Strip: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oV0wDDFV0NY
    Lone Wolf-made extractor: http://www.lonewolfdist.com/Detail.aspx?PROD=155981&CAT=136

The #5 followers are meant for the pre-ban standard capacity magazines. Those magazines will only accept #1(1028) through #5 followers. 10-round magazines have their own unique followers and springs that are not compatible with standard capacity magazines. Don't send any pre-ban magazine in to Glock without speaking with them first, Glock can't return pre-ban magazines shipped to them from some states and I'm pretty sure NY is one of them.

And to your question, "how do you get Glock to take care of this?", if the problem is the extractor they likely won't fix it.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2011
  19. GIockGuy24

GIockGuy24 Bring M&M's

Maybe try a different factory Glock barrel. Some barrels don't tilt down as far as others.

20. GlockinNJ

GlockinNJ

As I've reported on GT, I've had FTFeed problems with my G33 Gen 3. After trying different ammo and different mags and different shooters, the vast majority of problems occurred with S&B ammo using Gen 4 mags. I have no idea why. I ditched the Gen 4 mags and only use Gen 3 and I don't use S&B ammo, though another thread finds that ammo very reliable.

I just chalk it up to a quirk with my G22. Rather than spend the rest of my life trying to diagnose this gremlin, I am just sticking with what works. My gun seems to like Winchester ammo - either WWB or Ranger. I have close to 1,000 rounds with that ammo through my gun with no failures.

Of course, I don't entirely trust the gun, which sucks. But, I'm not getting rid of it yet. If it stays flawless with this ammo, I'll just go with it.

Best of luck to the OP - I'll be following this thread. Hope you figure it out.