Glock Talk banner

G23 for a woods gun.

1199 Views 25 Replies 15 Participants Last post by  Faulkner
Is the G23 good for woods protection. I don’t have or want a 10MM but I do have a .45 1911. Looking for opinions on which would be better G23 or 1911? Thanks.
21 - 26 of 26 Posts

· Registered
1,376 Posts
Everything I’ve read says the ballistics are very close. Closer than 9mm and .40. Maybe someday I’ll get a .357 or .44 Mag but for now these are my most powerful handguns.
Hard cast, FMJ or an XTP loading from Underwood is not to be underestimate. 180gn at 1080 to 1100 fps is 464 & 484 ft-lbs respectively. Ive gotten 972 fps with a Buffalo Bore 200gn hard cast from a 23.

· Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
I think the G23 will be fine.
I’m in East Tennessee and I would feel just fine with it.

I will say however, hogs are tough critters.
In the very unlikely chance you “HAVE” to use the .40S&W, keep shooting until the hog stops.
My best advice would be to stay away, and back off.
But in reality the hogs will likely run off way before you even need to consider drawing your firearm.

Good luck to you neighbor. And stay safe(y)
That’s pretty much the plan for any dangerous thing I happen to run into. Shoot until it stops or it gets me which ever comes first. Believe me I’m not going to instigate. Any encounter will be completely by chance. I’m to old to be trying to wrestle any wild animal. Lol.

· Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Hard cast, FMJ or an XTP loading from Underwood is not to be underestimate. 180gn at 1080 to 1100 fps is 464 & 484 ft-lbs respectively. Ive gotten 972 fps with a Buffalo Bore 200gn hard cast from a 23.
Those are some good numbers for sure. I was thinking about Underwood‘s extreme penetrator or similar.

· NRA Life Member
75,701 Posts
Is the G23 good for woods protection. I don’t have or want a 10MM but I do have a .45 1911. Looking for opinions on which would be better G23 or 1911? Thanks.
Any time self-defense is involved, I'd go with the G23 over the 1911. Weight, simplicity, capacity and fewer sharp edges.

· NRA Life Member
75,701 Posts
Typically, though, for a woods gun I often carry one in 22LR, either a Ruger Bearcat or Ruger SR22.
I don't understand the point of that. Not accurate for hunting small animals and too small a caliber for self-defense. If I was carrying it to shoot squirrels or something, I'd at least get a target-quality Ruger.

Reactions: Matteo1371

· Patriot
1,795 Posts
I don't understand the point of that. Not accurate for hunting small animals and too small a caliber for self-defense. If I was carrying it to shoot squirrels or something, I'd at least get a target-quality Ruger.
Actually, either are plenty accurate enough. I've taken a dozen or squirrels with a Bearcat and several more and a coyote with an SR22, all stoked with CCI Stingers. No sense in debating the self defense aspect of a .22 LR, I'll concede it's not optimal but not useless either. But for a woods gun, and I've been trapesing in the Arkansas big woods for decades, I like to carry something light weight and I like a smaller size.

Now, for jungle carry, either Amazonian or mid-town, I would prefer something more substantial.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts