Glock Talk banner

G23 for a woods gun.

1198 Views 25 Replies 15 Participants Last post by  Faulkner
Is the G23 good for woods protection. I don’t have or want a 10MM but I do have a .45 1911. Looking for opinions on which would be better G23 or 1911? Thanks.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

· Super Moderator
Glock 45/19X
10,939 Posts
Is the G23 good for woods protection. I don’t have or want a 10MM but I do have a .45 1911. Looking for opinions on which would be better G23 or 1911? Thanks.
Welcome to GT.

What would be the likely threats in your area? Generally speaking a G23 would be fine overall unless your area has mega fauna like moose, brown or grizzly with a high likelihood of an encounter. A 180g FMJ would yield the best penetration although a HP may be fine against smaller threats.

Common threats could be a rabid or diseased animal.

· Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That’s a fairly subjective decision. I have both and either would be adequate although I find the G23 a little easier to carry and it holds almost double the ammo.

Typically, though, for a woods gun I often carry one in 22LR, either a Ruger Bearcat or Ruger SR22.
Thanks for the reply. A 22 would be great for squirrels but this is more for dangerous animals. We don’t have grizzlies or moose in Tn but there are plenty of smaller threats. I do agree that the 23 is easier to carry.

· Registered
1,756 Posts
In my experience the ACP rules as a field gun.

In the field I use no ear pro, and the .45 ACP has the most gentle of all pistol calibers. Large bore, low pressure rules the day.

There are plenty of other good reasons for it but this one tops the cake for me. I'm 69, have shot for more than 50 years and still have no need of hearing aids and would like to keep it that way.

· Registered
229 Posts
Most likely a hog, feral dog with a possible but rear chance for black bear. It’s middle Tennessee so nothing to large.
I think the G23 will be fine.
I’m in East Tennessee and I would feel just fine with it.

I will say however, hogs are tough critters.
In the very unlikely chance you “HAVE” to use the .40S&W, keep shooting until the hog stops.
My best advice would be to stay away, and back off.
But in reality the hogs will likely run off way before you even need to consider drawing your firearm.

Good luck to you neighbor. And stay safe(y)

· Premium Member
15,136 Posts
I carry a gen3 g23 or baretta px4 compact in 40sw loaded with 165gr hst or Sig165gr.
Here lately it's been the baretta px4 compact. It's been a very good pistol to shoot and very reliable.

· Registered
1,376 Posts
I carry a 23 or a Steyr L40 into the woods. Hardcast or XTP Underwood with no second thought. I’m just to the north in Kentucky

· Mr. CISSP, CISA
24,206 Posts
#1. It depends on the woods. Polar and Griz and Brown, are BIG bears. Black can get big, but generally not aggressive. Most of the people I know don't go armed into the woods or around the farm. It just isn't needed.
#2. I think most people shoot a bigger gun (G17 is bigger than G19) better. So, a full sized gun over a compact, but the micro carries better. So...
#3. Lets talk cartridge... For personal protection from people, any of the major cartridges will do 9mm-45ACP are the normal ones. So the question is about bear... Lets assume BIG BEAR, I would rather have a 45ACP/Super over a 40S&W. But if I shot the 40 better, I would take it.

Reactions: -JV

· Registered
109 Posts
Between those two, I lean towards the 1911 .45ACP, supposing it could penetrate better in a problem bear or a particularly badass boar. And supposing it’d be easier on the hearing. Thanks, Catshooter, for the reminder about unprotected ears. Now I’m having to rethink 4” and 6” .357 vs. 5.5” .45LC vs. .45ACP Glock 30 or 1911. Dang-it!

· Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I’ve only had the 1911 out on one range trip so far. It is an accurate gun and I really like it. The G23 I’ve had for probably 6 or 7 years so I’m more comfortable with it. Everything I’ve read says the ballistics are very close. Closer than 9mm and .40. Maybe someday I’ll get a .357 or .44 Mag but for now these are my most powerful handguns.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts