close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

G23 firing pin wear question

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by paddle007, Jan 19, 2010.

1. paddle007

paddle007

I posted this question in the gunsmithing section and got one reply. Hope I am not boring you with something you looked at already:yawn:
    Just received my The Complete Glock Refrence Guide and decided to strip and clean my slides. All three of my slides were purchased used and I have no idea if they had ever been thoroughly cleaned. My 27 was dirty with metal shavings and what I expect is the typical crud. My 19 was identical to my 27 in terms of debris. Now when I stripped my 23 something was different. I noticed deep in the firing pin hole debris/metal flush against the bottom of the hole next to the firing pin slit. After inspecting the firing pin there is noticable wear in the area the firing pin safety engages the firing pin.[​IMG] My first thought was milling debris never cleaned out but after thinking about it I assume the firing pin safety is wearing the firing pin. This was purchased used so I have no idea of round count. Does not appear to have been through the ringer. FWIW I have used a .357sig barrel and ammo. I can't imagine it making a difference but I have been suprised how dots are connected. It is a 3rd gen. 23 Of course I will replace the safety and firing pin. Just joined the GSSF and can't wait to take the Armorers class. Trying to gain Glock knowledge as I think we will be sharing the same space for awhile.

2. mongo356

mongo356

3. paddle007

paddle007

Thanks Mongo:notworthy::notworthy: Thats what I was looking for. My connector does tend to slide outwards as the firing pin safety is depressed. Will centering the connector to the safety help?

4. mongo356

mongo356

Probably not...one thing about Glock parts they don't modify easily. Usually replacing till it fits right is the action to take.

If you are new to Glocks I would recommend taking it to an armorer.

That said the issue you have is common and usually doesn't result in any problems. I would have an armorer check the safeties and shoot the heck out of the gun, repeat as necessary.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2010
  5. Butch

Butch RetiredDinosaur Millennium Member CLM

Firing pins are a bit spendy, I'd take it to a GSSF match where the factory armorer can fix/replace free....while you wait.

6. paddle007

paddle007

Thanks guys....I have not found an GSSF event locally. I might just ship it to Glock and let them bless it. Shipping is cheaper than a firing pin.
    I am an automotive technician with 36 years experience. The same drive that led me towards rebuilding, repairing and understanding machinery also drives me with my new found interest in Glocks. That being said I have gained some great info from these forums. :cheers: Keep up the great work.

7. jbackus

jbackus

Hey I hate to perform thread resurrection but I was wondering if you (or anyone else) could possible copy and past the information you linked to about wear on the striker.

I joined this site just to see that thread and now I find out that apparently that thread you linked to is " so volatile" that I can't view it for a month.

8. Butch

Butch RetiredDinosaur Millennium Member CLM

Well, at least ya joined! Welcome!

No, it won't open for me either.....I suspect it's just outdated....as in 'gone'.

9. Made in Austria

Made in Austria

The firing pin of my gen4 G23 shows the exact same wear. I thought that this is caused by a bad timing (trigger bar could be bent wrong) of the trigger bar so that the nose of the trigger bar pushes the firing pin safety block up too late so that the firing pin hits the FP safety block a little bit when the FP flies forward.

But today, I don't think that this is the cause of that odd wear mark because the firing pin safety block reaches it's full upper position way before the FP gets released, and I would get light primer strikes all the time. I also never let the FP snap forward against the FP safety block, which would explain this wear mark very easy.

The only thing I can think of which could cause this is when the FP pounces back and forth against the firing pin safety block when the FP gets released and while the slide travels rearward after a shot had been fired, but not sure if the remaining energy is enough to make such a dent in hardened steel. Maybe I keep my FP channel too clean. I can imagine that a dirty FP channel slows down the bouncing, but not sure.

This is also a dangerous safety risk because if it gets worse over time the tip of the firing pin could come through the breach face hole and could ignite the round even if the firing pin safety block is in it's lowest position.

I hope someone on here can explain why my firing pin shows this wear mark. I have other Glocks with an higher round count but none of them shows it that much, just a little bit.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2012
  10. mongo356

mongo356

11. voyager4520

voyager4520 -----

My G23 and G27 firing pins have the same wear but it's not as bad.