close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

G23 conversion barrel

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by chromedomepinoyboy, Jun 11, 2010.

1. chromedomepinoyboy

chromedomepinoyboy

If I get the 40-9 conversion barrel for the G23 and change out the extractor, would the new extractor be compatible with the original barrel and .40S&W? Which extractor would I need to get to go with the 40-9 barrel?

Thanks in advance.

2. JR

JR Moderator Millennium Member

There are tons of threads out there telling the clueless readers they need to change extractors, ejectors, spring loaded bearings and more. I have absolutely no idea where they come up with this stuff?

LWD has been offering 9mm conversion barrels from the very beginning. Yes we are the original guys who released the project with Federal Arms. The 40-9 barrels are drop in. All you need is a 9mm magazine and this conversion barrel, you are good to go! If the barrel runs 100% reliable with all the 40 goodies intact.... How much better do you expect it to run by changing the other parts? 100% equals 100% right?

About 1% of our conversion barrels are affected by the poor performance of Winchester White Box (WWB) 115 grain ammunition. This rare failure is too low a percentage to make an issue, however it is one we are well aware of. The fix to resolve this issue is quite simple.

1 Clean and lube your slide and barrel.

2 Shoot 1 mag to 1 box of good quality +P or +P+ ammunition through the barrel.

3 Go back to the WWB 115 gr ammunition. If it runs... great! If you experience more failures you will have a couple choices to make.

Fix A Reduce the recoil spring weight to 11 to 13 lbs. Cost is about $25 for stainless steel guide rod and reduced power spring.

Fix B Shoot 124 gr or a better quality 115 gr ammunition exclusively. WWB 115 gr ammunition is no longer a valid option.

What causes this problem? Several issues come into play.

1 The 40 slide and (40 conversion) barrel is thicker than any standard 9mm slide and barrel. This extra thickness equates to more weight. The combined extra weight taps the energy of the "weak" WWB ammunition to its complete demise. It simply lacks in power and fails to reliably eject the spent round.

2 Every once in awhile a Failure To Feed/Failure To Eject (FTF/FTE) is caused by a fit issue. We resolve fit issues by pumping +P or +P+ ammunition through the gun. This hot ammunition provides extra pressure and the pressure will positively align any and all components. Once they are all aligned there is no longer a fit issue. The FTF/FTE is usually resolved.

FYI: WWB 115 gr ammunition is the weakest sub standard ammunition you can purchase. This ammo is also known to produce failures in all standard Glock 9mm pistols.

3. chromedomepinoyboy

chromedomepinoyboy

Thank you very much. I guess that's why we ask the experts. Now I just need to wait until they're in stock.