close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

G23 barrel in G27? Done it? Worth it?

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by GlockStacker, Jan 16, 2011.

1. GlockStacker

GlockStacker

My daily carry is a G27 with G23mag and mag spacer by ProMag IWB kydex. I have about a decade of muscle memory with this gun and holster and it will probably always be my carry gun. Lately I have been tempted to "improve" it by adding a G23 barrel. I have already done trigger and recoil work and am very happy.

Assuming many here have done this was it worth the $100-$150 for the inch and minor increase in velocity? I know it adds a few oz of tacti-cool. I am thinking I want a non-compensated barrel and probably a LW or SL or KKK but would love to hear any feedback on that as well.

Yes, I do own a G23 and yes I have dropped the bbl in to try the idea out but the 23 is my wife's purse gun and she is very picky about it being complete when we go out.

Thanks in advance.

2. Glock4President

Glock4President

I don't think you get much more velocity if any at all, but if you like the way it looks, then go for it. You might as well just carry the g23. It will make it the same length and might get barrel lube on your clothing.

3. GlockStacker

GlockStacker

Well... I sure would hate to "have to" buy a second 23, especially in OD but half of the issue is the holster which I dearly love and can't find another one of. It was a really early kydex made by some guy in a garage, none of the new ones fit like it does. It won't accommodate a 23 but will take a 27 with long barrel. Besides a bbl is 1/5th the cost of the 23 and my tolerant wife does have limits.

4. Captains1911

Captains1911

Whats the point? What do you mean by "it adds a few oz of tacti-cool"? What are you hoping to gain by doing this?

Why would you mess with a gun you have carried for 10 years, especially if it requires a new holster? And I definitely wouldn't rely on a non-factory Glock barrel in a carry gun.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2011
  5. HK Dan

HK Dan

If I'm not mistaken there are issues with the recoil spring. I vaguley remember trying it once, having it not work, but didn't really look into it.

6. GlockStacker

GlockStacker

I meant that it made it look cooler. No, I wouldn't change holsters. The factory barrel advise is excellent, thanks.

According the the glock meister barrel compatibility chart you can use the 23 bbl in the 27, I have cycled the slide with my wifes 23 bbl and it works fine. I also tried a 22 bbl and the recoil spring does NOT like that.

7. Captains1911

Captains1911

So you are attempting to make your defensive carry gun look cooler? I still don't understand.

8. GlockStacker

GlockStacker

I might as well confess, I am a reformed 1911 guy and half the fun was customizing them and fixing all the "weak spots" along comes glock and for a long time all you could do was a little work on the trigger and that was it. So I got used to it. Anyway, my G27 has been my constant companion for so long I wanted change it up a bit but not in anyway that negatively affects it.

The cool looks is a factor, the individuality is a factor, the velocity would be a minor plus as it is likely no more that 30-50 fps. I read a long thread about the chrono on a 30 vs. a 21 and that was about the gain there.

9. Glock4President

Glock4President

It probably would look hot, but you might not want to do any modificationsto a carry gun. If this was strictly a range gun, I would say go ahead and do it. It will definitely look sweet. My opinion here. Maybe even a chrome barrel, to really pimp it out.

10. rlb72556

rlb72556

I am new to the forum and this may well get me 'ousted', seems to me that there are some stuffed shirts on this forum that have nothing better to do than be a bunch downers.
    I too have the some general questions on the inter-changeability of barrels within the Glock family. I have an old G23 that I was tinkering with the notion of cutting the grip frame to accept the g27 mags. The generally accepted rule is that the length of the grip frame is the tale-tell when it comes to printing. Hey, it's an idea. O.K. Now they can oust me. God bless.

11. barth

barth six barrels

Have it, like it, works fine in a G23 holster.
    In 40 I don't really think it's worth the money.
    Unless that little bit better accuracy matters.
    But getting a 40-9mm conversion barrel?
    Yup, for me it's worth the price of admission.
    BTW It's 1/2 inch longer, not one (3.46" to 4.02").

My personal opinion for what it's worth.
    Barrels, and how they match to a particular slide, are unique.
    I currently have three Storm Lake barrels and a gen 3 G27,
    1) G23 40 is more accurate than OEM, but nothing dramatic.
    2) G27 40-9mm is crazy accurate with GDHP 124
    3) G23 40-9mm is crazy accurate with GDHP/Federal/Wincheter 124/127

I actually got the second 9mm barrel for Self Defense and wanted the full
    1220 fps 410 E from the GDHP 124 +P. Just got lucky with the accuracy.
    I've fired over 3500 rounds through the Storm lake barrles
    with 100% flawless function.

[​IMG]

One box each;
    Speer Duty GDHP 124 +P,
    Winchester Ranger T-Series 127 +P+,
    Federal HST

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 4, 2012
  12. jw38

jw38

Some times, "stuffed shirts" need to be called on it. Thanks for your input. By the way - WELCOME to Glock Talk and the Wonderful World of Glocking. Everyone here has done some form of tinkering, experimenting. Thats what makes Glocks rather unique. Lots of good information on this forum, thats why you see so many people checked in and just looking around. Have fun, be safe and keep very good notes of "every" little thing you do.