Glock Talk banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My brother-in-law recently purchased a G22 generation 4 pistol. He subsequently purchased from the shop where he had bought the pistol a Lone Wolf conversion barrel to allow him to fire 9mm ammo. The individuals in the shop appear quite knowledgeable with the Glock firearms and indicated that he would need only the conversion barrel and the appropriate 9mm Glock clip; which they ordered for him.

The barrel and clip came in, the shop removed the .40 cal barrel and clip, installed the conversion 9mm barrel and clip. My brother-in-law went to the range the next day and fired the pistol with the 9mm set-up. The first round fired fine, but the pistol jammed while advancing the second round into the chamber. He cleared the weapon, re-loaded and commenced to fire. Again, the first round discharged fine, but the pistol jammed on advancing the second. This scenario occurred three more times, at which time he stopped. He tried shooting both 115 gr and 124 gr FMJ ammo and both performed in the same manner. The spent case was extracted successfully each time.

Can anyone shed some light on this problem? Any thoughts and comments will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks and regards,

Greg

·
Premium Member
3,151 Posts
Needs to change the trigger housing to the 9mm housing/ejector. The 9mm ejector has a slight bend to it for the smaller 9mm case, where the .40 ejector is straight. Sounds like the shop isn't quite as knowledgeable as they think. :dunno:

see example of 9mm ejector in this pic

·
Registered
4,556 Posts
The first round fired fine, but the pistol jammed while advancing the second round into the chamber. . . The spent case was extracted successfully each time.
Greg, can you clarify as to the nature of the jam? When you say the spent case was extracted successfully, do you mean by hand, or did the spent round eject correctly before the jam?

·
Super Moderator
20,478 Posts
What brand of 115-gr and 124-gr ammo? There are vast differences in power levels between manufacturers. As stated above, the half-moon cutout is different to accommodate the larger recoil spring assembly. The problem is either the barrel or the ammo. Has he fired any .40 caliber through it?

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
What brand of 115-gr and 124-gr ammo? There are vast differences in power levels between manufacturers. As stated above, the half-moon cutout is different to accommodate the larger recoil spring assembly. The problem is either the barrel or the ammo. Has he fired any .40 caliber through it?
Remington. No, he has not fired any .40 cal through the pistol. He wants the .40 cal for personal defense, but wanted the ability to fire 9mm from the cost perspective. As noted in a earlier reply in this thread, he is considering the purchase of a G17 Gen 4 in addition to the G22.

·
Super Moderator
20,478 Posts
I suggest he get 100 rounds of 40 and fire the pistol as designed to be fired. I am beginning to suspect he would have problems shooting a .22LR pistol. Perhaps he should consider a revolver.

·
Giggity-Goo!!!
4,046 Posts
WHY WHY WHY do newbs keep buying LW conversion junk? I'll say it and I'll say it again: Buying aftermarket parts for your Glock will question its reliability.

I've bought a LW 40-9 conversion barrel for my G35 and had loads of problems. LW told me to spend more money fixing it. I ended up selling it and now it's some one elses' problem. Before the LW, my Glock was perfect. It's perfect again without the junk LW barrel.

·
Registered
624 Posts
I have to agree with giggity on this one. LW barrels are not that great. Had alot of problems with them. I switched to KKM and had a lot better success. Would the extractor be the problem? OP states that the shell ejected but had problems feeding the next one. I don't think that you have an extractor problem. Seems like a feed ramp issue. I would try the stock setup and see if there are any issues but I am betting it is the Lone Wolfe barrel that is causing the problem.

·
NRA Life Member
73,562 Posts
He needs either a weaker recoil spring or a more solid grip - 9mm doesn't have the slide cycling energy of .40 so he experienced what I heard Clint Smith call "slide reciprocation issues" but the rest of us call "limpwristing", probably compounded by the tighter LW chamber.

There is almost certainly nothing wrong with his gun or conversion barrel. Changing out the ejector may help with the angle of ejection, but short cycling of the slide is causing failure to feed - not the .40 ejector.

The easiest fix is for him to learn to shoot - the second easiest is a new uncaptured guide rod and a light ISMI recoil spring.

By the way, after 20 years of shooting Glocks I have finally achieved my own limpwrist malfunctions. I took some very light (probably below power floor) 9mms to a local IDPA match, in a Glock 17 that I had bought new, used a few times, then left sittting, uncleaned, for over a year while I was out of the country. The slide was very noticeably stiffer than my wife's old 17. Every time I shot 1-handed, right or left, I'd have repeated malfunctions, but it was fine 2-handed. Needless to say, my wife beat me in the match.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I also have the Gen 4 22 and enjoy shooting it except for the cost factor. I seem to have a lot of 9mm on hand (even though I am always using my OTHER 9) and can always find it cheaper than the .40. I have been looking for the best price I can get on a Gen 4 17 or a second generation 17. Besides we can never have enough pistols and rifles. Oh and shotguns. Right?

·
Registered
2,886 Posts
WHY WHY WHY do newbs keep buying LW conversion junk? I'll say it and I'll say it again: Buying aftermarket parts for your Glock will question its reliability.

I've bought a LW 40-9 conversion barrel for my G35 and had loads of problems. LW told me to spend more money fixing it. I ended up selling it and now it's some one elses' problem. Before the LW, my Glock was perfect. It's perfect again without the junk LW barrel.
I agree, unless your a guy who likes to tinker with stuff. If used for CC or HD no way would I do aftermarket on any gun

·
Registered
665 Posts
The OP stated the fired shell ejected. The problem is not with the ejector. The problem is that the G22 slide is heavier than the G17 slide and the Gen4 recoil springs in the .40 are considerably stouter than a G17 spring. Try a softer spring or just shoot some +p 9mm and it will cycle fine.

I have been shooting a Gen 3 .357sig barrel in my Gen4 G22 and even though the barrel lug moon cutout is very slightly different, there is no functional issues. Most glocks have the recoil guide rod "walk" up closer to the barrel after being fired anyhow.

Lone Wolf makes a very good product for a competitive price. Most of the problems people have are easily correctable. The LWD barrels are tighter than stock Glock chambers so if your personal ammo doesn't chamber the barrel might need some polishing or to have the edges at the 4 to 8 o'clock positions "softened".

·
Registered
211 Posts
The OP stated the fired shell ejected. The problem is not with the ejector. The problem is that the G22 slide is heavier than the G17 slide and the Gen4 recoil springs in the .40 are considerably stouter than a G17 spring. Try a softer spring or just shoot some +p 9mm and it will cycle fine.

I have been shooting a Gen 3 .357sig barrel in my Gen4 G22 and even though the barrel lug moon cutout is very slightly different, there is no functional issues. Most glocks have the recoil guide rod "walk" up closer to the barrel after being fired anyhow.

Lone Wolf makes a very good product for a competitive price. Most of the problems people have are easily correctable. The LWD barrels are tighter than stock Glock chambers so if your personal ammo doesn't chamber the barrel might need some polishing or to have the edges at the 4 to 8 o'clock positions "softened".
The recoil assembly for the Glock 17 and 22 are the same. Both 3rd and 4th gen.

I know some people that actually use a conversion barrel for carry and they are fine. They changed the trigger mech housing (ejector) and the extractor. And the spring loaded bearing.

The barrels also may not be optimized for the new generation recoil assembly.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.