Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My new G22.5 is very soft shooting. None of the snappier recoil associated with .40. Feels barely more recoil or flip than my G17.5 with +P loads.

This seems to be internet opinion. I don't have an earlier one to compare.

Does anybody have one of each and can compare them?

·
******* Handyman
1,373 Posts
I don't notice any of my 40 pistols being snappy at all. My favorite is a 22 gen 2 and I use fairly warm 180s in it. To me it feels no different than a compact 9.

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
I have a G22 Gen 5 and a G17 Gen 5. The G22 Gen 5 has less recoil than a G22 Gen 3 or Gen 4. The 17 Gen 5 with +P or lawman loads feels like the G22 Gen 5. The G23 Gen 5 is the same, very soft shooting compared to the others. They are a lot of fun and .40 ammo is nearing 9mm in price.

·
Registered
440 Posts
I have had the 27, 23, 22, 35 and 24 as well as some 9mm and .45 acp models. I find the subcompacts (27, 26) to be the "snappy" pistols. I think it has more to do with pistol weight and balance than caliber.

·
MacGyver
8,471 Posts
Snappy is a matter of acclimation, level of experience, and training (ie. a subjective concept of "recoil"). After a few hundred successive rounds, or the end of a multiday training class, that gun that was recoiling or heavy trigger pull, becomes "barely feeling it when it fires".

·
Registered
473 Posts
I had a Gen 5 G23. It was definitely softer shooting than my Gens 2,3 & 4 G23’s. More importantly, it worked well with a WML, something the Gen 3 & 4 did not do.

l carried GLOCK .40 S&W’s, G23/G23/G27 exclusively on duty for 25 years until I switched back to 9mm and .45 acp a few years ago. (The reason I switched was the unreliable performance of the .40 S&W GLOCKs with WML’s) after the Sheriff approved 9mm and .45 a few years ago I made the switch. Had the Gen 5 .40 S&Ws been out earlier I probably would have stuck with .40.

Anyway, I bought a Gen 5 G23 to test with the WML. I was impressed with the performance over the previous Gens. Definitely less recoil and reliable with a WML. I was impressed. This is the .40 GLOCK should have always had instead of stuffing .40 in a pistol designed for 9mm.

But since I carry .45 acp or 9mm these days I gifted the Gen 5 G23 to my godson. I still have my Gens 2,3 and 4 G23’s and will always keep them. And if I ever seriously considered going back to .40 S&W, the Gen 5 G23 would be it!

·
JABRONI AUTIST
7,969 Posts
I have the Gen5 22 and 27 and shot them side by side with a Gen5 17 and 26 and I really the recoil difference is very very little, if it wasn't for the .40's being heavier I'm not sure I would have known which was which. The earlier .40 Glocks, Gen4 and below used the same width slide as the 9mm and there was a bit of a difference in recoil, still not "great" but more noticeable than you get with the Gen5's.

·
MacGyver
8,471 Posts
I have the Gen5 22 and 27 and shot them side by side with a Gen5 17 and 26 and I really the recoil difference is very very little, if it wasn't for the .40's being heavier I'm not sure I would have known which was which. The earlier .40 Glocks, Gen4 and below used the same width slide as the 9mm and there was a bit of a difference in recoil, still not "great" but more noticeable than you get with the Gen5's.
What ammo were you comparing in the .40 and 9mm?
Did you shoot all gens side by side, or just the Gen5, and going by "memory" and "recall" on the previous gens?

In previous gens, was it the same ammo as currently used in this comparo?

·
MacGyver
8,471 Posts
My new G22.5 is very soft shooting. None of the snappier recoil associated with .40. Feels barely more recoil or flip than my G17.5 with +P loads.
An invalid comparison .40 to 9mm+p?

Reactions: Mark2Glock

·
Registered
7,082 Posts
@bigsteve113 pretty much nailed it. I agree this is what the glock .40s and .357s should have been from day one.
the gen 5 unquestionably have less recoil than their earlier generation counterparts. my 23 is an absolute joy to shoot. it is just pleasant. I could shoot it all day long.

·
******* Handyman
1,373 Posts
Still not wanting gain an extra 4oz or so to carry. Even the G 21 is lighter and would therefore get a 10mm to whoop ass with.

·
Registered
7,082 Posts
I am confused by your post @Mark2Glock
Glock's site has a G22.5 @ 28.43oz unloaded and 37.32 oz loaded
the G20.4 is measuring in at 30.69oz and 39.86oz, respectively.
the G21.4 is coming in at 29.28oz and 38.8oz.

·
******* Handyman
1,373 Posts
I was told the gen 5 we're 4 oz heavier.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts